“Could not experience”

Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Bowl
Description: The glittering Planet Restaurant and Planet Bar are chic, contemporary spaces in which to enjoy out-of-this-world dishes and cocktails. Dining with the stars is guaranteed at Cape Town's most stylish restaurant. Crystal balls grace the entrance and the decor includes a galaxy-themed carpet, planetary chandelier and twinkling ceilings. Matching the decor are Chef Rudi Liebenberg's heavenly menus, journeys of gastronomic discovery featuring the freshest local ingredients. The unique, intimate atmosphere of the Planet Restaurant cellar is an ideal venue for a perfect private party.
Pretoria
“Could not experience”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We tried to make a booking for the Chef's Table, would have booked the whole table as I understand it is private and needs minimum of 6. You are able to see the Chef in action while enjoying a 6 or 7 course meal.

We were not allowwed to make the booking as 2 of the guest are under 16, they are 12 and 14. The children and their parents are arriving from the USA. On our visit to USA recently they treated us to an unforgetable meal at Volt (one of US best), also having 7 course meal. We wanted to return the favour.

I don't understand we are booking the whole table and are prepared to experience this meal with children who love good food. Does the Chef not want to do this?

I see it as a meant to be as I was struggling for 3 days to try and make the reservation. Monday evening left a message with somebody, I will be called back. Tuesday I get to speak to somebody give my email address and I will be mailed all the details. Wednesday morning call, leave another message, somebody will be calling me. Wednesday evening I call, and this time they did help me and then told no children under 16.

Good luck to all trying to make a reservation!!!!

2 Thank Marlissavz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Walnut Creek, California
“Elegant Victorian Dinning”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had dinner at the Planet Restaurant recently. This restaurant is located in an old fashion Victorian style hotel, the Mt Nelson. The restaurant decor is not quite as Victorian as the hotel. The hotel and grounds were designed to be more English than its Victorian contemporaries in England. The restaurant's atmosphere may be a little stuffy for some, but does its best to both fit the hotel’s and have some semblance of the contemporary.
The restaurant is a fine dining experience with a fairly wide variety of dishes including the chef's upscale take on local fare. The ingredients were fresh, and, at least for a tourist, often exotic. This is a moderately expensive restaurant.
Dinner's here start rather later than we are accustomed, so when we arrived at 7:00 we were the only customers, but by 8:30 the restaurant was 75% full.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Just for a drink after work...”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I never stayed overnight at the Pink Lady - but I love the Planet Bar for a afterwork drink with colleagues. The setting is just awesome - the oldfashioned hotel, the beautiful tranquil garden and all of this in the middle of Cape Town. Perfect to wind down!!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Celebrate New Years Eve in flip-flops and worn out T-shirts”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Used to celebrate New Years Eve at the Mount Nelson, we were quite shocked about this year's atmosphere: We experienced a New Year' s Eve party with a lame and unmotivated band, uninspired dinner, people with flip-flops and worn out T-shirts and poor manners. A pub atmosphere in a 5 star hotel. You can do much better "Nellie"! Mount Nelson in general cares about dress codes and behavior. High Tea is still divine.

Kraaifontein, South Africa
“Wedding of the year”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Excellent food, tablesetting, beautiful decor , professional staff. Beautiful garden. It had been a wonderful experience