“To avoid absolutely”

Cape Town
“To avoid absolutely”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Went with my girlfriend.
We are living close by and the idea of having a nice place close to our home to go to once in a while was a pleasant idea.
The decoration is very nice and it stops there.
The waiter "knows" everything, very blaze...and the menu......you pay per 100g....so if you have an idea of how much 100g is then you are fine with ordering many 100g...and you pay a fortune.
Quality of the meat more than poor.
Will never go again.

• Visited March 2013

England
“Pleasant location for breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Lovely to sit out in the warm sunshine for an African breakfast. Staff are very attentive there is a Jazz brunch here on Sundays.

Visited March 2013
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Cosmopolitan and lively cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

This restaurant was only five minutes walk from the Protea Hotel where we were staying and was worth every step to be in such an atmospheric place. Smart efficient service with a large and varied menu and a very cosmopolitan group of people from all ages and backgrounds, the last meal we had in South Africa was extremaly memorable not least for a group of youngster celebrating a birthday with out any yobbish boreish behaviour.

• Visited October 2011
Deal, United Kingdom
“Overseas visitors with chip and pin credit cards only go if you have cash!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

I took 3 friends to lunch at the Courtyard Cafe, one of whom is a friend of the owner. The meal was super. we each chose a different dish, all of which were of a high standard. The ambience was good and our waiter - Selina, I think, was charming and very attentive.

I paid with my international chip and pin card and explained to the waiter that chip and pin card slips do not require a signature. The problem being that some establishments have machines with elderly software which still prints a signature line.

A supervisor was called and agreed that C&P card slips do not indeed have to be signed. At this point we left the courtyard and went into shop within the hotel. Imagine my surprise when I was persued initially by the receptionist to whom I explained that a signature was not required despite her insistance that it was,Then by the Food and Beverage Manager, Kaya [---] who despite my explaining I had a chip card and put a pin number in threatened to reverse the transaction and call the police By this time my patience was wearing very thin! .At my insistence the receptionist rang their bank who indeed confirmed there was no requirment to sign the slip.

Apart from being extremely annoyed by the whole fiasco I was extremely embarrassed as were my friends by this young man's behaviour. My freind was keen to contact the ownre, Frances Wainford and tell her about the incident. I felt it only correct to allow the Hotel General Manager to have the opportunity to deal with the incident. His PA to whom I spoke confirmed that no signature was required and expressed dismay about what happened, saying she would refer it to the GM whom she was sure would contact me.. Despite reminding the PA I was still waiting to hear, I have had no word of apology from the hotel which I find astounding, and hardly the way to encourage visitors in what is a depressed tourist market in Cape Town.

Given their total lack of concern around their food and beverage manager's behaviour I do not feel able to recommend this establishment to anyone - it could happen to someone else.

Hopefully they will now train their staff appropriately, and perhaps advise the GM that the way to keep customers happy is to speak to then when they make a comlaint directly to his office - at which point I should be delighted to return as the time up to the paying of the bill was most enjoyable!

• Visited January 2011