“Adorable, spacious and incredibly friendly staff!”

Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel
Ranked #44 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 9, 2013

A cute little boutique hotel, located in the Seapoint neighborhood, Atlantic Affair is a wonderful place! The staff are all very friendly and will help you with anything you need. They can also recommend many great tours. Leave time in your schedule to do tours recommended to you, you will not be disappointed! The rooms were modern and clean and to my surprise large (what I am used to in America) sized rooms. Your room will have a mini (bar) fridge, dishes, electric water pot and we even had a heated towel rack (I discovered this on the last day). The neighborhood is cute and has a Primi Piatti right on the corner, we ate there a few times and I highly recommend it! If you take any of the sketch fake cabs they will not know where this hotel is, so learn the directions yourself so you can avoid driving in circles! The red cabs (with white lettering- the name is escaping me!!) are what the hotel always calls for you and they know where this hotel is at. Get a card from them and have restaurants call the company to get rides back at the end of your days. They are the best, cheapest and you will always feel safe. Stay at this little gem of a hotel and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanticaffair, General Manager at Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Alicia,

Thank you for the glowing review!

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hope you enjoyed it enough to stay with us again next time you're in Cape Town;)

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before but feel prompted to do so after my stay at Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel, Cape Town. My husband and I felt this hotel made our visit complete. The staff were friendly and professional, willing to offer help if needed. The location is a very short taxi ride to Table Mountain, V and A Waterfront, and other main attractions. We hired a car and were pleased that there was secure off road parking. The hotel felt safe and was beautifully looked after. I have never had such a spotlessly clean hotel room! Attention to detail was excellent. Our room had a little kitchen area and sitting room adjoined to the bedroom, the bed was huge and very comfortable. I hope this hotel continues to flourish. Well done to all the staff and thank you for a lovely week.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow!

So very pleased to hear that you so enjoyed your stay it moved you to write your first review!

Thank you for taking the time to do so.

We take great pride in the service that we offer at Atlantic Affair and we are always very happy to hear when it is appreciated.

Regards,
Natasha

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Everything during our stay was excellent. The rooms are large, clean and come equipped with everything you could need. The location is perfect, close to the seafront and the hop on/off bus stop, which makes getting anywhere easy. You can also walk along the seafront all the way to the V&A.
All the staff were exceptionally welcoming and the night watchman, Trymore, was always extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone - A 5 star experience, thank you. We shall be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kelly G
Atlanticaffair, General Manager at Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

'A 5 star experience'!! High praise indeed.

We thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We selected Atlantic affair for a 5-night stay in Cape Town after spending a week on safari in Tanzania and a week at the beach in Zanzibar. I had done a great deal of online research about hotels in Cape Town and this was one of the only hotels that didn't have any reviews which mentioned theft from the rooms. Atlantic Affair seems to take guest safety very seriously as compared with other hotels in the area, at least based on the user reviews I read on TripAdvisor. We brought and used a travel safe to store our laptops and other electronics, but I'm not sure it was necessary at this particular hotel since they obviously placed such a high premium of guest safety.

The good:
- secured parking
- 24 hour security on staff
- spacious room
- kitchenette (stove, minifridge, dishes, etc)
- comfy king bed
- responsive to customer concerns

The bad:
- Internet troubles
- teensy tiny TV in the living room
- compact bathroom
- problem receiving a package
- minor damage to rental car (they addressed it immediately)

The hotel is about 3 blocks from the ocean and about 5 blocks from the closest Hop-On/Hop-Off tourist bus - this was a fantastic benefit. There were many restaurants nearby as well.

We stayed in room 302, which was a top floor room with a large balcony. We had a slight view of the Atlantic Ocean, but the view was nonetheless wonderful. Our room was west-facing so we enjoyed a bit of the sunset before it sank below the buildings in front of the hotel. What's funny about our getting this room is that when I booked the hotel on Expedia, I had booked a superior room (which would have been on one of the lower floors with a smaller balcony). When I realized I really wanted the top balcony area, I emailed the hotel and asked how much it would cost to upgrade to the top floor. Their email response indicated that they had upgraded us to the top floor free of charge. Totally unexpected and unnecessary, but I appreciated it. Great customer service before we even arrived!

When we entered the room, the balcony doors were open and the curtains were opened so we could appreciate the fact that we had a balcony. However, because we arrived at 11pm, it was extremely cold and the room was pretty chilly upon our arrival. It took a bit of effort for us to get the room back to a comfortable temperature, but the heaters provided in the room helped a lot.

The living room area has a small dining table as well as a couple of chairs in front of the TV. We never used the kitchenette except for storing our drinks in the fridge and keeping snacks on the countertop.
The bedroom was extremely comfortable, but only slightly larger than the king bed it contained. There were 2 closet cabinets with plenty of storage space, but not enough hangers. There was also a small safe in the closet. The bed was comfy with plenty of bedding and I was toasty through the night.
The bathroom was quite small - my husband and I could not both be in there at the same time. But it got the job done.

The parking area is controlled access and protected by a gate. You are given an entry code, although when we returned late at night, we were pleased to find that the security guard recognized our car and opened the gate for us to save us the trouble of keying in the code. The spaces are fairly compact, but there was always an open space for us. However, one morning when we went to our car, we found a large drip stain on our windshield. The stain did not come off when we turned the squirty stuff on from the windshield wipers. It was clear that something had dripped from the ceiling of the parking area onto our car windshield. When we brought the problem to the attention of the hotel staff, they mentioned they had recently re-sealed the ceiling of the parking area and they believed some of that material had dripped down. They asked the cleaning staff to clean our windshield - which took a great deal of brillo pad and arm power. But they eventually got our windshield clean.

We have 2 complaints about this hotel which were important to us, but which do not detract from its otherwise superior accommodations.

Internet Connectivity: My husband and I each brought a laptop which uses Windows 8. When we checked in, we were given a laptop logon code for one device, but had to request a second code for our other laptop. Unfortunately, we struggled to make these codes work consistently for us. My husband's laptop logged onto the internet the first night we got there, but from then onward, it couldn't get online. My laptop would intermittently connect to the internet, but it was never a sure thing. When we mentioned it to the front desk, they couldn't really troubleshoot it for us.

Delivery: Because we went on safari before our arrival in Cape Town, we had severe baggage weight limitations. In anticipation of that, I emailed the hotel in advance and asked if we could ship ourselves some clothes which would arrive before we did. The hotel agreed to accept delivery of the package. I subsequently received an email from the hotel that the postal service had attempted to deliver my box to them but that a duty was owed and so they refused delivery and asked the postal service to return when we checked in. I asked the hotel if they would pay the duty and then add the charge to our bill when we checked in but they responded that they had already sent the postman away with the package and he would not return until our scheduled check-in date. This was somewhat frustrating since we had arranged in advance to have the package delivered.
The morning after our late-night check-in, I asked the front desk about the delivery and they were unaware of what I was talking about but promised to check into it nonetheless (the confusion apparently stems from the fact that the two people who work the front desk are both named Natasha). Two days later (two days before we left the hotel), the package turned up in our room. and the duty due was added to our bill. This duty amounted to about $3.50 USD. I cannot understand why the hotel did not accept the package in the first place. Instead, we got it two days before our trip ended, although it contained clothes we had hoped to wear for the duration of our stay.

Among the hotel amenities we took advantage of were the in-room mini bar and laundry service. The mini-fridge was stocked with a variety of beverages but no snacks. Reasonable prices and selection.
We also used the laundry service and were shocked at how inexpensive it was. My husband and I sent about 5 days' worth of clothes plus our beachwear to be washed and the total cost was about $15 USD. Amazing.

Despite the few negative experiences we had at Atlantic Affair, I highly recommend this hotel. The things we complained about aren't things which are high priority for most guests and our overall experience was extremely satisfactory.

Room Tip: the top floor rooms (301 and 302) have extremely large balconies and slight views of the Atlantic Oc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tvnewseditor

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful comments about your stay with us in September.

We are so pleased to hear that you recommend our hotel however it is with regret that hear about the two unpleasant incidents that you experienced while you were here.

It was an unfortunate oversight on behalf of our staff members that your package was not received and we apologise for any inconvenience that this caused.

Our apologies also for the inconvenience caused due to intermittent connectivity. We are not always able to control connectivity issues (due to problems with the server, etc.) however being unable to connect over such a long period should have been better looked into.

Thank you again for taking the time to place your comments on TripAdvisor.

We hope to see you next time you visit Cape Town:)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The staff was always friendly and handfull. Sandra and the other girls were really nice in our 8 days hollyday. The place was calm and quiet, the rooms were really clean and beatiful with a great large comfortable bed and a nice hot shower. The mini bar prices are
accessible. The security guards are also very friendly. In the neighborhood there are some supermarkets, pharmacy, simple restaurants and with a two blocks walk you can have a wonderful view of the sea! To V&A Water Front the taxi will take about 8 minutes and 60-70 Rand. But a walk to or from there is an excelent tour! Great place!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on TripAdvisor. We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really do take the comfort of our guests very seriously and it gives us a feeling of great satisfaction to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

Best Regards

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Close to everything. Enjoyed shopping and walking along the beach during my stay. Nice place with bonus free wifi access for guest. Recommended for people who love being close to the water. V&A Waterfront not very far and also close to Camps Bay and Clifton beaches.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alichenge
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel is on very good location near to V&A & nor too far from Camps bay. Customer service is very good. Staff goes out off the way to help. Very modern rooms with nice little kitchen although we did not use kitchen but was comforting if we needed. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanticaffair, General Manager at Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Monika,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after by our staff. We hope to see you again next time you visit Cape Town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
City Bowl
The Lions
The Lions
#24 of 156 in Cape Town Central

Been to Atlantic Affair Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!