“As Promised”

Premier Classe Train
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We used South Safari to set up, organize and pay for our wonderful Premier Class Train ride from Cape Town to Johannesburg and as promised they delivered. We paid using our American Express credit card and their secure online payment system without hassle or issue. The train ride was so relaxing and the service was first class with high quality meals and turn down state room service. We had several large suitcases (7 + hand carries) and South Safari as promised organized additional help/porters to meet us in the Premier Lounge and to help us secure and load and offload all our luggage. I would definitely recommend the Premier Class train experience and the additional support and behind the scenes coordination, planning and service offered by Terius Bester at South Safari.com.

4  Thank Mark L

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Somewhere between Average and Very Good. We travelled from CT to JHB in May 2013 taking our car with us on the train. Quite an experience I must say - the waiting room in CT is spotless, the staff very helpful. Our car was put on the train effortlessly. The welcome drink and snacks left a lttle to be desired, sparkling wine fine, the sandwiches, bad quality biltong and processed chips I could have done without. The cabin was fine but the beds were uncomfortable although the service was excellent in the cabin. The meals were generally quite good although getting a sharp knife to cut the steak proved impossible. Fish cooked to perfection. One had to buy a whole bottle of wine as they do not sell by the glass but over two meals that was fine. The train manager spent an inordinate amount of time schmoozing the customers which was irritating. His ingratiating manner I could most certainly do without and he lacked sincerity. Apart from that I would most definitely recommend this train trip which compared to a luxury train was not that expensive but then again it was not luxurious, although they did try hard. R2500 per person and R2800 per car

5  Thank Geo H
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My family of five did this trip last August (2012), from Cape Town to Johannesburg. It was fabulous. Some of the reviewers here had truly dreadful experiences - 15 hours late? I would have gone up the wall. Others are just fussier than us. I got into trouble with Tripadvisor last year for leaving a review that was critical of other reviewers, my review was taken down, so I will be a good boy this time and won't be rude about other people's standards.

If you are expecting 5 star treatment and grovelling staff you will be disappointed. If you are expecting indifferent service and merely adequate food you will be pleasantly surprised. If you are unlucky enough to experience baboons eating through electric cables and stranding you for fifteen hours, then your experience inevitably won't be as memorable in as positive way as ours was. We were only two hours late, and apart from that minor inconvenience everything went as advertised.

Unlike others, I thought the cost of under 250 quid each, for 28 hours of transportation through some amazing scenery, plus a very comfortable bed for the night, plus a three course lunch, a five course dinner and a cooked breakfast the next day (all very good quality), plus the overall experience, altogether was an absolute bargain. The staff were attentive and friendly, pretty difficult I would have thought, for the duration of what amounted to a 28 hour shift. Yes, some of the furnishings are a bit tatty, but overall it was clean and comfortable. Why would you fly, and miss all this? I thoroughly recommend this trip, it was an entertaining and eye-opening experience.

16  Thank JoeLacey
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Once you overcome the rather african booking service (which worked out fine) this is an amazing trip. We saw beautiful sunset and sunrises lovely food helpful service slightly late into cape town (what a run in) but who cares

7  Thank Piers V
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We took the Premier Class train from Joburg to Cape Town. We felt welcome and pampered from the moment we arrived at the departure lounge. It's a bit pricey (around $325 USD per person), but all your meals are included - the best meals we've ever had on a train. The staff make up your bed for you while you're having dinner, and then take your used sheets away while you're having your breakfast the next day. The bathrooms were always clean, and the showers ... let's just say, having a hot shower on a train while watching the Karoo desert scenery from the window was unforgettable. We booked our tickets through African Sun Travel - we'd highly recommend using their service, it was completely hassle-free.

Only two negatives: our train car was beside the smoking car, which required us to run over and close the smoking car doors anytime anyone entered or left it, otherwise our car smelled like a smoking car. Also, we ordered early morning coffee which never arrived. But these were minor inconveniences that were easily overshadowed by the rest of the trip, which was unforgettable.

9  Thank Elle J