“Great but 'quirky' bathroom”

Hilton Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #44 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked twin room with a friend as part of holiday stay in cape town. As my friend is gold card with Hilton they had upgraded room to executive we were told at check in. The lifts however signalled that executive rooms were on a different floor to ours so not sure if we were in a upgraded room or not. Judging by the size of the room I would think not as the two large single beds didnt leave much spare space in the rather compact room. However awesome view out to table mountain and bed was very comfy.
Main gripe was the bathroom. The fittings, bath and huge shower were all fantastic. Problem was that it had a frosted glass sliding door and a patterned glass panel next to that which meant that it wasn't properly closed off from main room. Now wether travelling with friends or a partner, I have no desire to see or hear (or smell) what is going on in the bathroom. The doorway itself was about less than a metre away from one of the beds. Really cool looking but really, bathrooms should be sealed off with proper lockable doors. Highly unimpressed.
Breakfast was a great selection and all tasty. Again due to my friends gold card we had access to the executive area. A very bland unininviting area with crisps/biscuits laid out with drinks And alcohol available for few hours in eve.
All in all great hotel just totally ruined in my opinion by the stupid bathroom.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adam R

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Brief & concise...Room was filthy! From the toilet, to the sheets, to the WALLS. Go elsewhere with your money. Only good thing, free shuttle to the waterfront. Travel to Sea Point which is just a few more minutes further out. Two nights was more than enough for us to be there. Unfortunately it was our last stop before returning home, and by far the worst stay out of our entire trip to South Africa.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 1Marisol13
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying and sharing your recent experience at Hilton Cape Twon City Centre on this platform.

I was dissapointed to hear that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your room. Your comments have been viewed in a very serious light and have been passed on to the Executive Housekeeper.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle service.

I wish to welcome you back in the near future in order to redeem our services to you.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Enjoyed a one night (late) stay in this hotel. Laundry quickly pressed my shirt and steam pressed my suit at 10pm at night. Nicely adorned room and bathroom. Perfect location for walking into the city centre for business. Quant cape malay quarter up street behind hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hilton Cape Town City Centre on this platform.

Your positive comments about the laundry service, comfortable rooms and prime location are greatly appreciated and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

A very nicely appointed room and the lighting is placed so that it is useful, unlike many hotels were it seems designed to be romantic but useless. The parquetry floor combined with an interconnecting door (securely locked of course) could lead to noise problems but my neighbours seemed to go to bed early so was not a problem.
The area seems fine but I was cautious as from my room I could watch the homeless people sleeping on the other side of Wale St. If you have a room on a lower floor overlooking Wale St you may be woken by the very early morning laundry truck. When you do wake up you have a good view of Table Mountain, subject to the weather naturally.
Staff are pleasant, helpful and attentive, even if it did take a couple of hours to deliver the requested iron to the room. They were full of apologies about that and even got to the point of offering to do my ironing for me - I declined, and the iron had just turned up anyway.
Breakfast buffet range is smaller than some similar hotels but is quite satisfactory and is beautifully presented. You can ask for hot chocolate instead of tea and coffee if you like.
There is a free hourly shuttle to the waterfront until 6pm. 100 meg wifi is free each 24 hours.
Would happily stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Cape Town City Centre with the TripAdvisor community.

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us, but would like to sincerely apologize for the housekeeping issue raised in your comment. Please be assured that incidents such as these are certainly not in keeping with the high standards we strive to maintain and I have shared your report with the Executive Housekeeper, who will review the matter.

Your positive comments regarding our rooms and breakfast offer are much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here for business and found the staff friendly and helpful, the room itself was very nice. I could walk to see quite a lot and the waterfront was just a short taxi ride. The concierge desk was helpful. Would recommend it

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with Hilton Cape Town City Centre during your recent visit to Cape Town.

Your positive comments, pointing out our central location, comfortable rooms and friendliness of team members are much appreciated and I have relayed them to the rest of my team.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hilton Cape Town is a small hotel centrally located in the CBD (or Downtown for our American friends). I stayed for a business trip and found the hotel clean, quiet and relaxing. Particularly noteworthy was the friendliness of the staff. Shuttles run to the Waterfront area every hour. The conciege desk was very helpful in providing options for eating out. Not recommended to people looking for a resort size hotel, but if your preference is more at the boutique end, then this could be the hotel for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hilton Cape Town City Centre on TripAdvisor. I am particularly pleased to receive such kind comments about our team members and to know that our efforts to provide excellent customer service are represented by each and every person in the hotel.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had an Executive Room with a balcony. The room quality and comfort were excellent. Breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The only downside was the location. My meetings were at the Convention Center. It was an easy walk but at certain times of the day, I was uncomfortable walking and chose to take a cab.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed our modern and comfortable rooms as well as our breakfast offer. Your kind comments regarding our team members are much appreciated and I have relayed your report to the rest of my team.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Cape Town.