Our first stop in South Africa after a very long trip from the US was completely rewarding. The Taj is a beautiful hotel, with wonderful public spaces, very nicely appointed rooms with remarkable showers, and a perfectly accommodating staff. Particular compliments to the staff in Mint, the dining room in which the wonderful buffet breakfasts are served; to the concierge staff; and to the professional and informed drivers who will shuttle you around in the hotel's fleet of luxury vehicles. You can also arrange an airport pick-up, which is a very civilized way to start the trip.
The Taj is not in a main tourist area, but that also provides for a great deal of charm and relative tranquility. It does reside on St. George's Mall, which provides for a lot of local character, and is across the street from the entry to the gardens leading to many museums.
An overall great stay.
Also, if you're looking for a great tour guide, get in touch with Jeff Edison (email@example.com)--he took us on a trips to both the Cape of Good Hope and the Winelands, and was terrific.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Taj Cape Town welcomes guests to the vibrant heart of the one of the world's most scenic and desirable cities, Cape Town. The hotel is a combination of rich history and elegant contemporary architectures. Originally home of the South African Reserve Bank and Temple Chambers and later the Board of Executors (BOE), it successfully combines the heritage of the old with the luxury of the new - a 100 years in history! This luxury hotel is perfectly located in the centre of historic Cape Town at the entrance of the famous pedestrian precinct, St George's Mall. It's prime location ensures a blend of fascinating history, exotic culture, soulful art, lively entertainment and delectable cuisine. - Within walking distance to most tourist attractions, monuments, museums, shopping, restaurants, markets and nightlife. Adding to this grand yet welcoming atmosphere are the two dining experiences, the Indian fine dine specialty restaurant, Bombay Brasserie and Mint, a relaxed all-day dining restaurant. Both are warm and welcoming and serve outstanding cuisine. Alongside this you'll find wonderful Champagne and tapas bar known as The Twankey Bar which is exceedingly popular with both locals and guests alike. Rooms are located in both the heritage buildings and the contemporary tower wing, but all continue to seamlessly merge history and modernity. Luxury Rooms have spectacular city or breathtaking mountain views overlooking the famous Table Mountain and the Taj Club Rooms and suites offer all the benefits of the executive Club Lounge including butler service, evening canapes, cocktails and private breakfast. One and Two Bedroom Suites are also available, perfect for the discerning traveller or for families. The award winning Jiva Grande Spa is one of its kind in Africa with unique and authentic wellness treatments and experiences. Also on offer is complimentary use of all wet areas, heated pool, and a high tech gymnasium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, DerbySoftTaj, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Taj Cape Town South Africa