“probably the best price/quality ratio in capetown”

Pepperclub Hotel & Spa
Ranked #47 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Grenoble, France
“probably the best price/quality ratio in capetown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great hotel, great staff, great services, great location, great breakfast... i dont have any complain about Pepper Club.
the rooms are very good, with a small kitchen available, toilet is detached to the bathroom and they have nice balcony.
Hotel is close to the long st, where you will find the best bars in capetown.
the staffs are lovely and always helpful.

try the expesso coffee, excellent even for a legitimate italian.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Bottan
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you Jose for the ‘great’ review! WOW! It is always warming to receive such wonderful feedback.

We are thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our establishment and that our espresso coffee is of an excellent standard…even for an Legitimate Italian.

We look forward to having you stay with again, hopefully in the near future.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed at The Pepper Club twice, and enjoyed both experiences. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and you can see that they enjoy working there - which says a lot. The reception, bar and restaurant area is stylish and very bling-bling, and if you're lucky you might spot an international celeb - the magician Dynamo stayed there when we were there. It also houses many participants of the international jazz festival, if I'm not mistaken. The grande piano in the foyer sets the tone for this classy hotel. The bar service is fantastic, and the food at the restaurant is great too. Both times I stayed there, the room I got was quite small but the incredible views made up for it. Oh, and you get to choose your own linen ... Egyptian cotton, anyone? The hotel's location is absolutely perfect for drinks in Cape Town's party central, Long street, and many tourist attractions are walking distance: the Company Gardens, the Iziko Museum, St George's Cathedral, Parliament, etc and the hotel is on a bus route (My City) that takes you to the Waterfront.

I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for the fantastic review you posted on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are pleased to hear that you had great stay at the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa on both occasions staying with us. Thank you for recognising our dedicated staff who contributed to making your stay enjoyable. Rest assured that they have all been commended on their top efforts.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again…sooner rather than later.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was my second stay here. As you step inside the Hotel the lobby area you realse its pretty small. The reception desk also is prety small. So are the 2 lifts going up to different floor levels. a big grand Piano occupies some space here too. The Ambience is beautiful and oppulent. A you turn around the lobby a step up and you are accosted with the Bar, long and well stacked. at the end is the breakfast restaurant;there some sitting arrangements on the patio outside where one can even smoke and eat, looking at the side street and the Concept club across the road. The Breakfast was not so much as expected. The room was wonderful, well maintained and very modern, with full amenities; very comforting. Overall this is a very good place to stay, as it is also located around Long Street, the night life area of Cape Town. Now what is discomforting is that if you have a room on the South side then you have to go either around thelobby and behind the hoteltowards the business Centre, or take the lobby lift to the 8th floor and then go aroundfind another lift which will take you to your floor. its a long ardous walk if you havebaggages, which of course you may hand over to the concierge. the Lobby staff personnel are very helpful and friendly. i enjoyed their service. Would not mind staying once again here.

Room Tip: Not on the South Side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank p0ruse
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa as your choice of accommodation and for the review which you kindly posted on TripAdvisor. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.

We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our staff were of great assistance.

We look forward to welcoming you back, yet again, on your next trip to Cape Town.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a difficult visit to pigeon-hole. The Pepper Club calls itself "luxury 5 star hotel and spa" and, on check-in, there's certainly an experience of some opulence. I'd actually call the reception area, with the auto-play piano, more "boutique hotel", but the check-in process felt welcoming to me. The desk clerk went into a long soliloque around all the facilities the hotel had to offer - far to much for me to take in. However, the overall impression was that there was much to do here.

First impressions:

The auto-play piano: I've never heard one play so many wrong notes
The lifts: Royksopp playing 24/7 to a video that's a semi-erotic story of a young couple in love checking in, then experiencing the hotel. Oh, by the way, after floor 16, there's only one of the two lifts you can use, and the programming on them doesn't always prioritise. I was pleased to be on the 14th floor, so I could use either.

The room my company had booked was actually a one-bedroom apartment. Very generous in room sizes and appointments, with two 42 inch plasmas, one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. Both the lounge and bedroom had Table Mountain views and a great wraparound balcony was nice to stand on (no furniture) when the wind was low.

Moments after checking in, a waiter brought up a bottle of complimentary wine and tray of nibbles. I'll keep the wine until my girlfriend joins me here, and the nibbles weren't to my taste, so I left those. No-one has cleared them away (this is now day 10), though I've noticed that each day, fewer of the nibbles remain. Someone is eating them (I wonder who?)

And here we have the first indication that "luxury 5 star" is more of an aspiration than fact. The details, always the details.

In my room, I found it impossible to turn off the hall and living room lights. I found the master switches (one by the door and one by the living room TV) but neither worked. Nor did the air conditioning, meaning that the fantastic wraparound picture windows onto the balcony created a glass hot box mid-afternoon that made the whole suite impossible to use.

And then there was the WiFi. Free throughout the hotel, but up and down like a pleasure beach donkey. I did report the air conditioning and lights to Reception on the morning after checking in. I was told someone would take a look.

I did report the air conditioning and lights to Reception the morning after first reporting them. I was told someone would take a look.

On day 3, someone came to fix the air conditioning. It working for 3 hours.

I called Reception and they sent the guy again, who fixed the air conditioning again. This time, it lasted 12 hours. On the third visit, the guy told me he's have to get an electrician in also, to fix the light swiches.

On day 4, with the air conditioning appearing fixed, an electrician turned up in the morning (8:30am) to install a new master switch by the door. Now installed and working, but nothing was done to the living room master. So if you happen to be staying in room 1401, you can only turn the hall and living room lights out by the main appartment door.

Interesting note around the air conditioning. Now it works, and the way it's installed in my bedroom, it blows straight into my face when on. As a result, I have to switch it off when in bed, no matter how uncomfortably warm it is.

More on the room:

One of the noisiest hotel experiences I've ever had, because of the Long Street partying that goes right through the night. Not helped by badly fitting doors that not only let in the noise, but vibrate like a jet engine coming into land when Cape Town's famous high winds blow. Not conducent to good sleep.

This hotel operates a "turn down" service. Now, for me, I don't care whether someone comes into my room, closes the curtains and turns down a corner of the bedspread. I could do those things myself, and often do at home.

Turndowns usually involve a little square of chocolate on the pillow but not here. Here, turndown is more random. Some evenings, you get all the curtains closed. Other nights, just the bedroom. One evening, I had a knock on the door at 6:30pm asking if the lady could "tuen down". Two nights, no-one came at all. No consistency, no management.

So, currently I'm here with work and 7 other colleagues are staying here. One has had two phones stolen from their room, another can't put anything away safely as there's no safe in the room, another hasn't had their balcony cleaned in 6 weeks, meaning that it's covered in bird droppings and smells - this despite asking on three occasions.

If this is starting to develop a theme, right, and that theme is "service". I've spent the last few years living mostly out of hotels, and I've never come across service that's so inconsistent and poor.

Another example: breakfast service. I'm sure all the tables are made up correctly at the start of service, though whenever I arrive, I've always had to find my cutlery from other tabels, and very often a salt and papper, or butter dish, or side plate. It's not that there are too few staff, it's just that they don't scan (the room, eye to eye). It feels as if there's no real management or supervision in place there to make sure that things run smoothly. On most mornings, I've needed several attempts at getting someone's attention to get my coffee, and simply orders like "a single fried egg, over easy" are interpreted as anything from two eggs, sunny side up to an omelette.

Another one: evening food. One evening, I was served the worst beefburger I've ever had. A few nights later, one of the best fillet steaks. The fillet steak, in particular, was cooked to perfection - though the same couldn't be said for my colleagues' steaks, that were randomly cooked, rather than as per the order. Interestingly, the steaks came with seasonal vegetables and potato fondue. Veg were nice, couldn't say about the potatoes, as we got french fries instead (for no apparant reason).

So, back to "dear diary":

Day 2.

The hotel operates a fress shuttle bus to the V&A Waterfront and also to it's Camps Bay restaurant (Petter Club on the Beach). I met my work colleagues there for our Friday evening out. What a location! What a view! What a wait, even for the pre-dinner drinks. Then another very long wait after asking for the menu. And another before the waiter took our order. And so on...

The food itself - inconsistent. One diner thoroughly enjoyed a meat platter (the "Butcher's Block"), whereas others, including me, ate a very uninteresting chicken schnitzel.

The shuttle bus is a real plus here, as it saves the taxis in both directions. Last one from the Beach Club is 10:30pm, and there was room on it for all of us. Box ticked!

Day 3.

WiFi had been as reliable as politicians' promises up to now, and it was really important for me to have a reliable connection today. I was booking the tickets for my girlfriend's flight over to Cape Town. I had originally asked the Pepper Club receptionist if they would offer me a similar rate for our "holiday" stay as they had offered the company for my business stay. This was point-blank refused - "we can only offer the rack rate" - which was showing as £398 a night on ebooker. Dear reader, you won't be surprised by now if you hear that I decided on a different hotel.

Back to WiFi. Nothing. All night. I missed the fight option I wanted and the "free WiFi" cost me around £300, the difference between flights I could have purchased the day before, if I could have got online.

Day 4.

WiFi works. Ah, it's down again. Just don't expect to be able to use Skype, Viber or any SIP client using this WiFi. It's too unreliable and the speed just won't cope with video. I've now given up trying and back to using a local SIM card (CellC offers good UK rates, by the way).

Now, though, neither of the TV remotes work. Probably the batteries. I saw probably because as I write this on day 10, the TV remotes still don't work.

Day 7.

Another colleague joins us. She's been booked in from Friday but is now arriving a day early. The Pepper Club manages to find her a room, but this does mean she'll have to move rooms tomorrow. No matter, we are all together in the same hotel.

Day 8.

Newly arrived colleague checks out of the first room, then asks the receptionist to arrange for her baggage to be moved. On arriving back at the hotel in the evening, she checks with reception, who have now forgotten who she is and can't find any record of her. Eventually they do find her, someone pops up to the rooms to check then returns to say "sorry, your bags are all open. Oh, and there's a bicycle in your room".

Off to Pepper Club on the Beach again. Whjat a difference in two weeks. What a location! What a view! What a wait, even for the pre-dinner drinks. Then another very long wait after asking for the menu. And another before the waiter took our order. And so on...

The food itself, this week, was very good and I had a very memorable steak - ostrich this time, which reminded me (for some unknown reason) of Wetherspoons. But good food, well cooked and served - eventually - well.

Day 9.

On the bus again in the morning to the Pepper Club on the Beach. They offer free use of changing rooms, showers and towels, so ideal for those wanting a day on the sand. Make no mistake, this is quite a visionary concept, linking a city centre hotel with a beach resort. And it works. Until, that is, you have to hand your towel back BEFORE going back into the changing rooms to shower. Asking for a second towel seemed to really spook the lady I asked, but she did go off and find one - a small hand towel. How to spoil a great concept!

Day 10.

A lady at Reception very kindly checked the Table Mountain status then booked and printed out tickets for us. The saves money and queuing and I'd highly recommend asking at your hotel, wherever that may be.

Later on in the day, two of our party asked if the receptionist could assist around the Robben Island trip. Her response of "You can't possibly do that now today" felt to them as if they'd be scolded by an irrited teacher.

Inconsistencies.

So that's it so far. I leave in 2 weeks, though I'll be back soon in Cape Town for another 2 months. Some of my colleagues will be here for another 4 weeks. I'm sure there'll be more little incidents to tarnish our stay, but I'm also sure you're probably bored of reading this now. I do hope, though, that this report is seen as observational and objective, as I seek to report facts here, not make judgements. I'll leave that to you, dear traveller.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank petervenn
Pepper_Club_PR, CEO at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Venn,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa on TripAdvisor and we are, naturally, very disappointed with some of your experiences here. These are certainly not the standards that we aim to achieve and will take direction from your review.

We are extremely concerned at the issues you raised about your suite and assure you that all maintenance issues have now been resolved. As we take all reviews seriously, I personally held an inspection of your suite and found it to be in excellent order. Unfortunately, being located in a vibrant city centre location, we are faced with noise challenges from time to time.

Our recently appointed General Manager is working hard with her management team to correct any service inefficiencies which may exist and to provide direction to the heads of department.

We are sorry that you find the promotional video distasteful - it was certainly not our intention to portray this image, nor do we think that we do. Indeed the video was produced with the family audience in mind, as we have many parents with their children staying at the hotel and have received many compliments.

Indeed, as you are still resident in the hotel, it would be an opportunity for the General Manager to meet with you to discuss the various service issues and inconsistencies you have raised and I am delighted that you agreed to do so. It is a goal to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel.

Nick Seewer
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Comments based on a 4 night stay in early March in Room 1405.

Great things about the hotel:
- pool and gym overlooking Table Mountain
- located on long street around some of the top restaurants according to tripadvisor reviews (recommend Fork and Mama Africa)
- reception, porter and concierge all excellent. Special mention to Laverne (concierge during afternoon/evening) who helped us out a great deal, always with a smile and a laugh. Very grateful to her.
- free shuttle service to/from Camps Bay (where Pepper Club also has a beach restaurant) and the v&a waterfront with regularity everyday
- very good room and bathroom, always clean.

Things that could be better:
- housekeeping. Room was always clean but we never had towels (as in dirty ones taken but no clean ones left), milk for tea and coffee never replaced and despite advising maintenance the phone did not work this was not fixed. In isolation each wasn't a big deal but it became annoying that everyday we were missing something.

Overall, a very good hotel but if/when I come to Cape Town again I think I would stay nearer the waterfront.

• Stayed March 2013
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa on TripAdvisor. Your feedback was greatly appreciated and warmly received.

We are happy to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you explored the surrounding areas of the hotel. We are really lucky to be located in an area where one is spoilt for choice when it comes to cuisine.

Thank you for the lovely comments on the mentioned staff. Your feedback and praise has been communicated to the relevant staff.

Please rest assured that your concerns have been taken up with higher management and dealt with accordingly to avoid any such incidents occurring in the future.

Trust you had a safe journey home.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel is a must if you are travelling to Cape Town! Centrally located and near all the tourist attractions Cape Town has to offer.

My room was large and luxurious. The beds were one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. The large flat screen TV and coffee machine were also impressive.

Breakfast was pleasant offering a full hot and cold buffet as well as items off the menu.

Get not have time to make use of the pool or gym and spa facilities but they looked fabulous.

Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Keyur,

Thank you kindly for your great review of the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear of your enjoyable stay and thrilled to receive such positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back for yet another ‘excellent stay’ and comfortable sleep.

West Berkshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Very helpful staff, comfortable rooms, great showers. Useful free shuttle to waterfront and Camps Bay satellite site. Good restaurant food. Pool is a frustrating novelty feature, good sauna and gym looking out to table mountain. BUT and it is a big 'but', all of this is cancelled out by the Thursday to Saturday NOISE UNTIL 3.00am. Fellow guests on all corners of the hotel were affected and just would not book again because of this. A shame because other factors were mostly very good. I do question how it got a 5 star rating as the breakfast arrangements, house keeping and lift capabilities, for instance, were well below the standard of the 4star that we also stayed in.

Room Tip: If you are there from Sunday to Wednesday a Table Mountain view room is a bonus. Other days of the w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pepper_Club_PR, Public Relations Manager at Pepperclub Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the Pepperclub Hotel and Spa on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is appreciated.

We are pleased to hear that you thought highly of the staff, the bedrooms and the facilities the hotel has to offer.

Apologies regarding the noise you experienced from surrounding areas. Unfortunately, due to being a city centre hotel, we are faced with noise issues from time to time. However, I would like to assure you that we do our utmost to try to contain the noise levels. We are in constant touch with the local authorities in order to manage the noise level and to ensure that the noise level is kept down to an absolute minimum.

Please rest assured that your concern regarding breakfast and housekeeping have been raised to the relevant senior management and these issues are currently receiving the utmost attention.