“This COULD be a great hotel”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #16 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Taj has great bone structure. Rooms are huge and well appointed. Bathrooms are impressive, the dining spaces all feel modern and well cared for and it's well located.

BUT....

There's a disorder amongst the opulence that really rankles. They give you 30 mins of internet free. 30 mins. Add it to the room rate and give it to me free guys.

Worse, on the day that we were there the system wasn't working, we called down and were instructed to head out of the door, to the left, down the road some and to the bar in order to get free wi-fi.

"But it's 10 o'clock, we have a baby asleep and my wife isn't all that comfortable sitting in a bar, alone, at night while I babysit" I said (reasonably I thought)

"It's all we can do"

Add to this the fact that our room was never in the phone system - so ordering room service (dry, expensive, bland Indian food) meant three calls and before finally the front desk handled it, ditto valet (really well handled) and us giving up on the spa altogether.

So yeah, a lovely building let down by systems that fail and a staff ill equipped to deal with failure. All minor niggles but the building promised so much

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve W

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife & I stayed at the Taj from 15 till 17 Decemcer.2012. On arrival we were met at the door, out luggage offloaded & our car was parked at no extra cost. We were escorted to our room, which was above the standard of normal hotel rooms.In our room we were welcomed to drinks and a basket of fruit.We had dinner at the Bombay Brasserie where we had sumptuous Indian food. At night we made use of the pool area & gym. After a restfully night we had a wonderful.breakfast in other dining room. We went for a walk to a nearby market. Many of the shops were open along the nearby St Georges Mall. Later in the day we used the tourist Bed Bus to explore sights in Cape Town. We skipped lunch after the heavy breakfast & had alight lunch at a nearby pizza parlour. Then back to the lhotel.

Room Tip: We had a inside room. We would recommend getting a mountain facing room the looks across at Table Mo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Centrally situated. Helpful staff. Restaurant opens into the flee market street which makes for great ambiance for breakfast.
We stayed for a couple of days and weren't in hotel during most of our stay, but enjoyed it nevertheless.
Indian chicken curry is a must order! Also try the awesome indian style 'masala dosa' for breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel recently when I was in Cape Town for a wedding. I opted against using the hotel shuttle which at more than R500 a trip is way too overpriced. I was welcomed very nicely by the staff at reception and then promptly taken to my room. I had dinner at the downstairs Mint restaurant which served a great, authentic chicken curry. I asked the concierge desk to arrange a taxi to Long Street, which is really close by, but I would not recommend you walk alone at night. This too was done promptly. The rooms were nice and comfortable - nothing that blew me away though.
I thought the staff were really great and everything, well, works. However I was not blown away by the overall aesthetics of the hotel, which I was hoping I would be. The city room just faces other buildings and has in fact no view, but have to say, that did not bother me that much.
The location is extremely central - I even went to a little market that they had in the nearby park which was lovely on a Saturday morning.
Overall a good stay and I would come back.

Room Tip: If you can swing a mountain facing room, that would be great, as the City view just faces other buil...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

With only 2 days in Cape Town, we chose to stay in the center of town. This hotel was luxurious, clean and very comfortable. It was very easy and inexpensive to take a taxi to the waterfront and table mountain.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had given up hoping for perfection at any South African hotel. The Taj has given me hope.

We needed to check in a little earlier and were told to come on over. We were served a welcome drink upon arrival.

Check-in was a breeze.

We were shown around the hotel which was a nice touch.

Our room was on the 17th floor and being on the corner, we had stunning views of Table Mountain and Lions head and could see as far as the waterfront.

The room was large and spotless and the bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable.

They offer complimentary water and we received a bowl of fruit and chocolate (lovely touch and appreciated)

High tea was lovely. Nice selection, excellent quality and great service from Beverly.

Room service was on the ball. We received our ice within 5 minutes and our meal within the advertised 20 to 25 minutes.

Honey and butternut soup was delicious!

Turn-down service was lovely.

Breakfast had a good selection and again very good quality.

They offer a car valet service and parking is free - very nice service.

We were 100% happy with the service and our stay in general. We will definitely be back.

Thanks!

Room Tip: High room with a mountain view is stunning.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Firstly let me say that the people who work at this hotel are extremely nice… but, I was hugely disappointed with my stay. For a hotel which is featured in the “leading hotels of the world” brochure (and is priced accordingly) I am surprised at the number of issues I had.

e.g. they claimed to have no record of my payment made before my stay (£1,000), the car was late to pick me up from the airport (if it wasn’t so expensive I wouldn’t of cared), the ‘complimentary’ tea and coffee was never restocked for the week I was there and often items were missing from the room (e.g. towels), I was called twice at 0700am for an airport transfer on the wrong day then asked to explain why I didn’t want it (because I’d booked it for the 6th… NOT the 3rd) THEN I was charged £52 for this! I was also told to email the hotel reservations on more than 3 occasions to sort out my bill and book into the hotel restaurant – as there isn’t free internet at the hotel I find this rather cheeky.

Also – “city view room” meant I got a view directly into another high rise.

Room Tip: I was in 803 - eight floor at the back. it was noisy and i looked directly into another high rise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kellyrichardson
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Ms Richardson

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor, it is only through detailed feedback like your own that we, being a relatively new hotel, measure and improve our performance.

Please accept our apologies for the inconsistencies you experienced with regards to service levels during your stay with us. All details have been addressed with the relevant departmental teams involved. We truly aspire to provide an exceptional Hotel experience to all our guests.

Whilst we appreciate that an apology may not restore your total confidence in the entire offering at Taj Cape Town, when planning your next trip I invite you to contact either my personal assistant Trish Humby, or myself, to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf, and I will personally ensure that your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

We certainly hope that you we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future

Best Regards