“Excellent Well Run Hotel”

Hilton Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Situated on the edge of Bo-Kaap (the Cape Malay district) with its colourful houses and restaurants the hotel is excellently located within an easy 10 minutes walk of both Long Street - with its plethora of restaurants - and the City Centre. For those who would find the 25 minute walk to the Waterfront too taxing the hotel runs a free hourly shuttle bus there and back between 09:00 and 18:00.
The general management and running of the hotel was exemplary. Staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly; Rooms are well furnished and provide a wide range of amenities and the breakfasts were excellent.
Additional facilities include a small but welcoming open air pool, free internet access and an underground car park beneath the hotel available at a reasonable daily charge.
The Executive rooms on the 7th and 8th floors are luxurious and provide excellent views over either the V&A Waterfront and Table Bay or Table Mountain.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel as a base for your Cape town stay.

Room Tip: Executive rooms on the top floors provide excellent views
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hezac
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

How wonderful that you enjoyed the luxury and breathtaking views from our Executive floors.
Your comfort is our top priority and I am delighted that we met all your expectations.

Your compliments regarding our management and team was particularly heart warming and I have relayed your message to my team.

We look forward to welcome you back soon and I hope to have the pleasure of meeting your during your next stay.

Markus Fritz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Location is okay - close to Table Mountain and GreenMarket, but far enough away from V&A and other attractions that you need a lift. Shuttle provided to V&A but only at certain times, and not in the evenings. Rooms are nice, and luxurious, however the noise was unbearable from the elevators backing up to our beds. Staff was average - meaning some great, some bad. Housekeeping didn't pick up our laundry as they said they would which left us with dirty clothes for the 2nd half of our trip. Located in the Bo-Kaap Muslim area of downtown, the "Honors" breakfast had no meat items. Our safe was opened by Staff while we were out, and the letter managment wrote was not accurate as to circumstances. Overall for a multiple nite stay, the poor attention to details and lack of security was unacceptable. Too many finer places to stay in Capetown to go back.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of table mountain and away from any elevators, especially backing up to y...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank mzungu f
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed the luxury offered by our hotel rooms.

We strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. Please accept my sincere apologies for the frustration you experienced during your stay.

Your report is viewed in a very serious light and I have taken the necessary steps to inform the relevant Heads of Department of the issues raised, who have taken the necessary action within their department to ensure that the shortfalls you encountered do not happen again.

In an effort to meet the needs of our diverse guests and the communities in which we operate, Hilton Cape Town City Centre provides a Halaal-friendly environment. Breakfast is served according to Hilton Brand standards and as an alternative, Macon is served on the breakfast buffet.

We would like to welcome you back . Given such an opportunity, I should be most grateful if you would contact me directly so that I can personally take care of your reservation and ensure the hospitality you would expect from the Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

this hotel offers an easy and safe bo-kaap location on buitengracht street. 30min drive from/to airport, 10min to table mountain cable car and walking distance to downtown. from 9-6 the free hotel shuttle takes you to the v&a waterfront on the hour and back to the hotel 10min past the hour. after 06pm can be arranged against a small fee. across the street of the hilton is a fully stocked liquor store next to a very clean and safe subways sandwich shop. furthermore only a couple of restaurants closeby without many customers as far as we could notice. go to the waterfront for spurs (like chili's or applebees) or try karibu's african restaurant (must do!!) for incredible and affordable quality meats. hotel staff very friendly and accommodating. rooms may either have city/table mountain or bo-kaap/pool view. when staying at the latter you may hear a slight sound from the mosque at 5am, but only when you're a very light sleeper and sleep with open windows. even if you're awake the prayer is barely noticable. I'd prefer those rooms with a pretty view of this capetown landmark with it's colourful houses and the pretty pool deck, while the table mountain is best seen from a longer distance like e.g. the waterfront. rooms have a safe, flatscreen tv, coffee-/tea facilities, bathroom amenities, desk, non sensored mini bar and they are really large. I can also recommend room service (e.g. yummy cheeseburgers) which is not expensive. the parking garage underneath the hotel is safe and costs 90rand a day. when driving in and out frequently, check the reception to activate your room key(-card) which then can be used for getting out (out only). the heated saltwater pool area is just fantastic in summertime. this would always be the reason for me to choose the hilton instead of other hotels of it's class (e.g. westin). overall no major faults at this hilton and you can't go wrong here, however ask for an invoice preview before checking out. I found some mini bar items on there which we did'nt use. capetown area is fantastic, but you will not do without a rental car from the moment you'll arrive. enjoy.

Room Tip: ask for high rooms with balcony and pool view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank griswolds09
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

Dear Valued guest

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the culture and heritage offered by our location in the Historical Bo-Kaap area. Your compliments regarding our "yummy" cheeseburgers is appreciated and have been communicated with our Executive Chef Andy!

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to a billing error. Your report has been forwarded to the Food & Beverage Manager who will take the necessary steps to avoid this from happening again.

We are delighted that Hilton Cape Town City Centre is your number 1 choice of hotels and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

The new Hilton in Cape Town is fresh, clean, elegant and stylish. A warm welcome at reception (though only two check-in desks could cause delays at a busy time). Rooms were bright, airy, tastefully decorated. Beds, as usual with most Hilton hotels were extremely comfortable. Our executive-floor room had views over towards the bay and a small balcony, safely railed for kids. Staff are friendly and helpful. The pool area is small but pleasant, and the outdoor pool is well shaded and heated. Worth noting that both the main restaurants are entirely halaal, and no alcohol (or foods like bacon, etc) is available at either. You can get a drink at the poolside bar, the executive lounge or in-room dining.
Their signature restuarant 'Mezbaan' was closed for a private function leaving only the Bistro and pool bar for paying guests, which was most unfortunate. However, the Signal Lounge (pool bar) manager managed to rustle up a Mezbaan menu for us and we had the meal poolside. Food was tasty and plentiful without being outstanding.
It is surprising that a global chain such as Hilton should choose to restrict its choice of menu/drinks in both its restaurants in a country with such a small minority of Islamic patrons, especially given that there are many Halaal restaurant options available in the city. You may as well have made it kosher.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

Your comments describing our property as "elegant" and "stylish" is particularly warming coming from a well travelled guest as yourself.

I would like to apologize that you were not able to enjoy the ambiance of our authentic Indian restaurant. Your feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for future planning.

As a global hospitality company, we serve as a meeting place for people from all walks of life. In an effort to meet the needs of our diverse guests and the communities in which we operate, Hilton Cape Town City Centre provides a Halaal-friendly environment.

Two of our restaurants, Bistro 126 and Mezbaan have been certified as Halaal by SANHA (South African National Halaal Authority).
Alcohol is available at Signal Hill Lounge located at the pool deck and the Executive lounge.

I hope that this did not negatively affect your stay and that you were still able to create magical memories in Cape Town.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed here for a week

Pros: Really friendly staff, comfortable rooms, I had a great Table Mountain view, handy for Long Street attractions, shuttle bus available. Nice bar/pool area.

Cons: Resturants dead at night, better to eat outside for atmosphere. Long way from conference centre. Some laundry delivery problems

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest

It is good to know that you enjoyed our pool and bar area where some of the Cape's finest wines are served. Your positive feedback regarding our friendly staff is appreciated and have been shared with my team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to service related shortcomings in our laundry department. I trust that the issue was resolved swiftly and to your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcome you back to the Hilton Cape Town City Centre to enjoy more majestic views of Table Mountain.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The first thing you see when driving into the hotel’s parking area is a sign advising you of the extremely expensive additional rate for overnight parking. And this pretty much sets the tone for the rest of your stay – the Hilton misses no tricks in trying to make an extra buck out of you.

I got a special rate on the room of about 1500 rand (€150) a night, but that really is room only. No breakfast. Not even parking.

The room itself was nice enough, but extremely small – I stayed in bigger Hilton rooms in the UK, which is not a country known for its spaciousness. I also did not get the city-view room I had booked.

There were two big problems with the room. First, there is a dull blue light at the toilet – useful if you get up in the night, you’d think. But it is not possible to switch this light off. And since the bathroom is only separated from the bedroom by a frosted-glass sliding door, this means the entire room is necessarily bathed in blue light. This is very disturbing if you’re sensitive to light when sleeping. I had to make an elaborate arrangement with half a dozen towels to keep the light out of the room.

The other major problem is with the bed linen. Our bed had no top sheet – only a very thick and fluffy duvet. This is Cape Town in February. It is the height of summer. The only way to sleep under this thick a duvet is to set the air-con to Arctic. I am sure the hotel could have supplied a top sheet if asked for, but by the time you’re getting into bed, the last thing you want to do is phone reception in your boxer shorts and ask them to come make your bed properly. So you set the air-con as low as it goes and cover yourself with 100kg of duck feather.

Even by the Hilton group’s patchy standards, this hotel was poor value. It felt throughout as if they wanted to wring every last rand out of you.

I normally stay at the Cape Town Lodge, which is diagonally across the road from the Hilton. It is much better value and much nicer altogether. I’d never stay at this Hilton again. I doubt if I’d ever stay in any Hilton again, to be honest.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Cape Town Lodge across the road instead. If you do stay here, the "City Vi...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThereGoesDeon

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review on your stay at the Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I regret that you were not satisfied with your recent stay. Our bedding is supplied according to Hilton brand standards; however, we are very happy to provide a top sheet on request to ensure your comfort and a good night’s rest.

Underground parking is chargeable and rates are in accordance with underground parking charges in Cape Town. Off street parking is available, but at the risk of the car owner.

Your feedback and comments is appreciated and I hope that you would choose the Hilton Cape Town City Centre for a future stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

The Hilton is located in a great part of town- walking distance to some wonderful neighborhoods and streets and a quick shuttle ride away from the water front! I stayed here for a conference and found the amenities to be convenient and the food was actually good! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

I am very pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy the rich history and culture of the traditional Bo-Kaap area.

Your positive comments regarding our good food is greatly appreciated and have been relayed to the Executive Chef and the rest of my team.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon!