“New family on the road”

Two Oceans Backpackers
Two Oceans Backpackers
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Jacques and Abhu are very friendly. More over: they are very concerned about every guest who newly arrives in the city. The locals (long-period backpackers) were very helpful in going around: bus, minibus, on foot - best supermarkets, liquer stores, dancing places, swimming pools. For me this was what I needed: a family to take care of me for a while in a city that was new to me... And they certainly did. All of them. I am very grateful for my stay there.
I took a single room for 10 days and I had to ask to clean it. If I didn't ask, no one would enter the room... I like that. The bathroom facilities needed restoration, but if I am not mistaken I think they started with it a week ago. The kitchen needs really some restoration, but it's as clean as it can get in a backpacker. And again: the atmosphere is priceless.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Reizigstar

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my time at two oceans because the people were so nice n it feels like u have new family when u around them and also a special thanks to the manager Abhu, he is so fun n he made me feel so welcome and he always organised Sunday communal braai which is awesome coz it gave us time to know each other as guests. Two Oceans Rocks

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ongama M
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This place is central but far more important the people who stay there (couple of them for a longer period) and the managers really form a great, supportive community. For me, this is the essence of a backpackers hostel. They invited me to join them for a soccer game in the 2010 World Cup stadium (what a wonderful time!) and later in the week we went out to party together. They genuinely helped with choosing programmes, Jacques made a million phone call to book tours that he had no financial interest in. Because of work, I didn't have time to plan my 5 days in Cape Town, I arrived frustrated, afraid of scams, security, etc. And I landed in a hostel where I found this cheerful bunch who I cannot be enough thankful for, they really made trip worth while. Beyond the usual touristy stuff, I got a glimpse of the local culture. It's rare to find such a great staff and community. Abu, Jacques, Mandy, Clint, Obama and all. Thank you again! Special thanks to Jacques!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andras M
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This place is certainly cheap, but remember that you get what you pay for... During my time there, I wasn't even given a key for access to the room I stayed in (they didn't have enough keys), thus leaving me to depend on the presence of others in the same dorm to get in and out. Also, I was not given a locker key despite requesting one numerous times. I had my phone stolen as a result by one of the other people staying in the same dorm while I went to the bathroom to shave and brush my teeth, and it turns out that this individual was an identity thief. He had used someone else's ID number to check in, but the staff didn't come to know this until later... They never actually physically check the identification of guests which enabled this to happen. I know this because they never even checked my passport and trusted that I gave them the right number from memory.

The dorms are horribly cramped.

Otherwise, the staff was friendly and the other guests were fun and chilled out. Another positive is that the beds were quite comfortable. Don't stay here if you are traveling with many valuables, and if you do so, make sure to keep them with you at all times... Even when going to the shower. Yes, take your laptop with you when you shower!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank SriAlmighty
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This backpackers is really well situated and for the price, I don't think you can get any better. Don't rely on the staff for anything tough as they don't even know the big attractions of their own city and even scheduling a taxi seems like a too hard job to do... But once more, for the price, especially in Cape Town, you get a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nini2686
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Two Oceans Backpackers was my house in Cape Town. It is a decent place to stay. It is simple, but it is good. The manager is doing a good work and I believe that Two Oceans will be much better in the near future. Basically, it is clean, simple, affordable, well localized and has a small but good staff. Abu, the manager, is smart, kind and very communicative. He can help you with helpful information about the city. He makes you feel at home. This hostel has 24h of hot water and has a big television at its spacious and beautiful living room. The kitchen is organized and has everything for your needs. When you check in, you receive a code to type to get in and get out. Nice place. I do recommend. I would give "VERY GOOD", but I wanna see it becomes still better and improving. Thanks Abu for receiving us so well! I had a great time in Cape Town!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Fabio G
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed one night there in December 2011 - the best location if you are on foot, not recommendable if you are travelling with a car - hard to get parking in the city downtown

Nothing really special and distinctive from other backpackers in the city, but nothing bad as well - don't hesitate to stay in two Oceans

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
City Bowl
Once in Cape Town
Once in Cape Town
#8 of 128 in Cape Town Central

Been to Two Oceans Backpackers? Share your experiences!