“lovely property & amazing view :-)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #16 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“lovely property & amazing view :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

we are a family of 4 and we stayed in Taj Capetown for 3 nighst during our travel to South Africa. i understand that the hotel was actually the office of the governing central bank of south africa till Taj took over the property. it is right opposite to one of the most famous Cathedrals in South Africa ( understand that Fr Tutu used to be here )

Our check in process was smooth and we were issued a WIFI password at the counter. I requested for a additional one due to multiple users and they were happy to issue it. NIce start was my feeling

We woke up very early and dropped into the Cathedral for a view and morning prayers .. we are Hindu's but am sure God does not mind the alternate route of prayer :-) .. was a nice experience. We followed it up with some fantastic indian breakfast & noteworthy coffee ... the Jam was special and i did mention this to the service staff ( it was my pleasant surprise that on my last day they gifted me a large box of the Jam which is made in house by them :-) :-) ... I just loved the gesture and am much obliged for the love that they showered on us in this trip

the lobby, bar etc is worth a few hours of quite sitting and reading and if you are a early riser you will just fall flat for the table mountain view from the doorway !!!

Behind this hotel is the Green MArket wherein African artifacts is sold .. the market is quite cheap and stuff is good. You can negotiate and if buying in a group you can get upto 30% discount. The eateries and coffee joints herein are also quite good for hanging out . But market closes early and so do hit by 4-5 Pm

We were also given a small ride in the Jaguar car that the HOtel has .. it was a nice experience ! the rooms were quite nice, bathroom was good & had excellent toiletries, room service was fast & efficient and overall atmosphere was good

Room Tip: HIgher floor rooms give a good view and so try & get one
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sai_Giridhar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

we stayed at the beautiful Taj Hotel Cape Town after spending time working at a girls school in Tanzania. The pampering was much needed and the Taj was the excellent place for us. Beautifully appointed suite, excellent breakfast in the Taj Club and the staff was very helpful. The butlers and concierge took very good care of us.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of Table Mountain are lovely
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Knowlton, Québec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

7 nights stay at Cape Town Taj, on Club Floor, was almost perfect! From airport pickup transfer to airport return. Check-in was fast and was taking care while the butler took care of us. The suite was vast and comfortable. The butlers were amazing and very helpfull with every demands and needs. If you go and reserve on club floor i wish you will meet with McLeod wich was just great and professionnal. You will be treated as a VIP guest. One IMPORTANT Thing to keep in mind though. Internet sucks! Sorry to be rude but this is unfortunatly true. It is incredible for that high level hotel they cant have a proper internet connection or WiFi... they also charge you after 30 minutes!!! That's cheap! I suggest you get a SIM Card and run your WiFi on your own. I would defenitly stay again at Cape Town Taj. In few months ill plan Mubai Taj. Hope i won`t be desapointed.

Room Tip: There is no buffet at the Club Lounge. You have to order your drinks and food... may be annoying whe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Now, I would like to start by apologising to Mr DJ from the USA, Vice President of some American mining company, for the mix up at the reception of the Taj Hotel, Cape Town.

I suspect a case of confusion and mis-identification. I suspect that they mistook Middle Man (also Mr DJ, VP of some American company (albeit not a mining company, and an Englishman to boot) for the former. At least, they asked me to confirm his check-in details before I realised and corrected their mistake.

Too late. By this time they had already sent the manager to greet me and introduce himself – “welcome Mr Dave” – served me with freshly squeezed juice, and, delighted me with the news that I had been upgraded to the Presidential Suite. I suspect, that they thought they had been talking to the other Mr Dave but were embarrassed and felt honour-bound to go through with this promise even after I had pointed out their error.

And so, I was escorted by a smiley man to the 16th floor to, OMG, the most fabulous suite of rooms I have ever seen outside of a stately home or royal palace.

I kid you not. Even smiley man was impressed. It was his first time in El Prez’s and he asked if he could look around himself. He was like a kid in a sweet shop. We explored the rooms together – it took quite a while. “Oh, Mr Dave, what a shame you are here so late and for such little time”.

For sure, but I was so impressed I phoned C straight away and gave her a walking commentary. She was well jel. She would have loved it. She made me promise that if a nice smiley lady knocked on the door asking me if I wanted anything that I would decline. I promised!

I had a dining room which sat ten people; a huge lounge; a kitchen complete with a full-sized fridge freezer, filled with goodies (a maxi-bar so to speak); a huge, huge bedroom; an amazing bathroom with a bath that could have held four people and a walk in double (two-person) shower with access through the other side to a spa treatment room; and, upstairs, a separate office area and a personal gym area with a treadmill therein. And I was the king of plasma! And i could have my number ones and twos in separate toilets….

Outside there was a balcony with an outside dining area with spectacular views over the night scape of Cape Town. I even had a bloody telescope through which to better appreciate the view……

I had complimentary nuts and a bowl of fruit that would be the high point of any Christmas raffle, and a very nice bottle of wine.

OMG! Unfortunately, I had arrived at nine thirty at night, exhausted after a couple of days travelling (from the UK, to Johannesburg and on to Cape Town) with a busy work schedule in between. It was kind of wasted on me. All I wanted was to iron my shirt ready for the morning, a glass of wine, a bath, and a good night’s sleep.

But even in Paradise……..

Even presidents don’t get everything they ask for.

My first problem was ironing my shirt. Despite the fact that I had a walk-in dressing room the size of our spare bedroom (did I forget to mention that), I could not find an iron or ironing board. Clearly, presidents normally have people to do that kind of thing. So, I had to phone housekeeping and ask for an iron to be brought up. “Yes sir, Mr Dave”.

so, I thought I’d have a glass of the nice free South African red while I was waiting. Second problem. I couldn’t find a corkscrew for love nor money. I checked every drawer and cupboard looking for the damn thing. It took forever, there were a lot of drawers and cupboards in the place. In the end I had to admit to defeat and phone down to reception and ask for a corkscrew to be delivered. “Yes sir, Mr Dave”.

The doorbell rang and it was a nice smiley lady with an iron. She didn’t offer any extras but she did insist on walking through to the walk-in dressing area and setting the iron up for me. She left with a smiley “thank you Mr Dave”.

The doorbell rang. Frankly, I was getting a little fatigued with all the walking around this huge space. It was another nice smiley man with a corkscrew. He insisted on walking through to the kitchen and opening it for me. He left with a smiley “thank you Mr Dave”.

I think I had finally worked out that the staff had been hiding things that I might need as an excuse to visit the Presidential Suite to check out who was staying there!

I could not sleep yet. I then had to spend the next thirty minutes or so contacting my credit card companies to make sure that my cards had not been skimmed – I had received a strange email, purporting to be from an Australian website, confirming my order for the value of 450 in an unspecified currency. When I rang the contact us number on the helpline it went through to Beijing. Very suspicious. But, the card companies assured me that everything was ok.

And so, finally, I was able to sink into my huge bath with my view of Cape Town, with a glass of red and a bunch of grapes. ……

The bath was mad. The tap was in the ceiling!! Water poured down from on high. And, it was quite a struggle to climb in and out to be honest. But, it was hot and full of relaxing Molton Brown bubbles. And, relax I did…..and, so to bed.

It took me a good twenty minutes or so to go round turning all the lights off in the various rooms. But, I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and slept the sleep of an innocent right through until the alarm went off. And, I awoke to stunning views of Cape Town and the beautiful Table Mountain.

It was a beautiful room, and together with the wonderful smiley and attentive staff I was, indeed, made to feel, presidential. I couldn’t help wondering where the real / other VP DJ had spent the evening……”thank you Mr Dave”.. Perhaps I should try to find a job in mining……..

Thank you everyone at the Taj for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very nice but loud rooms mix with the world’s most incompetent staff/service.

My stay in bullet points:

1. Receptionist was so lost trying to find another booking my check-in took over 12 minutes despite 6 staffers watching me wait at 10:40pm after a 37 hour trip which I mentioned.

2. After check in tried to have drinks at main bar, my issues:

a. First drink a South African brandy took 6 minutes to pour I was sitting at bar, yet; 4 staffers had other things to do (nothing).
b. Second drink took another 8 minutes to pour despite asking bartender to keep bottle nearby. Sadly, it was discovered bottle had only 1 more drink in it. Bartender told me the Taj Hotel had no more brandy. I informed him this was below franchise standards. He failed to reply. I told him how ridiculous it was to charge $600 for a room but not stock $20 bottles of brandy. Bartender now smiled. I asked for a manager, so he agreed to look for more brandy. About 7 minutes later he poured another from another bottle.
c. Third drink, poured but measured wrong, he spilled half beside my glass and proceed to add ice to my guest’s glass despite not asking for ice.
d. Fourth drink, no more brandy again. Bartender asks me to speak to the manager on duty. While I do bartender takes my beer and remaining brandy away. After a troubling long time manager finds more brandy and replaces my drinks.
e. My group expands and we order more. First round took 10 minutes to pour despite 4 staff.
f. Group members asks for food menu, 20 minutes later its delivered.
g. All new drink orders, all, are wrong. They are all the same drinks but made wrong as waiter is confused by meaning of “ice cubes”.
h. Waiter advises bar closed.
i. Waiter then says bar is actually open just some staff leaving. We are baffled.
j. Some group members order hamburgers.
k. Hamburgers arrived 50 minutes later. No ketchup, napkins, silverware or condiments offered. They were awful, like leather.
l. After 6 requests about a spoonful of ketchup is brought to 4 guests.
m. After 2 more requests another spoonful of ketchup is brought and 10 small jars of mayonnaise.
n. A full complement of napkins and partial of silverware took longer to arrive than eating the food despite 6-10 requests.

3. Next day. Asking for coke at bar. Coke is behind bar yet delivery takes 5 minutes while bartender has nothing else to do.

4. Ask for espresso. Machine is at bar. Delivery takes 7 minutes. Bartender has no other clients.

5. Ask for water at bar and informed all bottles are kept warm. (note to the dumb staff its summer)

6. Ask for coffee at breakfast but after 3 requests it did not arrive.
Avoid the concierge because they cannot provide useful information at all or answer simple questions. They only service we got from them was an airport transfer thankfully that worked out ok.

In summary, nothing works the way it should at the Taj. The rooms represent a 5 star standard, though most are quite noisy and 1 had maintenance issues, but the staff are beyond stupid. They are dumfounded by simple requests, take inordinate amounts time to do anything, cannot think by themselves (if at all) and utterly fail to meet franchise standards.

I raised my experience with a British manager, who assigned a gent to watch out and look after me but nothing much improved. If I was a manager and heard this story impacting some 6 rooms and 9 guests I would have at least made a gesture, perhaps a round of drinks or taking care of the bill, obviously the Taj is not the Ritz Carlton or concerned by this. I guess at the Taj the old adage “this is Africa” is more the motto.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank FlyOneWorld
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Valued guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointing experience with us. We sincerely regret that we failed to live up to your expectations on your recent visit, as we truly aspire to providing an exceptional Hotel experience to all our guests. I have personally investigated all your comments with all those involved and assure you that corrective actions taken.

Whilst you are totally entitled to your opinions and comments, which we take in a positive manner, we do not appreciate or accept your crude references to “dumb” and “beyond stupid” staff. It is very sad for this to be your way of describing our very warm and friendly team of local staff, please reference the very very many positive tripadvisor comments on my team.

Kind regards
Michael Pownall
Ballitoville, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My partner and I love staying the Taj, you can always relax in the Gym and Spa with hardly any people bothering you.

The best thing about the Taj is the mountain facing rooms the view is absolutely breathtaking and the service you receive from all the staff is genuine!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple