Review Highlights

Reviewed August 15, 2018
karynparisi
Bishopscourt, South Africa
via mobile

All reviews photo tour professional photographer river valley camera settings township tour wonderful teacher photography skills highly recommend peter flash photography learned heaps wildlife sanctuary great shots bo kaap kalk bay taking pictures his knowledge half day tour
Reviewed today via mobile

Peter picked us up in the morning and we spent the whole day touring the Cape Peninsula and taking great photos along the way.

Peter knows the best spots, the best timing and coached us on both photo techniques and artistic effects.

Pricey, but well worth the money, because we did more in day then what we could have done in several days on our own.

(TripAdvisor photos with my phone, not my camera)

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

I recently did a one on one flash photography session with Peter Haarhoff. It was really valuable to be able to practice indoors and outdoors with him, ask as many questions as I could while we went along and to have his undivided attention. I look forward to more flash coaching and other workshops of his. Peter is a very experienced, wonderfully patient, relaxed and fun coach which makes learning or enhancing your photography skills a pleasure.
Karyn

Reviewed August 11, 2018

I am a local, but needed some more pictures for a calendar, which we print as a gift for friends every year. Since I have had the privilege of doing a Bo-Kaap tour with Peter before, I contacted him about a tour to Woodstock, where I wanted to photograph the graffiti. He set up a half-day tour for me, starting at 5 am to take pictures of Hout Bay at night. Then it was Table Mountain and the light at sunrise from Blouberg, back to Woodstock and then onto the wine farms. A very good variety of settings for photos, with different settings for my camera and even some background information on the history of the wine farms. Excellent value for money and a very informative outing! The next one for me will be his township tour to learn more about portrait photography and life in the township.

Reviewed May 17, 2018

I'm a travel and portrait photography seeker and was looking for a local guide to take me around Cape Town this past week to show me some of the best local photography spots in the city and beyond. I found Peter through Trip Advisor and I must say he exceeded my expectations! He understood perfectly what I was looking for and planned our tour around it. We started the day in Langa township, where I found many opportunities for portrait and people photography. We then went to Woodstock to shoot some interesting graffiti walls and some more people shots. Afterwards, we drove around the coast exploring local beaches and stayed out till sunset to photograph seascapes and the rugged coastline. Peter was incredibly flexible and accommodated my every wish! He is not only a great guide and photographer, he's just an all around awesome guy! I cannot recommend him and his company enough!

Photocoach, Owner at Cape Photographic Company, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2018

Thank you Megan for your review and recommendation on Trip Advisor. I really appreciate it. It was lovely to meet you, and to read your blog about your trip to SA. Your photographs are amazing, and I loved the way you took your shoes off and braved the cold Atlantic ocean to get better photographs of Table Mountain. Epic!

Reviewed May 16, 2018

Peter and I had an amazing night doing light painting in a old car museum, more like an old junk yard. We found all kinds of old cars and light painted the night away. It was like going out with your best friend and taking pictures. He has tremendous knowledge and taught me a lot about my own camera that I didn't know. Along with lots of tips and techniques. I will be looking Peter up again on my next trip to Cape Town.

We did have lots of fun, looking forward to seeing you again soon in Cape Town! Peter

Reviewed April 9, 2018

Peter offers tremendous value by combining a private tour and photography course in and around Capetown. I had a great experience and found Peter to be very accommodating to my unique situation (I use a wheelchair to get around). The area offered many scenic locations to practice photography and Peter's instruction was helpful yet not intrusive to the experience. We even stopped to fly my drone in two places which enabled me to get some additional shots from a different perspective. I highly recommend engaging Peter if you are in Capetown and considering a tour while also learning about photography.

Hello Scott, it was wonderful meeting you, and you are truly an inspiration! I enjoy following all your travels on Instagram and keep up taking great photographs! Thank you for taking to time to write a review, hopefully we will see each other again some day...

Reviewed March 31, 2018

Thumbs up again to Peter! Two years ago, we had a wonderful Garden Route Photo Tour with Peter. This time he arranged another wonderful tour for my wife and I (from Canada) to Namibia. He put in a lot of time and effort into the three-week itinerary so that we covered most of the iconic places. We photographed many diverse subjects from landscape, culture, wildlife and the stars. The Astrophotography was particularly fun. Peter is very knowledgable about the country of Namibia; and he is a great teacher. Most importantly he is fun to travel with. We had a great time. We highly recommend Peter.

Thank you, Henry. It was my pleasure to take you and Sandra on tour again. We had lots of laughs and took some great photographs. You are a really good photographer and always keen to go out and take photographs, any time, any where. I love it! I hope to see you and Sandra again soon for another adventure!

Reviewed February 19, 2018

We were fortunate to get Peter Harrhof to dedicate five days as our private guide so we could film a travel documentary about the Cape Town region. With a full itinerary of scenic drives, wine estates, gardens, distinctive neighborhoods, museums, national parks, beaches and other points of interest, Peter picked us up early at our guest house in his SUV and dropped us off at sundown. Peter was not only well versed on the historic and cultural significance of the sites, but his expertise as a professional photographer helped us to catch the best light and vantage points at the various locations.

We enjoyed Peter's company and when changing weather and traffic conditions messed with our itinerary, he was always flexible so we could stay on schedule even if it meant looping back to some locations. Other times, when the wind was fierce, Peter assisted in filming and produced some outstanding footage. We really appreciated his hands-on approach.

The success of the documentary will owe a great deal to Peter’s knowledge and expertise. We enjoyed our first trip to Cape Town, thanks to Peter. We give him our highest recommendation and would hire him again when we return to Africa.

1  Thank Huntva

I was my pleasure to contribute to the success of your documentary and help where I could. I also learned a lot about the filming process and enjoyed our time together. Thank you so very much for the review and great feedback. Regards. Peter

Reviewed February 12, 2018

A trip to South Africa was #1 on my bucket list for such a long time - I can now check that off my list! I extended my trip beyond that of my travel partners and ventured to Cape Town to see the penguin colony. Peter was such a wonderful photography host & teacher for the day. He asked what I wanted to see and ensured that we hit all the points! Since we both shoot Canon, he taught me things about my camera that I didn't know how to use, as well as some new techniques. He is a walking history book of the Cape Town area; I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories and ghost stories! This was the "cherry on top" of my SA trip! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a day of photography adventure with Peter!

1  Thank Angela D

Thank you for the recommendation, I am glad you enjoyed your photo tour and learned a bit more about photography and your camera with me here in Cape Town. Regards, Peter

Reviewed February 3, 2018

The opportunity to visit a township and see an important part of Cape Town life is a great experience and one I would recommend to anyone. With Peter at the helm guiding you through the community with the connections and relationships he has built up over years - it is an incredible one.

Peter was a great person to experience - he is obviously a great photographer and guide as well as being a great person to be out shooting with. If you do this tour you will experience a lot and get a lot out of the experience. All I can say is, if you are thinking about doing it, do it! Enjoy

Thank you, Cliff. I am happy you enjoyed the experience.