“Excellent Cape tour by mini-bus and bike”

Daytrippers - Day Tours and City Cycle Tours
4-Hour Cape Town City Cycle Tour
Ranked #38 of 332 Tours in Cape Town Central
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun ,alternative,active since 1992Daytrippers offers scheduled day trips,with legendary picnics, leaving from Cape Town every day.We do optional cycling and hiking on our Cape Penninsula tour,cycle in the winelands,city cycling tours ,mountain biking trips,whale watching tours,Township tours.Also specialize in multi-day cycling,mountain biking,hiking tours for groups.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

After seeing the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor I booked the full-day tour to the Cape of Good Hope for my wife and I. Before booking I was unsure about the bike ride but had confirmation from Daytrippers that it was optional. The price was very competitive and it promised to be a more enjoyable trip than the conventional bus tour.
The tour driver / guide was Sele and he did an excellent job - very friendly, likeable, reliable, helpful and informative.
We were picked up at the hotel in Cape Town Central on time in the ~12 seat mini-bus with the bikes in a towed trailer.
First stop was at Hout Bay for the optional 45 minute boat trip (R50) to Seal Island. Very enjoyable and many good photos were taken.
Next stop was Boulders Beach to see the Penguins. Again very enjoyable and yet more good photos.
The third stop was in the Cape of Good Hope National Park where the bikes were unloaded. The bike journey was 7km mainly downhill or flat with a short stretch up a gentle incline. Not having ridden a bike for over 40 years since I was 20, to my surprise I found the ride exceedingly easy and thoroughly enjoyable. It really did seem more like 2km.
(Sele said that he would follow after about 2 km and pick up anybody that did not want to continue with the ride - not needed by anybody on our trip.)
Sele duly went ahead to lay out the included open air pic-nic lunch by the Visitor Centre - an ample buffet salad, rolls, crisps, an excellent curried pasta, fruit etc.
After lunch we continued to Cape Point to climb to the lighthouse and then went by the bus to the beach. Yet more very good photos.
The day went exceedingly quickly as the scenery is first class, Sele was an excellent guide and the fellow travellers good company.
Would I recommend the tour company to friends? Definitely.
Could it have been better? Yes - by spending even more time at the stops. I would have loved to have spent 4-5 hours at Cape Point and 1 hour at Boulders Beach. This would probably have meant hiring a car which I was not prepared to do on my first trip to South Africa. Next time I would hire a car so I can explore the area in more detail and probably stay overnight.

1  Thank StuartFromKirkham
There are newer reviews for Daytrippers - Day Tours and City Cycle Tours

Reviewed February 24, 2013

With only one-day to sight see on a work trip, this was recommended and it fit the bill. Not your usual bus tour! Caters to the backpacker crowd, so no worries about being stuck with people who want to share endless pictures of their grandchildren and walk slowly! Sele was our guide and did a great job. Tour includes a 45-minute boat tour (extra R50) to see a seal island and the coast from the water. A stop at the penguins, then cycling 10 K or so in the Cape National Park to our picnic lunch, with lots of time to stop and take photos. Sele had picked up the lunch nearby. Just the right amount of fresh food and we ate outside, so no noisy restaurant.
Lots of time to enjoy the Cape of Good Hope and a comfortable bus. Others in our group had taken their wine tour and were still talking about it two days later. I would book with them again anytime.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Four of us arranged to do the tour of the peninsula. Great day trip, had the opportunity to see a few different areas including the Cape of Good Hope. I thought that was pretty cool to see. Liked our tour guide - Sele - was a personable guy. We biked through the park for about seven km then had lunch. It's a pretty easy bike ride despite being in the direct sun. The bikes were a bit rough but I suppose that it to be expected in this type of situation. I left my hat on the van and three days later I managed to have it dropped off at my hotel - Thanks for that daytrippers staff. Better late than never!

We arranged for a second tour, this time focused on the wineries. On the morning of the tour we were picked up by a different tour company. Africa stories or something like that. That guide was excellent and we enjoyed the tour But, a little heads up notifying us that we should be expecting a different tour company would have been appreciated. All in all, great tour - would recommend.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We booked a wine tour to Stellenbosch and Paarl through Daytrippers. Shelley and Ricky were very attentive and the trip, led by Massimo, was good fun and informative. We visited 5 wineries, seeing a range of operations from large scale to boutique. Starting the day with some bubbly was super and the braai lunch was tasty. The vibe is young and not stuffy, which was just what we wanted and the price was very competitive.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We signed up for this tour in order to experience the Cape of Good Hope and see the penguins at Boulders Beach. The tour was that and more. We took the optional boat tour to Duikers Island to see the fur seals. The interaction with the other tourists on the boat was worth the 40 Rand fee itself. We had close-up views of the African penguins, biked 12 kilometers through the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, had a picnic lunch at the visitor center and hiked at the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point. There were ten on this tour, representing an international cross section. Our guide, Alexei, was the best - knowledgeable, friendly, and engaging. It was like taking the tour with a good friend.