“Excelent food, good price and great atmosphere”
Review of Miller's Thumb

Miller's Thumb
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I went to Millers, unfortunately on my last day in Cape Town. Staff is very good, and the owner comes to your table to tell you which are the dishes of the day. Food is absolutely perfect. I ate a fish with a lichee sauce, and my wife a fish soup and calamari with Moroccan Sauce. If I could, I would eat more times at Millers Thumb. You must go there.

2  Thank Claudio P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was our favorite restaurant on our trip - and the food was AMAZING!! We had the fish - and the Brazilian beef. The presentation was creative and we could have eaten here every single night. It was recommended by our hosts at An African Villa and the restaurant was beyond our expectations.

3  Thank Prico4
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Miller’s Thumb in early May, on a friend’s recommendation. When we called around 7pm to reserve for the same night (on a Friday night), the tables were full until 9 pm, but we were able to book for then. Jane, herself, one of the husband-wife proprietors, reviewed the menu selections with us and offered her recommendations. Solly, her husband, is the chef. They were very accommodating of our combined, gluten-free and lactose-free requirements. The restaurant is known for its fish dishes and we were not disappointed. Our meals, including the service, were excellent and the ambiance was casual and nice. Two thumbs up!

1  Thank JimAndDenise51
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We received excellent service and the food is brilliant. If you like fish or want to taste how fish should be done this is the place. Unpretentious with a great vibe and atmosphere. The wine list is limited, but has good wines at a good price. The menu is also limited, but you should be here for the fish so you shouldn't need a long menu.

Even though we were here on a business dinner we wanted the vibe. It is not a quite place so dont expect this to be romantic or a place to discuss business. Rather a place to relax and enjoy your evening.

1  Thank THW03
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were recommended Miller's Thumb by our hotel, 2inn1 Kensington (see review), and my husband and I both really enjoyed our time there. I will agree with others that the food came out somewhat quickly, but we also got salad, entrees, and dessert (and a bottle of wine) and it wasn't too fast for us at least (we eat quickly in the USA!). My husband is not a fish eater and I was a little concerned but he loved his meat dish - it was like a big long skewer of meat (I wish I had had my camera!) but the meat was cooked perfectly and the sauce on it was delicious. I chose the kinglip (sp?) as the waitress said it was a traditional South Africa fish and got it with the Indian flavoring - I loved it! Very light and the sauce was just delicious with a hint of spice. We talked briefly to a couple sitting next to us also visiting from the states and they said it was their third night there in about a week. We actually wanted to come back again 2 nights later (that is how much we liked it!) but they are closed on Sundays :( Also, the price was very reasonable - for all of that it was probably half of what we would have paid in the states for the same quality and quantity. It would be a favorite if it was in Chicago!

2  Thank bethie331