“Welcomed like an old friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Amber Tree Lodge

Amber Tree Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Welcomed like an old friend”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

What's not to like about this wonderful hostel. I have stayed there twice now for one night each time. The first time I was welcomed as a guest and the second time I felt like I was coming home - somewhere safe to relax in. Wayne and Stephen was fabulous hosts - they clearly have a passion for people and nothing was too much trouble (even when my travel plans kept changing they were brilliant!). The hostel was spotless, and the beds very comfortable (lovely crisp white linen). The view of Table Mountain from the hammock on the balcony is also breathtaking. It is situated just off Kloof Street which has some lovely restaurants and bars and is very safe. It is by no means the cheapest hostel in Cape Town but then you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed November 29, 2011

These excellent reviews are all true! My girlfriend and I stayed at Amber Tree Lodge in a dorm and found the place to be comfortable and clean. The decor is welcoming and warm. The bathrooms are new and clean.

Stephen was exceptionally helpful, much thanks to him for all his ideas on how best to explore the city. The location is excellent, just a short walk from anything in the city bowl.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a better view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at Amber Tree Lodge. Everything was just right... Stephen and Wayne are exceptional hosts and the place is spotless with very spacious common areas and a great view of Table Mountain. To top it off, the location could not be better for a city centre hostel. Situated in a quiet residential neighbourhood but only a short walk away from Long Street. Definitely THE place to stay in Cape Town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
rio de janeiro
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Since I a young Brasilian girl by myself I was not so sure how South Africa be like and a little nervous. Thanks God for Stephen and Wayne at this beautiful home away from my home. They help me to have very nice time and tell me good places to see, eat some local foods, and take the photos! The beds were better than my own house and everything and everywhere so clean. I love this place! Thanks you guys! (Sorry for my no so good English). - Fernanda from Rio send you a hug!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed 5 nights at the Amber Tree Lodge in Cape Town. We are widely traveled, and because we are on a low budget, tend to stay in hostels or cheaper hotels. This one was excellent. We had a double en suite room with a huge bathroom. The view from the balcony on the top floor of two, was of Table Mountain. The two men who worked as Managers were so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and whilst only simple, was adequate. The location means that it is a very easy walk down to most of the attractions in Cape Town and a short taxi ride to the cable car for the mountain. We are older travelers and thoroughly recommend this hostel to anyone.

Room Tip: Book early if you want the only ensuite room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulieJimW
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed October 29, 2011

The Amber Tree Lodge was an excellent experience for my first stay in Cape Town. From the time I first met the owner and manager, I knew we had chosen the optimum spot to relax and spend some time. The service level was impeccable with a willingness to not only make the stay enjoyable but also to share advice to get the most out of the Cape Town visit. This was only my second hostel experience and it was truly enjoyable. Would highly recommend the Amber Tree Lodge!!!

Thanks!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Service, location, facilities--all exceptional. Steven, the owner, and Wayne, the manager, deliver a Ritz Carlton level of service; my bag was lost during a layover in Johannesburg and when it arrived in CT Wayne phoned a friend to drive me for about 1/2 of what I would have otherwise paid a cab. Steve and Wayne are happy to act as a personal concierge, recommending various things to do in and around CT depending on the length of your stay. I could go on but let me finish by stating that the next time I visit CT, I will without a doubt book a spot at Amber Tree Lodge!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends