“Superb Guest House in a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Underberg House

Underberg House
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Superb Guest House in a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights before a cycle tour of the Western Cape and for one night at the end. This is one of the best B&Bs we have stayed in - and would be a great place to stay for anyone visiting Cape Town.

The property is a beautiful building - with spacious rooms and colonial balconies, and superbly decorated. There is a comfortable lounge area as well as a well stocked guest honesty bar.

It is located in a leafy suburb with good restaurants close by and easy access into the City itself - 40 min walk to the Waterfront.

Anne and Bruce are delightful hosts and could not do more to make you welcome on arrival or during your stay - nothing was too much.

Would recommend without hesitation - perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 (first floor) and room 9 (downstairs - with a separate lounge) - both were top c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Underberg is located in Tamboerskloof, a quiet and safe part of Cape Town within walking distance of some great restaurants like Miller's Thumb and Kloof and Long Streets and a $5 taxi ride to V&A.

This is a great character home just like its owners - Anne and Bruce. We needed a late check in - 10pm - no problem, they arranged an airport pickup and the trusted driver had access to let us in, show is the bar area and give us our keys. It was a great welcome to Cape Town after 20 hours of flying! And breakfast the following morning was great! Wished we'd had more time to stay.

You can't go wrong here - it's the real deal!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pescara, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed in this guest house during our tour in Africa, with the band of Piero Delle Monache, italian saxophonist!!! It was brilliant. Good position, charme, kindness and excellent breakfast.
Let's go to the Undergerg Guest House :)
Greeting from Pescara (back home).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
New Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

The guesthouse has all the right ticks- really good location, safe, parking available, wonderful hosts that seem like family; and comfortable, beautifully done and clean accommodation. The house is an old dutch mansion restored delicately by a Zimbabwean couple- Anne and Bruce. They help you with everything- recommendations on what to see, where to go, reservations and taking care of luggage. The breakfast is fantastic and healthy and you would almost feel like its your kitchen and your dining area! The happening Raffiki's and other student bars in Kloof Street are a 4-5 min walk away and the table mountain is just a short ride away. There are lovely restaurants on the same street. There is an honesty bar for after hours drinks or a night cap and we really used it! We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: We had a much smaller room than we needed but that's due to availability. If you require a big r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gypsicsoul
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at underberg guest house and can highly recommend it. Centrally located (just a short stroll from kloof street), rooms are beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean, and the hosts (Anne and Bruce) will make sure you make the most of your stay. If this guest house is available on your travel dates, make sure to book it before someone else does. Next time we will travel to Cape Town, for sure we will stay at underberg again.

Stayed October 2013
Golden, Co
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Anne and Bruce were very welcoming, and helpful with advice on touring. The room was large and comfortable. The breakfast was ample and tasty. The location was convenient - we had a rental car which we parked outside for free; and we walked from the art museum (slightly uphill), but took a taxi from the waterfront for $5. Excellent restaurants within a 5-minute walk. Views of the neighborhood are pleasant, with a limited view of Table Mountain. We'd highly recommend this attractive, well-maintained, large Victorian B&B, which is located in a safe, upscale, somewhat hilly neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We nearly booked a place near the Waterfront but felt that something in our price range would be too bland, impersonal and devoid of character. We looked at several guesthouses in a quiet neighborhood and Underberg was the place that could accommodate us for 6D/5N.

I'm glad we stayed at Underberg. Bruce and Anne were warm, welcoming and helpful and the staff was very polite though they kept mostly to themselves. I felt like I was staying at the home of a friend's aunt or something like that. Bruce and Anne don't stay at Underberg, I think they leave in the late afternoon so if you need anything done, best to get it done in the morning or early afternoon. I think the staff leaves at the end of the day so if you're one of those people who need staff on the premises, perhaps you'd be better off at a full service hotel (this is the only reason why I didn't give full marks for service).

Rooms were clean and comfortable and all the basics you need are provided. Rooms are cleaned and re-stocked daily. Some people might not like the fact that rooms are not air-conditioned but we were there in spring and Cape Town was nice and cool. On a few afternoons, it was a bit warm and I turned on the ceiling fan just to get the air circulating but it was always windy at night. A room heater is provided if you need it. I did turn on the TV for all of 5 minutes but other than the news channels, I wasn't too interested in what was on the telly. Free wifi (even in rooms) was generally reliable and I could keep in touch with people back home, got to tell them about the great time I was having! On the first day, I had trouble with the key as the key hole of the room door is a bit lower than usual but I got used to that. Also had some trouble with the safe, thought I had locked it but it turns out I had forgotten to turn the key so the safe was unlocked but the staff is very trustworthy. Nothing was taken. We washed some small articles of clothing (e.g. our bathing suits) and when we came back to our rooms, we found that our clean laundry had been taken off the hangers and folded and placed on our beds, thanks! My room mate's bathing suit was a two piece and for some reason, one of those two pieces ended up in our friends' room but that was the only minor mix-up.

A delicious breakfast comes free (available from 730-10AM) and I really enjoyed it. Fresh cut fruit in season, yogurt, cereal & muesli, bread (whole grain and white), cheeses, orange juice, apple juice, fresh milk, butter, homemade orange marmalade & raspberry preserves and condiments like honey, marmite, etc all laid out. You can order coffee or tea and a hot breakfast (two eggs any way you like, omelettes, delicious mushrooms, bacon and tomatoes). My favorite cooked breakfast was one poached egg, TONS of mushrooms, a grilled tomato and one rasher of bacon. By day 3 it was my signature breakfast and Bruce recognized it as mine on sight. One time we had to leave Underberg at 4:20AM to go see the sharks and I lamented that we'd miss the wonderful breakfast!

There's a nice little honesty bar if you want to pour yourself a drink. There was a bit of a mix up with the bar as someone had written that he had two drinks but the way he wrote it down was not so clear (perhaps those 2 drinks were too much for him?) and it looked like the occupants of Room 2 (my friend and I) had consumed those drinks. That mix-up was easily sorted out. If there were any issues, we had no trouble bringing them up with the owners who were very proactive and would act on something they felt might be an issue.

Underberg is located in a quiet neighborhood. To get to some shops/cafes you do have to walk maybe 3-7 minutes, 10 minutes if you walk REALLY slowly. Long street is not far away, a nice leisurely stroll from Underberg. If you want to walk to the Waterfront I suppose you could do it though that might take quite a lot of time. Hail a cab or figure out the bus system if you can (I never figured it out).

The area is safe, I did see a few homeless people hanging around the main street near the restaurants and the Catholic church (about 5-7 minutes away) but they never bothered me. They just said "Good morning!" when I saw them on my way to mass. I offered one some food I couldn't finish and he thanked me politely. Just as a precaution though, there is a security guard patrolling the street night and day. Underberg is a gated guesthouse and you just have to key in the security code to enter.

Available in room: coffee/tea tray set for 2, basic toiletries (liquid hand soap, bath gel, lotion, toilet paper), room spray, bug spray, complete set of towels, wardrobe with hangers, hair dryer, room heater, one adaptor (we just had to get another one because the one in the room was not compatible with our gadgets), TV, wifi, writing desk, no refrigerator in the room but you can have items refrigerated (we bought cheese that needed to be refrigerated). no phones in the room, you'll have to use your cell phone. there's a phone in the office so if you need a cab during the day, Bruce and Anne can call one for you. lighting and ventilation of rooms generally good.

You can borrow adaptors, a refundable ZAR10 deposit is required per adaptor.
Laundry service available (per piece). I didn't have anything done but my friend had her jeans washed and I believe rates were reasonable.

I was very comfortable in my room but I also enjoyed relaxing in the different common areas of the guesthouse (veranda, bar, living room, etc).

Only one set of keys issued per room so that sometimes got tricky when my room mate and I wanted to do different things.

I do plan to go back to Cape Town and I'd love to stay at the Underberg again :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends