we are a family of 4 and we stayed in Taj Capetown for 3 nighst during our travel to South Africa. i understand that the hotel was actually the office of the governing central bank of south africa till Taj took over the property. it is right opposite to one of the most famous Cathedrals in South Africa ( understand that Fr Tutu used to be here )
Our check in process was smooth and we were issued a WIFI password at the counter. I requested for a additional one due to multiple users and they were happy to issue it. NIce start was my feeling
We woke up very early and dropped into the Cathedral for a view and morning prayers .. we are Hindu's but am sure God does not mind the alternate route of prayer :-) .. was a nice experience. We followed it up with some fantastic indian breakfast & noteworthy coffee ... the Jam was special and i did mention this to the service staff ( it was my pleasant surprise that on my last day they gifted me a large box of the Jam which is made in house by them :-) :-) ... I just loved the gesture and am much obliged for the love that they showered on us in this trip
the lobby, bar etc is worth a few hours of quite sitting and reading and if you are a early riser you will just fall flat for the table mountain view from the doorway !!!
Behind this hotel is the Green MArket wherein African artifacts is sold .. the market is quite cheap and stuff is good. You can negotiate and if buying in a group you can get upto 30% discount. The eateries and coffee joints herein are also quite good for hanging out . But market closes early and so do hit by 4-5 Pm
We were also given a small ride in the Jaguar car that the HOtel has .. it was a nice experience ! the rooms were quite nice, bathroom was good & had excellent toiletries, room service was fast & efficient and overall atmosphere was good
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa