“Beautiful location.”

Ranked #76 of 1,226 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Steeped in over 300 years of history, the former guard house, tea room, hotel and the hunting lodge of Lord Charles Somerset has been elegantly restored with the charm and sophistication of the Grand Old Cape. The style of cuisine at The Roundhouse is uncomplicated, contemporary French, inspired by seasonal ingredients and paired with one of the finest boutique wine collections in South Africa.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I had dinner our last night in Cape Town on a recent trip. We had drinks at one of the outdoor tables before our dinner. What a beautiful spot! We had lovely views of the ocean. The staff kindly brought us some sparkling wine and canapes.
The dinner itself was nice. The menus are "set" so to speak. We had a choice of 4 course or 6 course tasting menu. I would have preferred a more a la carte menu as neither my husband nor I care for dessert, but our meal was fine, though I thought some of the meat dishes were a tad heavy and heavily salted but that is our personal taste. We had a really lovely meal and would recommend The Roundhouse.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I were recently in Cape Town and have been wanting to try this place for a while. We live in London and my husband is from SA. This is not a place locals go, only tourists - enough said! The service is very good, the food was beautifully presented and served piping hot, but it lacked flavor. We had the 4 course a la carte menu with pairing wines. The meat course was very tasty, but the others looked amazing, but didn't taste of anything. It's a shame as there are some amazing restaurants in Cape Town and they are a fraction of the price. Don't waste your money for dinner. The other thing is that the staff, although very professional, are extremely formal, and there is no South African charm that you find at so many other restaurants in the Cape and Winelands.

Save your money and go somewhere else.

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Had never really eaten food before that looked like such art. The 4 course menu had such great options and each one was incredible. Being from England we couldn't believe the price. About £40 pounds a head and a meal like this in England would amount to around £200 a head so we were delighted with the value and especially the food. This beautiful place should definitely be tested by all staying in Cape Town. I couldn't fault a single thing I ate from beetroot salad, panga risotto, lamb neck with pea purée and Eton mess to finish. Not to mention all the little tasters in between!

1  Thank gbrown_12
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We didn't go into the main restaurant, which I have heard mixed feedback on, but to the outside eating area.Here they only serve pizzas. The pizzas are pretty average to be honest. But you go for the view and the location, not if you are hungry. Its a lovely place for children to run around, despite having a lot of posers there - but sadly does not have a children's menu. The wine is pretty expensive, but they have a good range of craft beer at reasonable prices.

The service is great and the staff are really friendly and they have the nicest car park attendant in Cape Town!

The views are simply incredible - but make sure the south easter is not blowing.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Very special service, great sommelier and great value tasting menu. They found out it was our honeymoon and gave us a menu with our name on and free champagne. Food was delicate, carefully balanced and interesting. Wonderful location and view.