“The Ultimate Holiday Home..”

Rockwell All Suite Hotel

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
There are newer reviews for Rockwell All Suite Hotel

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Everytime you enter the apartment there was s terrible smell of sewage !! The agent said this block has this problem as so many apartments stand empty the pipes dry out bit nothing we tried could get rid of it running water, bleach, etc, it made you feel sick .

Also only book on harbour side of building otherwise mountain view side is on Somerset road very very busy so be prepared to be up at 8am every morning with traffic noise and local gay pub thudding music dont finish till 2am 4am at weekends also there is 24 hour petrol station outside balcony with petrol stench wafting up if your on balcony.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had the worst nightmares during our stay at The Rockwell. We blame ourselves and our agent for ignoring the reviewer who warned that people are “rocked at the Rockwell.
As losing a valuable project camera by my college on fifth floor was not enough, our formal complaint was treated as if nothing at all happened. There was no formal approach from management after submitting our complaint. Being multilingual myself, I had to accompany my colleague as he launched his complaint about a camera stolen from his room on his fifth floor apartment. As we left reception were informed that management would speak to us about the incident the next day. The day arrived but no-one ever spoke to us about the incident. We waited, and waited for quite a number of days. Having to wait for nearly two weeks for a hotel management to attend to us about theft by, obviously, one or more of their staff members was the more disgusting than the theft itself. It was until the second week that we decided to follow up. We approached a nice gentleman, Wander who was mostly seen at night. The gentleman handled our colleague’s ‘complaint about a complaint” very professionally. He listened. He apologized profusely on behalf of the hotel several times. He promised that he would make sure at least one manager spoke to us the first thing the next morning.
Unfortunately, we had such a busy schedule the next day that we left the hotel very early and therefore could not avail ourselves for the hotel management. We were, however, relieved on our return to find Jean, a very humble gentleman waiting to listen to both of our complaints. The second unbelievable nightmare was when we requested for a few beers and wine bottle one morning. We had requested for such stuff before and got them without conditions. I made a phone call to reception from a friend’s apartment. Coincidentally, Wander was at the reception that morning. He recognized my voice and quickly checked with me if any of the managers had contacted us about the stolen camera. I was humbled by that question and I confirmed to him that Jean and another lady manager had spoken to us. I then requested for a wine bottle and a few beers. I was promised a callback as he was to speak to Rene, first. We were surprised to hear that according to Rene,the Restaurant Manager, we could not be served with beer at that time of the day. I then asked If Wanda could not help me by speaking to Rene if I tipped him with R500.00. I was shocked to hear him blatantly declare that if he were to successfully speak to René he wanted NO payment, whatsoever. " i dont help you for money but as one of our special guests", I vividly remember him saying. I quickly cut the conversation short as I noticed that I was speaking to an incorruptibly principled gentleman. I pretended as if I were joking. I asked for a transfer to Rene’s extension who made it clear that she could not "just open" the bar outside licensed hours. I understood her tone and language that she would not do me a “favor for nothing and asked if I could get the alcohol if offered a R1000 tip to which she agreed and promised to send 6 Windhoek bottles and a bottle of red wine. I commended her for knowing our favorite wine albeit sarcastically. Within two minutes of conclusion of the “deal’ we were served in our colleague’s room on 5th floor, with alcohol worth R225 for which I forked out R1225-00. Being a Sunday morning, we had our female visitors as usual and we needed beer; but to pay six times more a price to a hotel worker was unthinkable, more-so to a manager. I later came down to share my experience with Wander but I was told he had knocked off having worked a night shift. That was the first day in my life to come face to face with gangster type of greed and corruption wrapped in an extortionist smile. Before then, I always read about it in newspapers. I am back in Cape Town for a short business trip but my budget does not allow for a repeat of my August experience. I am staying at another hotel a few hundred meters away and am not yet annoyed. A score of 2 presents a fair balance of my experiences.
The looks of the hotel are great though!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay which turned into a 4 night one... It was supposed to be Spring, but ended up being full blown winter weather! David was kind enough to drive us 20 mins away to do coat shopping! The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated, the balcony was massive, the kitchen layout great and the washer and dryer was a very helpful and pleasant surprize! There are a lot of amazing restaurants around, the Spar situated in the Cape Quarter behind the hotel is the best I've been in, and for every other after hour emergency the BP gas station with PNP Mini-Market is right there! If morning java is important to you, there is a Vida E Cafe just down the street. The V&A Waterfront is walking distance from the hotel, but a cab costs around $5, which the hotel gets for you. Any advice on restaurants, sight-seeing or any other topic is not too much to ask of the staff. They even make table reservations on your behalf. The Wifi was a bit tricky to get going on our iPads at first, but after that it was working fine. The fully equipped kitchen was a great thing to have, since we grow tired of restaurant food 24/7. All in all? A wonderful hotel, great staff, superb location and a winning recipe!!! Cannot wait for the next stay!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Terri L, Online Marketing at Rockwell All Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Hi LunaLii,

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback. We always strive to give our guests the best experience and we are grateful for the positive feedback.

Regards,
The Rockwell team.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I was worried based in some of the negative reviews I read here but have to say my friends and I were very pleased with our suite. We were three and had a large two bedroom with great views of table mountain from our balcony. The apartment had everything we needed and other than a slightly strange smell at first (which receded) it was spotless and well furnished.

Very close to V&A waterfront, Long street and easy access to nearby restaurants. Would serve as a great base for a family or group traveling to Cape Town for several days. And you can't beat the price difference compared to other hotels.

Definitely recommend.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed on business, booked penthouse arrived but room had been drowned so we were downgraded.We got a full refund but frankly was not what we wanted. Room cold, thin duvet, awful dinner, no hairdryer - when we asked for one we received a broken one that did not work and so it went on...So all in all do not recommend

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BWHJhb
Reviewed June 4, 2012

rockwell was great for our family of four and allowed us the freedom of selfcontained kitchen cooking. Wifi was excellent. rooms were comfortable and clean. Concierge service was exceptional. they have a service to drop you at the V and A which is very handy and we enjoyed a walk home to our apartment after a day of sight seeing. great restaurants nearby too.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family