Good and bad to say about this hotel.
Lovely building in an exciting part of Cape Town. Away from the touristy waterfront. Lovely restaurants in the area and different shopping experience to the waterfront.
Some staff were amazingly friendly but the reception staff were off the worst I have ever experienced in a five star hotel. They were icily courteous and obstructive rather than facilitative to any requests that we made.
We stayed at the Taj for 4 nights having booked a good deal through ebookers. The public spaces are well appointed, the pool is in-doors but nice to have a few laps in, the gym does what it says on the tin and the restaurants are very good. Breakfast has all the standard fare and efficient staff.
We were assigned a "luxury" city view room - see photos. The room was luxuriously appointed and spacious but the view was the back of a concrete tower block with a hint of blue sky if you crooked your neck in the far corner of the balcony. Also a noisy air conditioning unit below. We complained about the room and were told the hotel was full - maybe tomorrow something would be free. We were also told "this is the room you booked" and it was inferred to us that because we booked through a broker you get a less desirable room. The next morning at reception we were told we could get another city view but the view wasn't guaranteed, so we asked for an upgrade to a mountain view. We were told this would be R1000 and thrice checked if this was per night or for the three remaining nights - we were told the 3 remaining nights. That room had a better view but was still interior to the mountain view we had expected. The worst was being charged at check-out R1000 per night and having to argue this with reception as "you must have mis-heard". Having looked at the hotel's website since our return to the UK and checking availability over various dates during the next few months the biggest differential I can find between the city and mountain view is R400 and at times even less! Why they decided to try and charge R1000 on the day beggars belief. This bill was also automatically taken from my credit card with no discussion or checking on my part! They also charge a return airport trip despite telling them three times we only wanted a one-way trip.
The redeeming feature was the staff - Faith at breakfast was the nicest and bubbliest person to start the day with and seemed generally interested in her customers. She is an asset to the hotel and I can see her going places - I hope she gets headhunted for a bigger and brighter post. The door staff were generally nice and friendly, the cleaning staff efficient and quick but oh dear, let's not dwell on the reception team.
I would stay here again but make sure to book a mountain view room to guarantee a view of something other than a office block. Also I might avoid booking through a broker and the hotel seems to treat this group with a different attitude and as second class citizens.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, DerbySoftTaj, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa