“A little disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was my third visit to Carne over the last few years, the first was just after it opened. The restaurant decor is minimalist and almost industrial in style with walls painted in dark grey and concrete floors. The young trendy staff direct you to the bar and are quite keen to serve a pre-dinner drink.

There is an excellent refrigerated ageing room and you can actually see the meat hanging there. On arriving at your table, your waiter will show you a plate with all the different cuts of meat and explain how they should be cooked and advise customers which cut would suit them best. I picked a sirloin which I asked to be cooked medium-rare. It arrived on the rarer side but was very tough and I really didn't enjoy it. I should have complained at the outset of the meal but when I told the waiter at the end, he said that he would pass on my comments to the management and would I like them to prepare another for me. Naturally, being full, I declined but I was surprised that they didn't at least offer to either amend the bill slightly or to perhaps offer a free dessert. I had a chocolate fondant for dessert with vanilla ice-cream which was excellent. I'm not sure I would go back a fourth time based on this meal and I seem to recollect that when we visited two years previously, I had the same problem. Maybe it was just unfortunate but I would expect better meat than this at a restaurant which specialises and sirloin is usually very tender.

There are newer reviews for Carne on Keerom

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Went there last Saturday night.
The decor is surprising yet beautiful. When I say decor, I actually refer to the lack there of. It is a modern industrial looking environment with concrete floors and walls, no one picture in sight to look at, only some old copper scales and pitchers placed at each end of the restaurant. Huge steel beam and wood rafters are obvious, the tables are the most plain wooden tables. Interestingly enough, the decor is still warm and welcoming, thanks to the lighting.

Now our waiter comes and gives us the choice of meat cuts which we did. My son had the lamb ravioli which he raved about it. I had the carpaccio - good, but nothing more. My daughter had the bressaola beef, also good. The rib eye steak on bone were excellent, the 3 fillet medallions were melting in the mouth, but for my part, they were almost cold when served. The sauces on the medallions lacked seasoning. The broccoli was not al dente, it was raw. My daughter had ordered mashed potatoes - they were quite blend.
Dessert was on the other hand outstanding: the chocolate fondant was beautifully presented and out of this world.

Yes the meats are fantastic, but all in all, I found that it was way too pricey for the whole experience. What bothers me is that sides are billed additionally to the cost of the meat. Come on... that's really cheap.

As the restaurant filled in with customers, the noise levels became so high I had difficulties sustaining a conversation.

I would have liked to give a 3.5/5 as a rating, but had to settled for 3.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Lovely place, very accommodating. Quite expensive but very nice for a civilised meal out. Meat was beautiful - to be expected due to the name!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I visited Carne recently with my husband, after reading the reviews we were looking forward to having a great time. Unfortunately it was not so.

we were greeted by the friendly hostess, then taken to our table. My husband order the Lamb Ravioli which is the chef's signature dish, however it was possibly the worst ravioli we have ever tasted. It was bland and all you could taste in the sauce was butter.

I chose the marinated leg of Karoo Lamb and i was impressed. very tasty and thoroughly enjoyable. My husband and i ended up sharing this dish instead.

then it was time for desert, we received them without any cutlery, and when we did get the cutlery, my ice cream was half melted.

our waiter assisted us half way throughout the night, thereafter we had 2 other waiters assisting, we requested the bill only to have to wait about 15-20 minutes for it, only when were paying did the first waiter make an appearance.

very disappointed, for the amount of money that was spent, i would have thought much better service would be received.

would definitely not suggest Carne to anyone.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

What can be said about this eatery other than perfect.
We came un booked , and after a short wait and apologies we were given a table by the kitchen and bar. Kind of a bar table without a bartender.
The waiter introduced us to the amazing variety of cuts. He demonstrated knowledge , provided detailed explanation about each of the cuts as well as suggesting the wines to go with.
When we were done , we were greeted by the chef, a charming Italian gentleman who apparently knows a thing or two about meet , cattle and people eating them.
We ventured into two Fiorentina to share.Crisps for the one and spinach for the other.
No starters , as we wanted to make sure we can deal with the load ahead of us. A couple of hours later we were done. WOW.
None of the four of us left anything on the plate.
The meat was aged to tenderness. Grilled perfectly with no basting (South Africans like their grilled meet basted with different flavors)
Coffee was good but not of the same standard as the meet. We had no deserts.
I'm told they have a special selection of sweets too.
The upper deck which is at street level is much quieter than the basement where all the action is. So if you are in for a serious shop talk , take the upper deck instead of the dungeon
Enjoy
Make sure to book as it is packed especially during the holiday season.