“Wonderful stay at the Taj”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #17 of 108 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful stay at the Taj”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Just got back from 4nts in Cape Town at the Taj. Upon arrival we were upgraded to an immense suite with additional sitting areas and very large tub and shower. The fixtures were all very high-end and room was cleaned thoroughly each day. Huge breakfast spread with combination of continental and hot choices + Indian dishes. Didn't eat at any of the other restaurants, so can't say anything about them. Did enjoy the exercise facilities and pool (indoor, no view) which was very refreshing.

Best part about the Taj was the location. Easy walk to Long Street and all major downtown tourist sites, with a quick cab to the VA waterfront or table mountain. I was a bit skeptical about the location, but I was totally mistaken and would love to stay at the Taj again.

Special call-out for the city guides that the Taj had available in the lobby each day. Helped us with hiking routes, city tour and general insights about Cape Town. The concierge was also very helpful with making reservations.

Only complaint would that that the handtowels were inconsistently restocked, sometimes only 1. But a very minor point on an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our stay at the Taj Hotel was wonderful! Our balcony view opened to St. George Church and Table Mountain, and it was breathtaking to see the clouds roll over Table Mountain to form the 'tablecloth'. The service provided by the concierges Themba and Ulanda was exceptional. The Jaguar sedan hotel car was a nice surprise, and we used it several times to go to the cable car and to Camps Bay. We would have used it more, but forgot to reserve the car for dinner. The breakfast buffet was large and fresh, with a nice variety of entrees, fruit, and breads, and all the food was good. The hotel is perfectly located in Cape Town for walking and seeing the sites. The spa sauna and hot tub were welcome after a long day of sight-seeing. There is limited free access to internet in room, but we could access more wifi in Twankey's Bar, located adjacent to and part of the Taj. The rooms were attended to twice daily, and kept spotlessly clean. I cannot recommend this hotel any higher - it was the best!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rxmom77
sydney, aus
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed at the Taj for 2 nights earlier this month and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading a few mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com but was pleasantly surprised. The staff were incredibly professional and welcoming.

We booked a superior room which was very pleasantly furnished and spotlessly clean. It wasn't huge but was well appointed and had a great bathroom. The hotel itself is in a fab location if you want to be in central Cape Town.

We booked a last minute room rate which was excellent value for money and included gym and pool access - both of which were impressive. Parking is in a neighbouring building - the staff warned we may have to wait up to 15 minutes for the valet to bring our car around but we never waited more than a couple of minutes.

My only issues - and they are small. The room was booked in my name but the staff insisted on calling me by my husband's surname (I haven't taken his name). This didn't really bother me but can imagine it might grate with others. Also, room rates only include 30 minutes of free wifi which is a bit ridiculous in this day and age.

Overall a great hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had never stayed in a Taj hotel before, and we were very impressed. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. Our window looked out to St. George's Cathedral and Table Mountain in the background. I could lay on the bed for hours and watch the clouds roll off the top of Table Mountain and fall down the side. It was absolutely stunning.

Service was nearly flawless, and the restaurants were delicious. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. The hotel staff were all very friendly and highly accommodating for us and for our kids (ages 7, 9, and 14).

I'm not sure how the few negative reviews posted here are justified. Sounds like some high-maintenance people who got their feathers ruffled by some minor things. I rate this one a solid 5 star!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dagwood777
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I frequently travel to Cape Town for business and always stay at the Westin. Because that was full, I was booked into the Taj and looked forward to staying in what is considered a more luxurious hotel.

I was underwhelmed. First, the check-in was not smooth. Immediately after leaving the desk, I could not access the elevator. When I went back to the desk, the woman treated me like a child, saying I wasn't using the card properly. When I insisted I was, she became more condescending. Another man, seeing the commotion, finally came to help me and discovered that my card had not been coded for the elevators. When I tried to use the internet that evening, it also did not work. As it turns out, the front desk had also failed to set that properly.

The rooms are on the smallish side and the desk, which faces out and has nice views at the Westin, faced inward here, which was depressing since I spent much of the day working in the room. Breakfast, a grand affair elsewhere, was small and quite limited in choice, although the muffins were very good. When I left for my appointments in the afternoon, I had to wait 10 minutes for the valet to retrieve my car because there is no self-parking. Ugh.

When I returned to my room that evening, I was greeted with thumping club music and a lot of street noise despite being on the 8th floor. In what can only be described as tasteless, the check out letter left on the final evening of my stay was placed upon the hotel book opened directly on the gratuities page.

If you are traveling to Cape Town on business, there are finer hotels in the area. If you are traveling for leisure, I would assume there are also better hotels in the area. The Taj is one you can skip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Kelli H
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Taj Cape Town and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was not what you or I would have wished for.

We receive many positive guest comments about our service; it is therefore disappointing that you did not have a similar experience during your stay. Your comments have been addressed with the relevant departmental teams involved and feedback like your own ensures that we measure and improve our performance.

I hope that this apology will go some way to restoring your confidence in our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Taj Cape Town in the not too distant future. If ever I may be of any assistance to you in Cape Town please contact me directly.

Kind Regards
Michael Pownall
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The Taj is a wonderful hotel. I spent 10 days at the Taj. The rooms are super clean and luxurious. The service is excellent and the staff was very friendly especially to my kid. I highly recommend to take a high floor to enjoy the beautiful view of Table mountain as the view from lower floors are blocked by surrounding buildings. The V&A Water front is 10min drive from the hotel. However, There is a complimentary transport to any place within 10 kil drive BUT you need to reserve well ahead as there is only one car at a time and it's limited to availability. They also offer complimentary laundry to kids' clothes under 3 years of age. The concierge service is excellent, so make sure to utilize them to plan and book your activities and tours. There are plenty to do around the hotel from beautiful African shops and variety restaurants as well as a wonderful park, museums, and a flower garden. There is an upscale Indian restaurant at the hotel but our experience there was average. Overall, I give the Taj Two thumbs up!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Aldabbagh44
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2012

All of the rooms are spacious, relaxing and beautifull.The bathroom is big and clean.The staff is polite and helpful.The location is great.The restaurant is also good.In my opinion the best hotel in capetown.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family