“Rick's Cafe American”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Bowl
Description: Walking into Rick's Cafe has the same feeling as walking into a friend's home for dinner. The ambiance is comfortable to say the least with decor reminiscent of the movie classic "Casablanca" with its stylish colonial Moroccan tones accompanied by lounge music filtering through the 100 year old Victorian building,Immerse yourself in warm ambiance and eclectic decor in our 80 seater restaurant with its 3 fireplaces and bar, or enjoy the relaxed, vibey loft lounge and cocktail bar spilling out onto a roof deck with breathtaking views of the mountains.Our award winning selection of wines is sure to suit all tastes and features a wide selection by the carafe, we also offer a wide variety of local and imported Beers (now over 40!), Mexican and local Tequilas, Vodkas,Single Malts, Bourbons and Liquors. The menu presents a seasonal selection of Global tapas and a wide variety of dishesranging from mouth watering salads, Gourmet burgers, fresh seafood, matured Steaks and Moroccan and Mediterranean specialties - "we serve Comfort food" So come relax and enjoy yourself with either lunching on the veranda, sipping sundownerson the roof deck or enjoy a delicious meal inside this historical cottage, and we will guarantee you'll want to "play it again" We all look for that place to recommend as being "my favourite place", well in this case you might just have found it."So... Here is looking at you kid."
Reviewed April 12, 2013

It's a Moroccan themed restaurant, but that doesn't mean it has only Moroccan dishes. I best describe that all dishes have a Moroccan fusion in the flavouring.

My personal experience was with a group of 14 people, they easily accommodated our group even as it grew at the last minute. I had the T Bone fillet, it was perfect, someone else at the table had a hamburger and I didn't hear complaints. The lamb was also fabulous from one of our diners at the table.

We were situated on the roof patio, great atmosphere, a little windy as the Winter winds were blowing off the mountain but these guys are prepared for it, soft sides come down, heaters are lit and it was enjoyable.

It's a couple's, casual friends place and also for families. The bill was reasonable, very reasonable for 15 people.

I would add this to my list of restaurants to return to in Cape Town.

2  Thank Guylangevin

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Went for dinner without reservation but was seated really fast anyways. Maybe due to an early arrival (7pm). Still great service. I had the yellowtail with vegetables and mashed potatoes and it was really great. Meaty and still really succulent fish. My friends had caprese salad with a side of Potatas Bravas and the BMB burger (topped with brie cheese). All of us loved the plates. Decent priced too. Recommended.

2  Thank Per N
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a Moroccan themed restaurant (mosaics, tagines, posters of Casablanca). Large menu with many north African specialities (slow cooked lamb, chicken tagines), burgers, fish and chips. The menu is large and there is something for everyone. The restaurant is made up of a few 'rooms' which makes for an intimate atmosphere (which would be especially inviting in winter) even though people seem to be constantly streaming through the entrance. It is vibey and noisy and sevice is friendly and brisk. Portions are very generous and of a good standard. Upstairs is a bar and an outdoor terrace where there is apparently a view of table mountain. Make a reservation as this place is popular with locals. Parking is on the street. There are always car guards in attendance. Ours enjoyed the half of my meal that I was not able to finish as well as a tip.

1  Thank Karon M
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I regularly dine out in Cape Town and have our trusted preferred eateries. Hence it was a most welcome surprise when we stumbled upon Rick's with its great bar, pleasant outside terrace and cosy interior restaurant (with fireplaces). Overall, the service was good and the food portions generous and appetizing. This establishment has a strong probability of becoming one of our favourites.

A few helpful hints for management:
1) The waiters should familiarise themselves with the 'Specials' of the day - my wife and I had to pop outside twice to read what was on offer on the blackboard given our waiter's lack of knowledge
2) The smell of smoke permeates the non-smoking areas which negates the reason for sitting there

2  Thank RobinCapeTown
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Maybe a bit of a tourist-trap, but I absolutely got trapped. We had one dinner that was very good - and much. But the big thing was the bar where they constantly show the great movie Casablanca above the bar-counter. Good, different beers from the tap. They also can make drinks - but did not have the very best skills... But - "I'll be back"..