“Excellent”

La Mouette Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Mouette Restaurant opened in 2010 by Chef and co-owner Henry Vigar, his wife, Mari and their business partner Gerrit Bruwer. La Mouette offers seasonally inspired and modern food. With ever-changing and seasonally inspired menus, friendly staff and a beautiful and unique venue, La Mouette has become a firm favorite with locals and regulars as well as established itself as a return go-to for our international guests. We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Wonderfull diner in a stunning atmosphere ! Food was delicious ! Excellent service and certainly a place to come back to !!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,537)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The restaurant is very promising from the outside. I must admit that I did not have a good look at the decor inside, so I cannot comment on that. The service was consistently excellent and the food arrived very quickly. The portions initially seem small but once you start eating you realise they are big enough, sometimes a little too much (as with my main course).

The starter's flavours danced on my tongue - there was literally a physical sensation. I had a similar experience with the dessert. I liked how they combined different textures and flavours and tried to turn a dish into an experience and an adventure. That said, they sometimes mixed flavours that ended in a culinary confusion, with some flavours being overwhelmed. I also found that my main course became too heavy eventually and that was fish.

The capuccino was really not up to standard, unfortunately. There was also the issue of foam with the dessert. I do not understand the obsession with so many South African restaurants with spit on a plate. A lot of countries got over that culinarily stupid trend a long time ago. At least the foam was thicker than in other restaurants and at least it had some flavour.

The food is expensive, which would be okay if the standard was a bit higher. They are trying but they still have some way to go if they are going to justify the prices they charge.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were really looking forward to eating here, but it was one of the most disappointing meals we've had in ages.
I guess most people come for the tasting menu, but it looked boring and uninteresting so we opted for a la carte which had a few more interesting things on the menu.
The food was pretty...pretty bland, pretty cold, pretty horrible!
The salt n pepper prawns had been fried hours before they hit our plate and either kept warm or reheated. They were soggy and tasteless.
As was the duck spring roll on the assiette of duck. Even the crouton that came with the parfait was limp and lifeless and soggy. The smoked breast was tough as old boots and no hint of smoke at all. I liked the parfait tho.
Then the mains...dear od dear. Those horrid little precooked shrimps turned up on my plate again with a very overdone piece of angel fish and a few mussels. A wee blob of aioli in the middle was quickly smothered in a bland and cold fish stock sauce. 2 more soggy croutons hung limply over the side of the bowl. The nicest thing on the plate were 2 ripe little tomatoes used as a garnish!
Our other main course was the springbok medallions. They were cooked to med rare as requested, but I have to say I'm not convinced that that was springbok on my plate. Some type of buck yes, but the taste and texture was miles apart from the springbok I'd eaten elsewhere a couple of weeks before. Again, the nicest part of the plate was the garnish of candied walnuts!
I guess things would have been a whole lot better if the food was freshly cooked to order and not just taken and plated from a whole bunch of precooked ingredients.
We decided to skip dessert!
Maybe we should have had the tasting menu like everyone else.

1  Thank katstrange
La Mouette R, Owner at La Mouette Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Katstrange

We are truly sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your dinner at La Mouette.

We re an owner run establishment who prides ourselves on our offerings and service. We of course want you to enjoy yourself for that fact and again can only apologise that you didn't enjoy your meal.

We are an all year round very busy restaurant with a small seasonal menu therefore our stock is turned on a daily basis with the chefs in the kitchen from 8am every day even though we only open for dinner as everything needs to be made again on a daily basis. The chef is also an owner and takes great pride in making everything fresh on the day - again we are sorry you didn't experience it as such.

We have always been seasonal and true to the ingredients, sourcing only ethical meats and sustainable fish as well as using organic produce from small local suppliers - this also includes what we write on the menu. The springbok is in fact springbok and we are happy to provide our supplier's details if required.

We thank you for your feedback and have communicated it with the chef accordingly. All the points raised in your complaint have been noted and will be investigated back to the night that you were here.

Kind regards
Mari, Gerrit and Henry
Owners at La Mouette

Reviewed October 17, 2013

yep it's true. and it is DELICIOUS! impeccable service, beautiful restaurant, fab food. it's just a shame there was building work going on next door, spoiling the view. don't let that put you off. it's worth the trip to get there.the whole meal ( aperitifs, 2 x 6 course taster menus, 2 bottles white wine, tip = £80. what a night!)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We visited this restaurant as it was close to our hotel and had received great reviews here on tripadvisor. The service was great and the restaurant had a lovely feel to it. The waitress originally placed us next to the fire and then realised that because of a larger group it could be noisy so offered to reposition us. We had the tasting menu which was delicious and great value. Would definitely recommend if you are visiting Cape Town and staying in that area.