“Dinner at Planet Restaurant at Mount Nelson Hotel”
Review of Planet Restaurant

Planet Restaurant
Ranked #122 of 1,196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Bowl
Description: The glittering Planet Restaurant and Planet Bar are chic, contemporary spaces in which to enjoy out-of-this-world dishes and cocktails. Dining with the stars is guaranteed at Cape Town's most stylish restaurant. Crystal balls grace the entrance and the decor includes a galaxy-themed carpet, planetary chandelier and twinkling ceilings. Matching the decor are Chef Rudi Liebenberg's heavenly menus, journeys of gastronomic discovery featuring the freshest local ingredients. The unique, intimate atmosphere of the Planet Restaurant cellar is an ideal venue for a perfect private party.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My family and I had dinner at the Planet Restaurant at the Mount Nelson Hotel on Saturday 26 October. We were a party of 6 (adults and teenage children). The meal was excellent and the quality of the service superb. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to have a special dinner out or celebration. We all enjoyed the experience without exception.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Graham Beck and Krone hosted a very special Champagne evening in the planet restaurant.
The evening began with a cocktail party with different champagnes and delectable canapes.The mushroom tartlets were utterly divine.The Krone rose was full of body and taste-i was less convinced with the sugar free Graham Beck Zero,which I described as like a steak without the beef!The blanc de Blanc though more than made up for it.
Champagne always gives a place a happy buzz.One birthday girl certainly enjoyed herself,perhaps a little to much!!!It all added to a wonderful experience.
The food was created by Rudi and his team and even accommodated dietary requirements which is excellent when they have produced a set menu.
The highlights for me were the wonderful crunchy,white asparagus,a very special mushroom ravioli(instead of the prok belly as I do not do pigs) and the confit of duck which was utterly heavenly.When I suggested to Rudi they would have been better leaving the foie gras off this dish,as it is difficult to pair with champagne,he told me he had spent hours discussing this with his team,as he too was worried about it.A very refreshing answer.it was very good and decadent though!
Had this been in the UK the cost would have been around 3000 rand,so at 500 including the tip at was one of the bargains of the year.
I, certainly, went to bed happy,having had a really special evening with lots of laughter.
Kendal Mint

Each course was accompanied by a different champagne poured and described by the effervescent Pearl.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I just ate dinner here and celebrated his birthday! The food was great and the service was fantastic!!! Emmanuel helped us through out dinner and he did a fantastic job suggesting the best things on the menu! He went out of his way to celebrate my husbands birthday and we could not be more thankful!! I could not recommend a better restaurant in the Cape Town area!! Good food, fantastic service, and awesome atmosphere!! Emmanuel made our dinner experience one we will never forget :)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The welcome was rather over zealous and it took rather more explaining than necessary that we would not be ordering wine, the starter of ceviche was delicious, the quail beautifully presented the little copper pans very pretty , the blackboard/ slate effect plate -not so successful - cutlery and blackboards are not a happy match. And a fun strawberry dessert. Selecting chocolates at the end was fun - though the hard sell on cognac was tiresome ( we don't drink!). Paying the bill our booze obsessed waiter thought it funny to say m card had declined ( it had gone through) my guest quickly offered to pay - then we realised that this was an " amusing " joke. No, it was crass and inappropiate and this bungling service is what lets the restaurant down.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Well hidden in the labyrinth of The Pink Lady of Cape Town, The Mount Nelson Hotel.
A well designed floor plan ensures that no matter how busy it never feels crowded.
A stellar experience to be sure as the carpet is apparently an exact replica of the sky over Cape Town, Milky way and all, so as to dine above the stars.
The reception is friendly, the Maître De is charming and the waiters well versed in the preparation and tastes of the menu.
A plethora of amuse bouche and warm breads with dips, precluded the main course, which was very well presented.
However, pleasantly presented, I did find my rib eye steak a bit "chewy" which one does not expect in a restaurant of this calibre, and my preference of bleu steak makes it a bit messy.
My companions, one of whom had the fish of the day and the other chicken, were very happy with their choice, so maybe the luck of the draw was against me.
The wine selection as recommended by the Sommelier was appropriate to the dishes ordered.

Very good but not great and needs a bit of fine tuning.

2  Thank Drymen76