“Good hotel in Cape Town Centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Strand Tower Hotel

Strand Tower Hotel
Ranked #49 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Staffordshire
“Good hotel in Cape Town Centre”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Good modern hotel in centre of Cape Town, which is probably better as a business option. Situated in an ok area but not ideal for Waterfront. The room was well equipped if a tiny bit jaded but was clean and fresh. The food was good but a little predictable and the service was good throughout our stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Staffsmartin
GeneralManagerSTH, General Manager at Strand Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Staffsmartin,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the service offered by the staff. We at the Strand Tower Hotel are dedicated to ensure you have a great stay.

Please make sure to stay with us during your next visit to Cape Town, as we love to give you excellent service.

Jerome van Helden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed 5 nights at the hotel in October - it was a very pleasant stay - room spacious, clean towels daily if you wanted them.excellent choice for breakfast and evening buffet. Staff friendly and efficient.
Situated in central location.
Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.
Annie Bray - Swansea UK

Room Tip: High floor facing Table Mountain - we watched the cable car go up and down the mountain!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annie B
GeneralManagerSTH, General Manager at Strand Tower Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Annie B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the Strand Tower Hotel! It gives me great pleasure that you had a very pleasant stay, and were very happy with the hotel. We always strive to exceed expectations and I am happy that we succeeded during your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Strand Tower Hotel the next time you visit Cape Town!

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel was ok for 1 night, but I'd probably not stay there again.

Staff was friendly.
Breakfast was quite good.
Room was comfortable enough.

I think what bothered me was the hidden costs:
- parking 65 rand per night (I paid 40 when I stayed at a 5star in the same area).
- tray fee 100 rand for room service (a bit insulting).
- internet was not for free (but I don't know the cost cause I didn't use it).

Service wasn't great either... we asked for a cork opener and it was quite difficult to get one, it took us 2 phone calls and a trip to the 2nd floor to open the bottle.

To sum up, the hotel wasn't terrible at all, but I'm inclined to believe there are better options in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BereAllan
GeneralManagerSTH, General Manager at Strand Tower Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear BereAllan,

It is great to read that you have taken the time to write a review about the hotel. It is great to read about your valuable feedback, as this will enable us to improve our product and services. Your comments have been discussed with the relevant managers, in order to ensure it doesn't happen again. Please do note that we offer free internet, with a limit of 100MB per day.

Please contact us again the next time you visit Cape Town, as we look forward to showing you that we take our guests' requests serious.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My stay was doing good, although I found some cleanliness problems (carpets and windows very dirty), until I knew the general manager Jerome [--]. He did not planned the hotel parking for the new year eve and I could not stop my car in the hotel parking (although I was a guest and was paying R65/day). Te staff suggested me to stop in the street, but I said NO because the car was not mine. The GM Jerome arrived and raised the voice saying that he didn't care if it was full or not, it was my problem. He send me to stop my car in a parking 3 blocks away, full of mouses and rats!
My experience was terrible because of the general manager. My opinion: his staff is much more prepared than him.
Victor Acquaviva

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Victor-Acquaviva
Dear Victor-Acquaviva,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.com about the Strand Tower Hotel. I am happy to hear that your stay was great, though I must say I am a bit offended for telling people I suck. As you and I both noticed, our parking was full at the time you wanted to park at the hotel, and we do not reserve any parking spaces for any of our guests. You then parked the car in front of the hotel and were blocking the entrance to the hotel and thereby inconveniencing all our guests. Eventually we were able to convince you to move the car. Therefore I would like to offer you my sincere gratitude for making use of the alternative parking one block away, a secure parking garage that we utilise when our parking is full, and as other guests in previous reviews have commended this option before, we believe this is a good alternative.

Thank you once again for all your comments and we look forward to your next visit in Cape Town!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Within the first 2 hours of arriving at the hotel, my car was broken into in the hotels "secure" paid for parking. Naturally the hotel accepts no liability, eventhough you pay for the secure parking at r65 per day. This was a service we paid for but most certainly did not receive, which i feel is highly unethical and just plain bad bussiness. The manager did make an attempt to look into the situation, but as the cctv system is woefully inadequate, nothing constructive resulted from that excercise in futlity.

Apart from that disturbing incident, the hotels facilities and services were adequate and well managed. It is just the guest security that requires improvements on a monumental scale.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brian e
GeneralManagerSTH, General Manager at Strand Tower Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear brian e,

firstly I would like to thank you for your review on tripadvisor. Regarding the incident you had at the hotel, we are looking in to the matter, and strive to continuously update our product and services. We have since updated our procedures to ensure that these situations do not happen again.

Despite the incident, I am very happy to learn that you had a satisfying stay.

Please contact us for your next visit to Cape Town.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful staff. Great pool and bar area to relax in (deck chairs however too little). Centrally located to most activities in Cape Town. Children play area could use a bit of a touch up - jumping castle not fully functional, pool cues have no tips, otherwise great to entertain the kids. Rooms are very small, especially for a family of four.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Robert G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel! Regarding the comments you have made about the play area, we continuously try to replace all the items as soon as possible, as we want to give the best experience possible. Furthermore I am very happy to learn that you had an enjoyable time with the holiday package that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you for your next visit to Cape Town.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

First of all, may I just say the staff at this hotel are the best!, they were very enthusiastic and engaging with us. The rooms are well proportioined, and the hotel were more than happy to swap our rooms (so we could get a better view of the wonder of the world that is Table mountain)..

The dinning experience was also nice, the pianist was on top form and the chef was happy to rustle up some much needed eggs even minutes after they officially closed for breakfast.

The location, a stone throw from Long street is quite handy so no need to hop in a cab after hitting the tiles of the numerous bars nearby.

Clean rooms, good food, fabulous location & friendly staff...what more do you need on a vacation!?!?! ;-). Thanks Stand Hotel, we'll definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Table Mountain, it makes a difference!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerSTH, General Manager at Strand Tower Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear MR_L0ng,

It is great to get such a lovely review, many thanks for that! Furthermore I am happy that you got a view of Table Mountain every day! As you mention, you don't need much more than "Clean rooms, good food, fabulous location & friendly staff", therefore this is the place to be in Cape Town ;-)

For your next visit, you can also inform about our holiday package options, as many tours are included in this as well... But in the mean time, we look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,