“Not great food”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Food I wanted was sold out and I have had much better in other spots on Pier. I would say they are not catering to good food but just catering to mediocre tourist dining and rely on volume. Mny many other better places. Should have been a red flag when we got there it was almost empty and all other places were full.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I were in Cape Town for a week of vacationing. We had tickets for the ferry to Robben Island. Since there were so many good looking restaurants in this Marine area, we thought we'd have a leisurely lunch before taking the ferry.
It was raining after we were seated in the outside, plastic covered area. We noticed that some tables were becoming rain soaked from leaks in the roof. Thankfully, ours was not one of them.
Service was prompt and very good.
My husband and I shared the clam chowder which was tasteless and disappointing. I ordered the salad nicoise, and my husband the steak panini. The salad was also tasteless, and nothing I tried, could bring it to life. The steak panini was ok, but nothing special. The prices were on the high side.
All in all, this restaurant was disappointing. Go elsewhere.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had the easer salad to start which was very average and lacking anchovies and a nice ceases sauce, and then for main I had the tuna steak which tasted like it had been cooked from frozen (no taste) and completely spoilt by the vegetable and tomato ragoute !

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Hildebrand restaurant used to be an icon in the Cape Town restaurant scene. Sadly not any longer, the menu is dated and the food not up to standard. The positive about it is the setting in front of the marina and the attentive and well versed waiters. Surely the kitchen can do something about the food, then we'll be back.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Not a positive experience. Italian food at its worst. We had 4 different dishes but none bearly met our expectations. Definitely a place to avoid especially considering the variety and number of restaurants available in the Marina. The only postive note was the service, nothing special but at least ok.