“Noisy with slow service”
Review of Ikhaya Lodge

Ikhaya Lodge
Ranked #78 of 108 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Berlin, Germany
“Noisy with slow service”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

After reading all the good reviews on tripadvisor, I was looking forward to my stay at Ikhaya Lodge- and I was bitterly disappointed, mainly for two reasons: Firstly, while the rooms are very nicely furnished and decorated, the walls are really thin and you can hear absolutely everything that your next door neighbour is doing. Mine got up at 6.30 a.m. every day and switched on the tv at sufficient volume to wake me up every morning. Not a great start into my holiday in South Africa. Secondly, the service at reception and at the restaurant was extremely slow and not very helpful. The service suddenly reached previously unseen levels on my last day here, when apparently the manager, who was absolutely lovely and full of knowledge about the city and the country, had arrived back at the lodge- but unfortunately, as soon as she had left the building that night, her employees were as inattentive as before.
I am sorry to say this, because the place is beautiful and the location on Dunkley Square is just superb- but I would not recommend this as a holiday location. The best part of my stay here were the dinners in the lovely Greek restaurant, Maria, on the other side of that square!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Guestrelations58, Manager at Ikhaya Lodge, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback which we value. We are sorry that your experience of service from the front desk was not a positive one. Our aim is to be very helpful and accommodating as we value each guest. We have taken your remarks and will use them to review what we can do to ensure this experience is not replicated. Our aim is not for one person to stand out, but for the team to excel.

Kind regards,
Ruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We lucked into finding iKhaya Lodge by looking around the neighborhood on Google Maps and then looking up the hotels we found. We arrived sweaty and frazzled after taking wrong turns at the train station and finding a taxi, but that disappeared when they warmly welcomed us and offered us a welcome drink of mango juice as we were checking in. I had thought that I had prepaid, but I hadn't -- their website was a little opaque on that, and I'd just held the room with my credit card, rather than prepaying -- but the confusion was soon sorted out and we were shown to our wonderful room, with its funky African decor with lots of beaded wirework from Street Wire in the Bo-Kaap neighborhood. I especially liked the wooden-slatted floor to the bathroom, and the airy sunroom part of the room with chairs and sliding doors, looking out on to Dunkley Square with its outdoor restaurants. We had a magnificent view of Table Mountain out our window as well.

Staff were super-friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful, with directions to a drugstore, with printouts of concert tickets (we couldn't get the lobby computer to print out, so they had us forward the email to the front desk and they made it work), with calling cabs for us a few times, and with everything. Wi-Fi was strong and fast, and the continental breakfast in the large sunny breakfast room and verandah definitely hit the spot. (My girlfriend noticed that the milk for coffee and cereal had turned on our first morning, but on successive mornings it was just fine.)

Room Tip: Our room overlooking Dunkley Square was large, and the sunroom set off by curtains was especially ni...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Guestrelations58, Manager at Ikhaya Lodge, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Wow! What a delightful and honest review of us! Thank you very much. It was such a pleasure to add to making your visit to our beautiful city of Cape Town and your stay with us, that much better. As a "Google Earth Choice" we are happy to know we did not disappoint :-)

Thank you for the detailed review of the assistance you received from us. We are a small and intimate venue but we aim to surprise with being there for our guests as much as we can. We hope that you will return in the near future and if you do recommend someone to us, please ask them to let us know as it would be our pleasure to send warm regards in return.

From the team at iKhaya Lodge
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was a real find for me as it was clean and comfortable with an ensuite bathroom and a sweet little verandah with a great view onto the mountain. The lodge is on a quiet square with three good local restaurants, yet only a few blocks walking distance from the centre of Capetown and a local My Citi bus terminus (Gardens) if you want to go further afield. The staff were a young friendly and helpful team - very important when you are on your own in a city for a while. I'll definitely return with my family and highly recommend it. The only improvement for me would be if they could offer lattes/cappuccinos to go with the fresh continental breakfasts.

Room Tip: They also have suites upstairs which we will use next time we go as a family.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 94Penny2013
Thank you you so much for choosing to stay with us at iKhaya Logdge and for taking the time to write the review. We really appreciate the feed back and are very happy to see that you had a lovely time with us, and best of all, that you plan to return with your family.

We have taken note of the suggestion to include a latte or a cappuccino with the Continental Breakfast and are delighted to confirm that management said "Yes!". So when you do return, you will be able to have your morning latte or cappuccino with your Continental Breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back!
From all of us at iKhaya Lodge
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Liked the funky decor. Breakfast was well enjoyed. Something of everything but no overkill. Very quiet area and one could sleep well. Situated just around the corner of major roads and locations in town. The square in front of the lodge give it some room which a lot of other B&Bs and smaller lodge does not have. 3G reception was good and I could connect at free will and keep up with my business commitments. Will go back !

Room Tip: Do not stay in the low number ( 1 to 4 ) as they are above the entrance door to the lodge and it can...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Guestrelations58, Manager at Ikhaya Lodge, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Safari M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted that you would like to return and we look forward to welcome you back. We feel very fortunate to have the lovely feel of Dunkley Square which you mention. That and the stunning views of Table Mountain and Lion's head lend a special energy to iKhaya. Thank you again for sharing and keep well, from us all here at iKhaya Lodge.
Darmstadt, Germany
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Ruth and thge VERY capable team at Ikhaya dealt with about 20+ guests at outr wedding reception staing at the lodge and then catered and arranged the wedding ceremony for us. All while my husband and I were in Germany and Switzerland.
We got exactly what we envisioned with loads of extras. The special vegan menus blew people's minds away. The service was fun and light but very effecient. Everything was possble and the dayiuly tips and tricks the guests received were outstanding.
I would recommend the Lodge wholeheartedly for any larger scale get together in the heart of the Cape Town City Bowl.
Can't say enought about the lovely staff and how effecient they were.
Lady Ruth knows how to run a very tight ship.
Pricing was very reasonable. The rooms and stays were flexible (necessary if you are coordinating a wedding accross 4 continents).
I woulod wholeheartedly recommend and in fact go back every year to at least stay high to the wonfderful people we met.
Schalk Viljoen

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Guestrelations58, Manager at Ikhaya Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Schalk,

Thank you so much for your support and the wonderful feedback. The team and I are very excited to read it. As you know, we delighted in your trust in us and for pushing the boundaries. The flowers and decor came out beautifully too and the whole event was magical even to us. We enjoyed having your family and friends over and hope that you and many of them will return and allow us to spoil you again. We wish you and Ian the very best for your future. Ruth and The Team at iKhaya Lodge
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Overall, this is a very good, value for money hotel, with friendly staff and nice rooms (apartments or efficiencies). However, the big drawback for me was internet connectivity. 30 rand per day per device, and even then weak or non-existent signal in the room (19). I had to spend most of my time in the reception to get a decent signal. Finally, I hate hotels that charge for internet; they should just put it in the room rate and provide a decent service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are grateful for your honest feedback regarding the Internet connectivity. We have been busy looking at how to resolve it and are pleased to let you know that we have upgraded our internet line with Telkom (they say we have the fastest speed possible now ;-) ) and also convinced management to provide the connectivity complimentary to our in-house guests. We wish you well and hope that when you are next in Cape Town you will visit us again and enjoy the hospitality, ambiance and accommodation that you enjoyed on your last stay. Best regards from Ruth
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights and had a good experience. The room was clean and with the minimum required, including a lovely balcony towards the Square. The continental breakfast also had the minimum I expected and the service was just good, the staff is friendly but perhaps a little inexperienced. I was also allowed to use the open parking inside the premises.
The area is very quiet, right in the historic centre of the city. The view from the room had a superb view of the Table Mountain.
Just for brief moments I experienced noise from guests in the passage or they talking loud in adjacent rooms.
The interior decoration is a good attempt of an African theme but not really that well achieved, nevertheless the decoration and the music in the lounge is a friendly hint that you are in Africa. The lounge and the dining have a pleasant area that extends to the outside pavement

If I get again the discounted price I would definitely go back. I don't think if I would with the full price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo