“terrific location and terrific staff”

and 1 more site!
Bayflowers Guest House
Ranked #10 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Laurel, Maryland
“terrific location and terrific staff”
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at Bayflowers during the World Cup. The location was just terrific...walking distance from the Waterfront, stadium, and plenty of restaurants. Michael and esp. Tanya were not only very helpful with suggestions but also getting cabs or making reservations. When we were in the common areas they always asked if we wanted drinks and provided munchies for game watching. They made us feel SO welcome! Only suggestions would be to improve lighting in the rooms (esp. bathrooms). Storage was also a bit scarce. However, the friendliness and service of all staff made the stay just great. Thanksyou !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed here for world cup games with my son so ideal for Stadium but also near enough to waterfront. A small but cosy lounge gave us a venue to watch televised games in front of a log fire. Breakfast was excellent. But what I will remeber BAyyflowers for was the wonderful service. Nothing was any trouble and everything was done with a smile. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2010
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed at Bayflowers during the World Cup. The location was excellent with walking distance to the stadium, the V&A waterfront, and a myriad of restaurants. Other parts of Capetown are a short taxi away. Michael and his assistant Tania were most helpful and accommodating, making helpful suggestions as well as reservations for us. The accommodations in the guest house were also very nice and made our stay extremely pleasant. Every time we went to the common rooms, they offered us something to drink and asked if they could get us anything. The only downsides were a few things in the room such as poor lighting, and very little storage space for clothes and other belongings. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and heartily recommend this guest house.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My mother and I I just returned from a fantastic two week trip to Africa. The second week of my trip was spent in Cape Town...what a beautiful city it was. Everything was perfect, including our accomodations at Bayflowers Guest House.

From the moment that I booked my stay, I knew we would enjoy our stay there. Michael, the owener, provided excellent customer service from day one by personally emailing me to confirm my stay and to ensure me that everything would be perfect when my mother and I arrived.

Indeed that was the fact. We arrived on Sunday, June 27th with a warm greeting from Michael. He showed us to our room which was a nice sized room with a personal bathroom. Please keep in mind that this was a nice and quaint little bed and breakfast, so it didn't necessarily have all the frills of a hotel, but it served its purpose. The bed was plush, the bathroom was clean and there were two nice big windows to invite the sun and cool breeze into the room.

After arriving, we decided to extend our stay by one additional day. We were planning to return to Joburg were we depart back to the US, but I was not happy with the hotel we were staying at so we stayed an additional night, which I do not regret at all.

The staff, Tanya especially, were all so accomodating and very pleasant. Each morning, we had breakfast with the other guests. This was nice, because you got to meet people from all over the world and have a nice breakfast conversation...something you can't readily do at a hotel. The bonus is that Tanya made the best eggs on that side of the Earth (smile).

The guest house is also in close walking distance to all that happening in Cape Town such as the VA Waterfront, the Cape Town Stadium, local pharmacy, ocean and more. This was good for me because my mother and I got our much needed excercise.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. They were very accomodating in more than one way and the customer service was top notch. Whenever I return to Cape Town, I will be returning to Bayflowers and recommend any and everyone to check them out.

Thanks Guys,
AN

• Stayed June 2010
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 1, 2010

During the WC2010 my country had to play a game at Cape Town. We were very happy having a nice guesthouse close to the stadium, but as we also wanted to see more from Cape Town it was also an ideal base for visiting Table Mountain, Cape Point, the Aquarium, and so on. At breakfast in fact anything was possible and during evenings it was a pleasure to join the host and his family around the fire, watching the evenings game. Besides that we had perfect service with answers to all our questions and service provided while planning tours, visits, dinner outside, a.s.o.
I would for sure recommend this guesthouse for those who aren't searching for luxuary hotels but just want to have a nice and comfortable stay in Cape Town!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for five days during our World Cup journey. The place is run by a German couple with a very friendly young lady who manages the place as well. They were very nice and accomodating. I am never the one to be extremely picky about places. In fact, I have reviewed many places that had negative reviews and have given them positive reviews. However, this place was lacking in a few places for me. A few of these were not their fault, a few were. The first was how cold it was in the place. This was due to abnormally cold conditions outside, but there is no heat! We slept the first two nights with one big heater in the room. We had a corner room and the walls must be paper thin, inside and out. We were under our duvets shivering both nights. I finally spoke up and told them it was terribly uncomfortable in the room and at $200 US a night, that's unacceptable. I was kind about it and so were they, giving us three heaters and another duvet. One heater wouldn't work because the outlets in the room were not functioning properly. For my wife, there was nowhere near a mirror to plug in a hair dryer or curling iron either. The room was average size, but didn't have a closet or shelves to unpack our clothes. The worst part, aside from the cold, was how thin the walls are. We were on the top floor and all the way down the hall. Basically, we were the furthest from the entry that you could be. When I was sleeping, I would wake up when anyone walked through the front door. I could actually hear the keys turning in it to open it from my bed. When anyone even spoke in a normal voice, it sounded like they were in our room. That's a big problem for me. If you like to get three hours of sleep a night, it might not be for you. Just don't go in the winter and bring ear plugs and you'll probably be ok. Again, very nice people, but the place is lacking in many respects. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York/Munich
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My family visits the Cape Town area every year but we never stay in the city. This year, we decided to spend a couple of days in the city and but we didn't really want to be in the touristy parts. I saw Bayflowers on the internet and really liked it (also one of the few places that accepted kids) but there were no reviews anywhere. We booked it anyway but were a bit skeptical.

And what a nice little place it turned out to be! From the very first, Michael, the owner, made us feel right at home and even helped us with our luggage without us even asking. He was very helpful and flexible throughout our stay, giving suggestions, answering questions and taking the time to chat (or, in our case, taking time for a long discussion) with guests. The breakfast was not a big buffet but we found it delicious and quite enough.

The Bed & Breakfast is surrounded by high walls, as is most of the houses nearby, but the rooms upstairs more than make up for it. Not only did we have a view of the ocean, we also had a HUGE terrace attached to our room. Our kids' room had no terrace but was very similar to ours otherwise.

The rooms have a small fridge and very little closet space but they are modern and tastefully decorated. The bathrooms are small and basic and there are no soaps or shampoos provided so bring your own. Also, my toddler had lots of mosquito bites on her face and hands (this must be a city thing because we never had mosquito problems on the outskirts of Cape Town) so I would recommend a mosquito repellent or net for the little ones.

There's a small garden in front and a bigger one with a small pool in the back. Unfortunately, the water was too cold for swimming but the gardens provided a nice place to relax and was also perfect for hiding Easter eggs for our kids on Easter day. There are no televisions in the rooms but a a big television in the living room adjoining the breakfast room.

Three Anchor Bay is right in the center but very safe. No matter what people say, you CAN walk at night here. There are people walking about and there are A LOT of restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. We walked to restaurants and back to the hotel at night and enjoyed the pleasant April nights.

I would definitely recommend staying here - perhaps not for a long stay and they only take cash as of the time of this review. But it is very central, cozy and the hosts are extremely nice. They are also kid-friendly, which is very rare for a B&B or hotel in the middle of Cape Town.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family