“Great Experience!”
Review of Grand Daddy Hotel

Grand Daddy Hotel
Ranked #62 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Best two weeks ever! Compared to the 5 star hotel I also visited in Cape Town, this hotel definitely came out on top, with its larger bed and bathroom that are not only comfortable but also very well equipped. Step out of the Hotel and you immediately feel the fibrant city inviting you to explore it! The restaurant serves a really good pasta! Best part? All the staff of this hotel are really helpful and friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Nick P, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2015

Dear Jéan-Pierre E

Thank you for the feedback of the hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations. The staff at the Grand Daddy are helpful and friendly. We have emphasised this and am glad to hear that are training is being put into practice

I hope that you are able to visit us soon and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

One of the "mod" new breed of hotels. Nice touch of the old and the new. Comfortable rooms and acceptable service. Certainly worth the visit while in Cape Town. Enjoy the bustle of the city while just a short drive to the sea

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Michael S

I am so glad that you enjoyed our stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel. We have recently refurbished our airstream trailers and redesigned the themes and layout. If you are in Cape Town you must pop in to see the new design.

We look forward to welcoming you back the the Grand Daddy Hotel

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We just stayed in the Grand Daddy for 3 nights - what a great hotel! It is on Long Street, so centrally located.
Thank you Bryony and staff for a lovely, comfortable stay. Love the room decor! What a pleasure to enjoy a clean bathroom! The staff are friendly and helpful and Bryony very hands-on.
Great value for money!
The Grand Daddy will definitely see me again next trip to Cape Town.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear 27lizzy

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Daddy. Bryony has left the hotel and I have taken over the reins from her. We recently completed our refurbishment of the airstream trailers on the rooftop and I hope that you will pop in when next you are in Cape Town

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Although this was a business trip, it was a unique experience for us. From the moment we stopped it was just 5* service to the end. Most enjoyable stay in a long time. Will definately go there again and recommend this unique Hotel to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear CathrineVanStraten

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback on the hotel. I have taken over the running of the hotel and ensuring that all the comments are replied to. I am sire glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and you must pop in when next you are in Cape Town. We have recently completed our refurbishment of the rooftop and the airstream trailers now have all new themes.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

If you young in spirit and mind this is the perfect hotel, centrally located with easy Access to the City and night life, great service, and excellent staff.

I go there at least 7 times a year and have enjoyed every stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Normanparkin

Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. I have taken over the running of the Grand Daddy and making sure that all the comments are responded too. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We have completed the refurbishment of the rooftop and have new themes for all the airstream trailers. You must pop in to see them, when next you are in Cape Town

Warm Regards

Reviewed June 18, 2014

please dont let the professional photos fool you. its a old property with dated lift and cramped room. it feels like a hostel . the rooms were so small that after putting down the luggage hardly any place was left to move aorund.

The only saving grace if the hotel is the Location. That is it.

please note: i stayed for a very short tym and dint see the rooftop trailer and the bar so cant comment on those.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank kshitiz007

Dear kshitiz007

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have taken over the running of the hotel and ensuring that all the feedback in reviewed and replied to. We refurbished the rooftop last year, and redesigned all the airstream trailers and re-themed each one with a roadtrip destination in South Africa. If you are in Cape Town again, please pop in to see what we have done and I will be delighted to show you around.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I recall this hotel opening several years ago to great acclaim and it's winning recognition and awards for its innovation and design.
Charging R1,900 during most times of the year per night I struggled to justify staying there on my business trips. I did though attend numerous events on the roof and in the bar and was very impressed with the art and style.
As I booked my recent business trip Group On mailed me and offered me a ridiculously cheap three nights at this hotel. I went through a laborious process but secured my three nights plus a fourth paying the full off peak rack rate.
Advertised as a four star hotel one would expect a great deal more than you experience. And the veneer was certainly deteriorating.
The rooftop was closed for renovation and the owners might be well advised to close the whole hotel for renovation. At the entrance to our room and at each window the paint was fast coming away from the wall due to damp. In general there was an unkempt feel as though decaying ageing was being allowed to march unchecked in view of budgetary constraints. This was not handsome antique ageing.
A four star hotel should have:
At least one international news channel
Working wifi
Working customer computer access
Cockroach free
Plentiful amenities in the bathroom
More than two tea bags
A roof that does not leak. We at least found an ice bucket to catch the drips that kept us awake most of the night.
Room service 24/7

Sadly this hotel failed on all these counts .

The staff though were great and helpful but perhaps a bit too honest " I don't know why we put you in that room sir it is always problematic ." Were their words whilst we were moved rooms mid stay. Never a fun thing to do.

There was also a complete brand fail when having paid the full rack rate which provided breakfast ( from a trimmed down menu) I was told by the waiter " the cappuccino will be extra" in fact twelve rand extra. It's not about the money it's the experience. We estimated the cost price of that cappuccino was R2 and would be delighted to be corrected.

Located centrally and with lots of potential, tread with caution especially in view of the cockroaches and avoid room 301 at all costs.

Since drafting this review i have had a mail from the general manager following my alerting them via social media of my concern and forthcoming review.

Room Tip: Located centrally and with lots of potential, tread with caution especially in view of the cockroach...