“Should've been a 4 if not for Server”
Review of La Boheme

La Boheme
Ranked #35 of 1,224 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: also operates during the day as La Bunixa tapas bar.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We visited here on a Friday evening and the place was buzzing with locals and tourists. We were ushered in to wait on a couch for a table to become available. The hostess and what I presumed to be the manager were both gracious and attentive. Our server however seemed undertrained and overwhelmed.

There are no menus here, they opt for a huge chalkboard which they bring by your table to help you decide. This can be a bit cumbersome when it's busy because our server propped the menus up alongside another couple dining which made my fiancée and I both feel bad for the couple and made us feel like we should rush to order. In my opinion if you are not going to have menus available to patrons which is perfectly fine, at least have a menu on your website so that people can walk in with a general sense of what's on the menu.

The Server, who never gave her name or engaged us in any conversation other than taking our order (a first in Cape Town as people are generally friendly and curious) propped the menus up and then walked away. She took our orders and didn't realize that the starter I ordered wasn't available until another server made her aware a bit later, she offered no recommendations to substitute or wine suggestions to my fiancée. I finished my drink halfway through the meal and was never offered another drink. We finished our meals and our plates sat in front of us for about fifteen minutes before they were cleared, but when they were, although we ordered the 3 course meal we were not offered a dessert menu until another 10 minutes after.

I ordered the Ostrich Meatballs with Pasta which I found to be absolutely full of flavor and quite pleasant. My starter was the beef salad which was also delicious and I finished off with a hot brownie and ice cream which was a perfect end to the meal. My fiancée ordered the pork belly which she did not enjoy, started with Pork Won Tons which were actually really good and finished with a Caramel & Banana Crepe she enjoyed very much. Aside from the pork belly which was very much just a preference thing, the food was fantastic. I will be dreaming of the Ostrich Pasta when I return to the states.

All in All the food was great, the environment was buzzing and full of locals and tourist which provided a nice balance. The server was the biggest letdown and it really seemed as though she was new as she kept on seeking validation from someone who seemed to be the manager. After reading so much high praise from tripadvisor about the service here we felt a bit letdown by the experience our server provided but would definitely return since the starters, desserts and main courses were so delicious. Maybe next time our server will be better.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We go here a lot and love the ambience and the food. It is done very well and the owners are involved which is always a nice touch. This restaurant remains very popular with the locals and this is always a good sign!

The price points and the wines by the glass are also exceptional value. Will happily return.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great three course menu. Good value, wonderful choice and very tasty food. Service was very friendly and attentive and all in all made for a wonderful first night in Cape Town.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We booked this restaurant after reading the reviews on the 'Tripadvisor' website and I'm so glad we did.
The food was fabulous, both in taste and presentation.
The portions were generous and great value for money.
As the 'Dinner' menu wasn't available until 6pm we had a couple of Tapas and a few drinks before moving onto the 'Dinner' menu.
The menu had something for everyone -fish, beef, pork, duck, ostrich as well as various veggie meals.
I would highly recommend that you give this place a go if you're ever in Cape Town.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Small bistro style restaurant, offers exceptionally good value 2 and 3 course menus as well as a la carte.
Always busy, seating in-side must be booked in advance, outside seating on a first come basis, but often full, mostly thanks to the great value and laid ack, comfy atmosphere - definitely recommend for a relaxed meal out.