“One of the best hotels anywhere!”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“One of the best hotels anywhere!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had never stayed in a Taj hotel before, and we were very impressed. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. Our window looked out to St. George's Cathedral and Table Mountain in the background. I could lay on the bed for hours and watch the clouds roll off the top of Table Mountain and fall down the side. It was absolutely stunning.

Service was nearly flawless, and the restaurants were delicious. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. The hotel staff were all very friendly and highly accommodating for us and for our kids (ages 7, 9, and 14).

I'm not sure how the few negative reviews posted here are justified. Sounds like some high-maintenance people who got their feathers ruffled by some minor things. I rate this one a solid 5 star!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dagwood777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I frequently travel to Cape Town for business and always stay at the Westin. Because that was full, I was booked into the Taj and looked forward to staying in what is considered a more luxurious hotel.

I was underwhelmed. First, the check-in was not smooth. Immediately after leaving the desk, I could not access the elevator. When I went back to the desk, the woman treated me like a child, saying I wasn't using the card properly. When I insisted I was, she became more condescending. Another man, seeing the commotion, finally came to help me and discovered that my card had not been coded for the elevators. When I tried to use the internet that evening, it also did not work. As it turns out, the front desk had also failed to set that properly.

The rooms are on the smallish side and the desk, which faces out and has nice views at the Westin, faced inward here, which was depressing since I spent much of the day working in the room. Breakfast, a grand affair elsewhere, was small and quite limited in choice, although the muffins were very good. When I left for my appointments in the afternoon, I had to wait 10 minutes for the valet to retrieve my car because there is no self-parking. Ugh.

When I returned to my room that evening, I was greeted with thumping club music and a lot of street noise despite being on the 8th floor. In what can only be described as tasteless, the check out letter left on the final evening of my stay was placed upon the hotel book opened directly on the gratuities page.

If you are traveling to Cape Town on business, there are finer hotels in the area. If you are traveling for leisure, I would assume there are also better hotels in the area. The Taj is one you can skip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Kelli H
GeneralManagerTCT, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Taj Cape Town and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was not what you or I would have wished for.

We receive many positive guest comments about our service; it is therefore disappointing that you did not have a similar experience during your stay. Your comments have been addressed with the relevant departmental teams involved and feedback like your own ensures that we measure and improve our performance.

I hope that this apology will go some way to restoring your confidence in our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Taj Cape Town in the not too distant future. If ever I may be of any assistance to you in Cape Town please contact me directly.

Kind Regards
Michael Pownall
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The Taj is a wonderful hotel. I spent 10 days at the Taj. The rooms are super clean and luxurious. The service is excellent and the staff was very friendly especially to my kid. I highly recommend to take a high floor to enjoy the beautiful view of Table mountain as the view from lower floors are blocked by surrounding buildings. The V&A Water front is 10min drive from the hotel. However, There is a complimentary transport to any place within 10 kil drive BUT you need to reserve well ahead as there is only one car at a time and it's limited to availability. They also offer complimentary laundry to kids' clothes under 3 years of age. The concierge service is excellent, so make sure to utilize them to plan and book your activities and tours. There are plenty to do around the hotel from beautiful African shops and variety restaurants as well as a wonderful park, museums, and a flower garden. There is an upscale Indian restaurant at the hotel but our experience there was average. Overall, I give the Taj Two thumbs up!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Aldabbagh44
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2012

All of the rooms are spacious, relaxing and beautifull.The bathroom is big and clean.The staff is polite and helpful.The location is great.The restaurant is also good.In my opinion the best hotel in capetown.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Leeds
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I spent a total of four nights at the Taj in February and despite earlier hesitation as to whether staying in the CBD was a great idea, I decided to have a rather optimistic approach. As I had arrived during the running up to the opening of Parliament, there was quite a bit of activity around the hotel. Taj is a well...

Room Tip: higher floors better view of table mountain
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
johannesburg, south africa
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Taj is a well reputed brand, and it delivered all the best of service one could imagine at their Cape Town establishment. Arrive either by a stunning Jaguar XJ or hired car (free valet and parking) all you will be whisked away promptly to the intimate reception area. Here you are met by well-humored and genuinely friendly members of staff.

The hotel offered a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom suite. The suite is breath-taxingly gorgeous! It is massive, surely surpassing 100 square meters. The suite consists of a dining area, a very comfortable seating area in front of the bed, the incredibly comfortable king size bed, many stand alone, mirrored closets as well as the marble-clad bathrooms. The most stunning aspect of the suite is the glassed balcony overlooking the gorgeous St George's Mall. The atmosphere is relaxing. As I have been multiple times to Cape Town, I chose to just relax in the confines of the comfortable suite.

The location is ideal for business travel, however if you are a leisure traveler this should not mean that the Taj should not be considered. The V&A Waterfront is a mere 15 minutes away, the famous Long Street is not even a 3 minute stroll away- hosting a variety of amazing restaurants and nightlife.

The breakfast was somewhat of a disappointment in regard to variety. The Bombay Brasserie restaurant on the contrary, was superb.

The Taj is a beautiful and intimate establishment in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I would like to extend my thanks especially to the housekeeping team who had brought me a new pillow off of the menu each night as well as for the turn down services and treats. I was made to feel at home, easily!

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the new tower rather than the heritage building if you prefer a more modern soph...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
North Yorkshire, England
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our room was in the heritage wing on the 4th floor overlooking St Georges Mall - it was a quiet room although the view from outside the window was not particularly inspiring. The room provided every comfort we required with great air con control, bathroom facilities and comfortable bed. It is well situated in the heart of Cape Town. The hotel doesn't have a vast common / bar area and these are confined to the ground floor - it didn't bother us too much as we either spent time outside the hotel or in the room. This hotel should really be given 5 stars in this review but fails on service. Don't get me wrong everyone was polite and helpful and the consiege service is 1st class providing restaurant bookings, drop off by limousine and local knowledge but if fails on room replenishments - every day we had something missing be it the tea pot, cups, tea, wine glasses etc - it varied every day of our 8 day stay and the duty manager was unable to solve the problem despite trying hard.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple