“Nowhere Better”

Ashanti Lodge Green Point
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The safety and security were first class, as was the hospitality of all the staff, who would go out of their way to help. They would book tours etc for you. The place was cleaned every day and the facilities were excellent. As a 70 year old, first time backpacker with a suitcase, I had quite an experience. The Lodge is in walking distance of the beach, shops, eateries and watering holes. I found the beds comfortable and, in general, a very vibrant, friendly atmosphere the whole time I was there. Set back off the main road, it is quiet, except for party nights, which happen now and again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rickjcoe
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thanks for your review - we do try to cater for young AND old (er) so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Ashanti Lodge Green Point

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a wonderful hostel,rooms are spacious and clean. Great beds to sleep in. Staff go out of their way to help you. Showers and toilets were clean all the time while we stayed there.morning walks were great as it is only five minutes to the park. If one is staying in Cape Town this is the ideal place to stay price is perfect and it is easy to get everywhere. Thank you Ashanti

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your review - hopefully see you back again one day!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here for four nights after our overland trip from Uganda to South Africa. Great place, friendly staff and nice locatin near he beach. A little further away from the citycentre but still within walkingditance (30 minutes) from the Waterfront, therefur very nice and quiet in the rea.

Room Tip: We chose an ensuite oubleroom but the dorms are just as nice!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AniqueJ
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Hey there!
Thanks for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully we will see you back again one day :-)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

It's a nice enough place: good location, clean rooms, okay facilities but the service and atmosphere isn't close to the other hostels we stayed at in Cape Town. It has all the right ingredients but just seems to be something lacking. Not a bad plan B.

Room Tip: Get a private room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hi there
Thanks for your review. It is always interesting hearing different people's perspective on a place because obviously one cannot cater for everyone's taste. We had a Danish couple leave this morning who absolutely LOVED staying with us because it's quiet and they can have a drink on the verandah in peace. We don't have a bar (but you can still get a drink) and we don't have parties yet guests still get an opportunity to meet each other and socialise which is what going to a backpacker hostel is all about - it just doesn't always have to be in a loud, raucous way :-)
Nevertheless, I respect your opinion and perhaps Ashanti Green Point isn't what you were looking for but I am glad that you still see it for what it is. A clean, safe, secure, central, well-run, hospitable backpackers hostel with all the right ingredients :-)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in an individual room, the room was very clean and in good shape. There was a flat screen TV and in room safe. Shower was down the hall. They do have a small swimming pool and wireless internet.

Location is about a 20 minute walk from the Waterfront area, a cab ride back was 50 or 60 Rand (US$ 6 or 7). Downtown was a bit farther.

I had 2 service issues that were more annoying than serious problems:
- The available breakfast; some items weren't available because they didn't have the materials (i.e. they couldn't make toast because they didn't have any bread, they were out of eggs)
- I sent some laundry out to their laundry service, some of the items were still damp when they came back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Hi there!
Thank you for your review.
I apologise for your service issues. I think we were taken by surprise with our breakfasts and ran out of a few materials. This is no excuse and I apologise for the oversight...I hope you were offered an alternative.
I will also address your laundry service with that provider as it is outsource and we will ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Once again - thank you for your constructive criticism.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Ashanti Green Point has a very nice location, close to the beach, waterfront and several grocery stores, restaurants and main transportation routes.
The rooms are simple - literally, a bed, two night stands, a mounted TV, a safe and a bathroom. And they are very clean with new fixtures and a modern feel. The staff is friendly enough, although maybe a bit limited. (Didn't get a remote when we checked in and still didn't get one when we asked again that night. Who really cares, because you don't go on vacation to watch TV, but it would have been nice to get a response and I'm just passing along the facts).
It was 18 rand for a medium bottle of water at the restaurant, which is way too pricy but the breakfast prices were reasonable.
Wifi was fast but the one-hour chits generally expired after 10-20 minutes and constantly had to be replaced.
The only big complaint was the cigarette smoke. Maybe it's the layout of the place, maybe just everyone but us smoked while we were staying there, but there was too much smoke for a non-smoker. It's a small urban lodge, so there are limited areas outside to begin with, so there's usually some measure of smoke in the air when you're trying to eat or get some fresh air on the balcony. The worst part was at night when your room starts to reek from the smoking outside.
Again, maybe it was an unusual wind direction or smoky crowd, but this fact turned a very good backpackers lodge into one that I probably wouldn't choose again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paperlions20

Thank you for your review.
Firstly I am surprised you didn't receive a remove for your television as they are all at reception, but I apologise for that.
As far as the smoke is concerned, this is the first time we have ever had a complaint about the smoke and I can only presume that it is as you say that there was an unusually large number of people smoking at that time. Next time (if there is a next time) please let us know and we will take appropriate measures.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Luckily I was only staying for 2 nights, but that was too many! Lets start with the positives - it is within walking distance of most things - beach, shops, bars etc. Rooms are clean and spacious, with a handy sink. Shared bathrooms are a good size. There is a pool and kitchen.
Negatives - Staff! Well to be fair I only came across one, a lady who was so miserable (maybe just because I was female!), every question I asked was answered, but in a way where it was just so much effort for her to speak. I then got locked out of my room for an hour and a half beacuse the combination lock broke - I got an apology, but she could have offerred me a drink at least!! Lounge area was tiny, there was a TV, but I couldn't find the remote! Kitchen was so small, and lots of things falling apart. Bathrooms could have done with soap. As far as hostels go in Cape Town, maybe this is one of the best, but I did not enoy my stay!

Room Tip: Don't choose a dorm!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sarah14387
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Hello Sarah
Thank you for your constructive criticism - we may not like it, but you do certainly say it like it is.
We have only had one woman working for us at reception, Aimee, and she is no longer with us. You are not the first person to have mentioned her attitude. I can only apologise, but she did leave at the end of November.
I am not sure which things are falling apart in the kitchen - I wish you had elaborated so that I could attend to them but as far as I am aware everything is working perfectly.
Also - all the bathrooms have soap dispensers mounted on the wall with liquid soap so not sure why you thought you may need soap. We don't provide soap in the communal showers - it is backpackers lodge after all!
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but most people do!