The Taj has great bone structure. Rooms are huge and well appointed. Bathrooms are impressive, the dining spaces all feel modern and well cared for and it's well located.
There's a disorder amongst the opulence that really rankles. They give you 30 mins of internet free. 30 mins. Add it to the room rate and give it to me free guys.
Worse, on the day that we were there the system wasn't working, we called down and were instructed to head out of the door, to the left, down the road some and to the bar in order to get free wi-fi.
"But it's 10 o'clock, we have a baby asleep and my wife isn't all that comfortable sitting in a bar, alone, at night while I babysit" I said (reasonably I thought)
"It's all we can do"
Add to this the fact that our room was never in the phone system - so ordering room service (dry, expensive, bland Indian food) meant three calls and before finally the front desk handled it, ditto valet (really well handled) and us giving up on the spa altogether.
So yeah, a lovely building let down by systems that fail and a staff ill equipped to deal with failure. All minor niggles but the building promised so much
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa