“Hiltom cape town”

Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cape town, South Africa
“Hiltom cape town”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

There is Good service and facility. But considering bad safety of south africa, location. of Hilton cape town is not so good. And viwe of outside window is not so good. So I think autholities of hotel need to care about surrounding of hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our modern facilities and renowned customer service. However, it is with regret that you did not enjoy our location in the vibrant city centre, which is regularly complimented by our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Marc O. Schumacher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My Wife felt so upset she thought sending an email would help highlight the issues so they could be rectified.
the email message explains it all;
On Friday evening (14th March) my husband booked a table for two for your Indian buffet to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary as we had recently spent time in Sri Lanka and had loved the cuisine there and always enjoy Indian dishes.

On arrival, at 7.30pm, nobody seemed sure where we were to sit, but luckily there was a two seater table available for us. We noticed that there were reserved signs elsewhere but obviously not for us!

We ordered a drink and expected to be shown around the buffet and explained to about the various dishes ( signs were much later, hastily placed in front of these dishes) but eventually got up and had a wander along then asked a waiter where we should start. We were shown to the starter table and when I asked what the soup was, the staff member (in a black outfit) lifted up the ladle ,had a look at it and said “vegetable”. OK?

The starters were, however, delicious and we were looking forward to see what the main dishes offered.

I took a small portion each of the rice, daal, mango chicken, lamb korma and lamb vindaloo. It all looked delicious, but on first mouthful, I realised it was hardly warm. I asked the waiter if he could heat it for me in a microwave (not ideal ,but I couldn’t think of any other way) which he did. My husband asked if the warmers had been switched on and a staff member in a chef’s hat went behind the main buffet table and seemed to be adjusting something and plugging things in.

I was given my plate back and I proceeded to eat my ,now warm, food. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. The korma was like a lamb stew, with no Indian flavours and even the vindaloo which is supposed to be fiery was bland. The only dish with any real taste was a tandoori style chicken which was supposed to be eaten with the starters. This was delicious and saved the day.

On to the deserts. The cardomon crème brulee looked lovely and I love chai so was very excited to taste the chai rice pudding. We asked what we should have the rice pudding in and were told a soup bowl, but after waiting for one which never materialised, we had our rice pudding on a plate! It was as delicious as I had hoped. On to the crème brulee, which had no crust, but had a beautiful texture. Unfortunately , that’s where the positives end. It had absolutely no taste. My husband even said that if he were in a “blind tasting” he would not have had any idea what he was eating.

We also had to constantly ask for plates and cutlery and the replenishing of bain maries which were not always on the buffet tables. Staff seemed to walk past, oblivious to requirements.

As friendly as the staff were, they did not seem prepared or trained for a busy evening and we certainly did not receive the service and quality one would expect from a Hilton Hotel.

Instead of having champagne and possibly booking a room for the night as we had planned, we stayed with light beer and left within an hour and a half of arriving.

The very reason for our booking was from an expectation of authentic quality food and excellent service which the Hilton brand claims. This we did not experience.

Being so disappointed I felt compelled to inform you of our situation in the hopes that it help correct the experience for future diners.

this email was sent on Monday 17th - 4 DAYS LATER - not even a "thanks for the mail" nothing.

This place is an absolute joke - friendly enough people with no clue how to run a hotel.
Don't be fooled by the international chain name, this one is an embarrasment, for them as well as me, when I think that tourists are booking in daily expecting the acclaimed standards and getting a circus! This is embarassing for me as a Capetonian.
You have been warned.
Z

Room Tip: didn't get to most of the amenities as we just wanted to get the hell out of there fast.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ZVantastic
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience at our property. I understand our Food & Beverage Manager has also contacted you directly via email.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused due to shortcomings in service you experienced, especially on this special occasion.

Please be assured that your experience certainly does not reflect the high level of service and gastronomy we strive to offer, nevertheless your report is seen in a serious light and has been reviewed and addressed with the relevant managers and supervisors in order to avoid this from happening in the future.

We always endeavor to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that this time we failed to meet your expectations.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed here for 9 days and would highly recommend this hotel to any travellers in Cape Town. The professionalism from every member of staff I encounter was second to none. The rooms are large and luxurious – ask for a room facing table mountain as the views are amazing. The breakfast was always fresh and plentiful with very enthusiastic staff. The concierge staff were incredibly helpful and smiley which was a pleasure.
The swimming pool is small but helps in the heat! One tip of advice is sunbath to the right hand side of it as when the sun moves round the left is covered by shade. The gym contained very modern equipment and whilst small it was more than sufficient. The steam and sauna are also small.
The hotel has a very personal feel considering it’s a chain and I would without doubt recommend this hotel. Thanks guys for an epic stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Table mountain!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor.

Your positive comments about our location and facilities are much appreciated and I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

It is particularly warming to receive such great compliments for our team members and I have shared your report proudly with my management colleagues and the whole hotel team.

Thank you for recommending Hilton Cape Town City Centre and I hope that my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another “epic” stay in the very near future.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The staff was extremely polite and handful. They went out of their way to accommodate our needs. The food and beverages in the club lounge were excellent. Nasir, our driver from MK Exotic Tours was absolutely fabulous. His passion, knowledge, and expertise made my trip to Cape Town especially memorable. I highly recommend the hotel and its transportation services.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shawnrece M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor.

It is such a pleasure to read that you experienced the friendliness and passion our team members are renowned for and I am proud that we could contribute to creating memories of your trip to Cape Town.

Thank you for staying with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Cape Town City Centre in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed one night after a 30+ hour transit from the US. The hotel picked us up at the airport and the driver was very polite and helpful. Check in was smooth and we were constantly asked if we wanted any fruit or anything to drink. The room was quite large with a shower and a soaking tub. We had a view of Signal Hill, complete with a good sized balcony. We used the pool, which was nice and clean, and easy to get to. The location is downtown, a couple blocks from the colorful Bo-Kaap buildings and a couple blocks from Long Street. We only stayed one night and then got on with our trip, but could easily have spent several more nights here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton Cape Town City Centre with the TripAdvisor community.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and hope that you will be able to return to Cape Town and our hotel for a longer period of time in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Close to Table Mountain and waterfront.
Spectacular view of Table Mountain from floor lobby.
Wide selection of food for breakfast but refill is a bit slow.
Staff in the cafe is polite with good manner.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Martha L
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

It is great to read that you were just as amazed by our view of Table Mountain as we are ourselves every day. Your positive comments are much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is one of the better Hiltons in the world. Well worth staying here if you like the brand. It's more for the business person than the tourist. Great staff who strive to please. Easy check-in and check-out. Difficult to find parking when you arrive, if you have your own car, but because it's South Africa, feel free to do the illegal parking thing - everyone does.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Patrick E
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I was pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and especially mentioned our attentive and hospitable team members.

I hope that my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.