“Nice and clean room but filthy kitchen and poor service by reception staff..”

Ashanti Lodge Green Point
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our triple room was nice and clean with good mattresses and clean crisp bedding.The really filthy kitchen (I think the cupboards as well as the coffee and tea tins hadn't been cleaned for weeks and the fridge was full of obviously expired food items) and the extremely basic bathrooms which are to be shared with two other rooms let us down though. Service by the guy at reception in the morning was good and very friendly but the reception we received upon arrival was neither warm nor welcoming.
The location is perfect: close to beachfront, public transport, Green Point Park and various restaurants etc.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Adina G
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Hello Adina
Thank you for your review. I apologise for the dirty kitchen - you are right, it is completely unacceptable. Sometimes in a communal environment things do get dirtier quicker and we should be on top of it. I have personally overseen a deep clean of the ktichen and we will definitely be more on top of it in the future.
As we are a backpackers lodge, most guests are aware of the fact that the bathrooms are shared and some have to share with more than 2 other rooms :-)
Regards, Lisa

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I spent two nights at Ashanti Backpacker in a "twin room single use". It's OK but not exceptionnal. The hotel is recent and nicely - though simply - decorated. My room had a washbasin, good beds and nice lights. It was clean. Bathrooms were next door. The good points are:
- the localisation, at Greenpoint, in a very quiet street, but 5 mn walk to a big street with everything,
- the bed, the cleanliness of the room (but bathrooms could have be cleaned more often during the day),
- the recent premises,
- communal kitchen with a shared fridge.
Less good:
- staff at the reception didn't care, not very attentive, not nice - except one staff on the first night.
- free pancakes and coffee at the shared kitchen but you have to do everything by yourself, clean the dishes, etc.
- room was too warm and only had a fan.
It's a good option if you are looking for a cheap place to stay for a short time, but I would not spend too much time there. Even if they have hotel-like rooms it's more a backpacker than a hotel.
Probably good if you want to meet people and enjoy backpacker style (but with grumpy staff), just OK if you are looking for something slightly more.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who had stayed with Ashanti before. As we came as a family we chose the Greenpoint Ashanti as it is billed as less of a party place, which is what we were looking for. We stayed in a nice, clean, modern private room. The staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. We were doing the garden route and wanted to return to Ashanti when we got back to CT, but it was fully booked for the first few days after our return. Once other family members left CT I moved back to Ashanti for a couple of nights and enjoyed my stay. I would definitely recommend this place to people heading to CT. Thanks!

Room Tip: With the private rooms there are two at the front where people can sit out and smoke, which could di...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hello Gemma
Thank you for your nice review and hopefully we will see you back at Ashanti again one day!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Greenpoint is great, and everything else was booked due to a fair in CT, hence we remained our last days at Ashanti, due to good location. The dorm rooms are fine - clean, modern, but they did not have locks for us. The place is clean enough, except the disgustingly dirty pool; there is zero communal feeling (possibly due to lack of a communal room, there is a TV room with a couch, which seems mostly used by the nightshift (always the same guy) to sleep while "working." The problem with this is that people have to keep ringing the front door bell (no code entry system) and this dude is a heavy sleeper, or simply doesn't want to wake up or doesn't care/pretends. Me - and various other guests at other occasions - shouted at him, shook him - one actually put water in his face! and even when he opens his eyes, he seems not to give a d... As guests, we can let people in (if the noise gets too annoying or you're anyway still awake) but we can't check them in obviously. This guy and another guy working here are really rude, even for CT standards. They gave my friend the wrong change and when he told them, he was wordlessly given the change and then asked "There, are you happy now"; and when I asked him for a coffee today he said it was closed and suggested I might have stolen "the money"

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Hi there! Thank you for posting your review and I apologise for the delay in responding, but I had to have a few meetings with the staff in order to ascertain exactly what transpired last weekend. It seems that you are correct and the night manager was indeed sleeping on the couch!! He has since informed me that he had a sever burn on his leg and had taken pain medication which was why it was difficult to wake him up. I admit that it is no excuse and he should rather have called in sick and I can only apologise on his behalf - it certainly won't happen again!
I have also spoken to the other staff members regarding the coffee incident and given them all sever warnings and lectures on customer relations, politeness and general friendliness. Overall, this is the first complaint I have had saying that they are rude, so I don't think that it is a regular occurrence.
It is a pity that your overall experience of Ashanti has been clouded by these incidents but I thank you for bringing them to my attention so that they can be dealt with appropriately and to ensure that all future guests are welcomed.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had previously stayed at two backpackers in Cape Town before I found Ashanti Lodge Greenpoint. I really enjoyed Ashanti and would recommend it to all backpackers. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and the backpackers is very safe. The staff was friendly and always gave a smile and a hello when we arrived. The atmosphere of the backpackers is nice and laid back - no bar but you can get a beer and have it on the patio with a couple new friends. The pool is quite small but who wants to sit at a pool while you're in the most beautiful city anyways? The location was great . About a 15-20 minute walk away from waterfront and a quick walk to catch the local taxi to Long Street. If you want to get away from the busy, party-filled long street but still have the opportunity to meet people and enjoy yourself while relaxing then Ashanti is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thanks for your great review Carley. These days there is also the MyCiti bus to get around on so everything is even more accessible!
See you back again one day?

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Internet reachs the rooms

The crew is outstanding

Bathrooms and rooms are very clean

Very modern

Location is near to the waterfront, sea point and camps bay

Breakfast is cheap and honest

Travel Center helps the tourists with lots of activities

• Stayed: November 2013
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review... we do try hard, so it is always nice when it is noticed.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here after staying at a hostel on long street so this hostel was definitely a lot more quite. However my boyfriend and I are not the party type at all but even this place was a bit to quite for Us. The hostel itself is nice, clean. Spacious etc but that's all I can really say. The guy who looked after us who is on the day shift is really nice and gave us some great tips and advise but the hostel is really lacking some umph!! It's hard to put your finger on but I guess it was just a bit boring. If they livened it up a bit then maybe it would be a better place to stay. I wouldn't say DON'T stay there but just be prepared for a very quite and unexciting stay. Also it would have been nice to have been told about the free pancake mix but we only discovered this on the last day after purchasing 2 breakfasts.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sure that after staying at a hostel in Long Street, we were much quieter but we do acknowledge that and it certainly seems to work for most people.