“Good hotel in city center”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good hotel in city center”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Taj is a good option for those in the need to stay on Cape city center, because as a tourist is better to stay close to the waterfront.
The only thing that we didn't like much is the surroundings (not so safe to walk at night), however you can take a taxi easily.
Breakfast superior, efficient room service and helpful concierge.

Room Tip: Room with view to Table Mountain is very beautifull
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midrand, South Africa
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Thank you for a lovely stay Taj, Cape Town. We stayed in room 805, and it was heavenly. i requested a dvd player from management & was pleasantly presented with one. The only negative comment i have, is that the pillows are way to soft or too empty.
Nevertheless, i will love to stay at this hotel whenever i'm in the Cape.

Room Tip: one bedroom suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The room was ready and waiting when I checked in (admittedly later in the evening) and top of the line in comfort (only the second hotel I have ever stayed in that had a pillow menu). Staff was very friendly and helpful every time I needed help with anything. The hotel bar was classy and full of history. The breakfast restaurant and food were amazing. I had no complaints at all. The hotel is across the street from one of the largest and most beautiful churches in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My stay was only for a night as i only wanted to check the Hotel out. I moved from the Southern Sun Cullinan and was plesantly surprised with a upgrade to a Tata suite 1606.
The staff were very friendly and helpfull. Check in and check out was smooth and i did not face any problems here.
The room was very spacious and clean. The view of the Mountain from 1606 was amazing.
The room had its own balcany with good view.
The concierge were very helpfull and ever ready to help.
Free Wifi worked absolutely fine
Breakfast had a Mix and also had 2 indian dishes.
Business centre : use of internet in the business centre is charged(not high).

I did not use the Bar and the restaurants as i was out most of the time.

Tips . Ask for rooms with Mountain view.
inform the front desk in advance about your check out time.
Waterfont by taxi is 40-50R and the concierge will get u a taxi in no time.

The down side as rightly pointed by another reviewer is that it has no Pvt space in front of the Hotel. This actually does not bother me as i had no intention to use that space :).

In short i liked the Hotel and their service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed for business in Feb/march 2013. I had no choice this was the ONLY hotel that availability for our party of 8. I really want to like this hotel, I tried. However....
On arrival a lot of people checking out were complaining. I had to wait for around 4 hours for my room. This was not a problem as we arrived early. The hotel eventually gave me a log on code for the wifi although one member of my party was told NO they had to have a room allocation before they could log on. Once in my room, I found it did not have a mountain view which I had booked, there were a pile of cigarette ends on the balcony and I had a view of the building opposite. Not ideal. I complained and I was told that I could move tomorrow. This was fine. When I got to my first room after waiting for so long I had to call and ask for my luggage, when it was bought to the room only one piece not two arrived. Day 2: I was out all day from 6am. I had arranged with the hotel that as long as I packed the staff would move me whilst I was out during the day. When I arrived back this had not happened and the porter and I moved all of my luggage. Room 2: Rom 1009. This was a great room. Huge with a vast living /dining area, balcony, separate bedroom, walk-in wardrobe, and bathroom with picture window looking out onto the bedroom and table mountain. the bedroom also had a balcony. I really can not fault the room, it was wonderful with a great great view. The room had a nespresso machine, if I see hotels with nespresso machines in room, I am far more likely to book without question (sad but true), Capsules were provided but mostly decaf. I asked the maid for anything BUT decaf and on return to my room found a pile of decaf. After 3 days of complaining and asking, I was informed that they had run out of caffeinated coffee. Had I known this from the beginning I would have accepted the fact! They eventually did send up caffeinated coffee. Business centre. I needed to print something out during my stay. I called the front desk and they directed me to the business centre.... this would have been fine but it was like a ghost town with no service at all. It took 30 mins for me to find someone to print one page. The oft: I understand the need for security, however the lift was most annoying. You can only access the floor that your room is on. This is via a system of suing your room key in the lift. As my part of 8 were all on different rooms we had to meet in reception and then travel together if we needed to have a meeting. Quite infuriating.
The season I have mixed feelings about the hotel is that it is not a bad hotel. I want to like it. Its great value for money right in the centre of town and if you get a room with a view its fabulous. The bar and staff are painfully slow, but I need to remind myself that this is south Africa and this is often the case. You don't get speedier service at the Mount Nelson. The main downside is that there is NO outside space, which is such a shame. The Mint restaurant has a patch outside but its not great. There is no outdoor pool and from what I was told the lap pool is very very small and overlooked by the gym. Sadly I didn't have time to use it anyway so this wasn't a problem. it would have been nice to have the option though.
It was my birthday whilst I was away, my husband had been speaking to the concierge and arranged for flowers in my room. (i was a bit surprised they managed to arrange it for him) A huge thank you to all at the concierge for arranging that and for the birthday cake with happy birthday on it in my room.
The staff were all professional and really did try. I have no real complaints about the staff.
The long and short of it. I would stay at this hotel again, but would try others first.

Room Tip: 1009 - great view and lovely suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KateALondon
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were booked into the Taj Hotel in Cape Town before joining a cruise ship.The main part of the building is the old South African Reserve Bank therefore the main reception rooms have magnificent ceilings with tiled floors, a living piece of history.
We would recommend the Bombay Brasserie, wonderful Indian food with a South African passion for their wines.The atmosphere is quiet but warm and relaxing.The main dining room is very minimalist but good ,the food is excellent with many European dishes.
Our bedroom was very comfortable and our large windows stared out at Table Mountain and the Government Parliament.
Staff are very attentive, perhaps too many. ( I am able to press the lift button myself )
A good address to tour the centre but a good walk to the waterfront.
We were very concerned about stories of low level crime and this did limit our exploring but we felt no concerns about our safety during the day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Noida, India
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I chose Taj capetown to experience classic indian hospitality on my business trip to SA. But right from the time of check-in, there were spoilers. I had a confirmed reservation with early check-in at 1 pm. But when I arrived my room wasnt ready - I had to wait for ~1 hr before I could get into my room. Then the view from the room was really bad. i never really pulled up the drapes after the first sight.

They do however have a very good spa and the location is quite convenient too.

I hold the Taj hotels to a very high bar that is commensurate to their brand and reputation and any exceptions are spoliers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business