“Kili Quest 2012 - Leukemia & Cancer”
Review of Head South Lodge

Head South Lodge
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Jambo Habari Gani - Jeff, Roxy and Staff

I have been using Jeff's place for the last 15 plus years, I have seen first hand his (& his staff's) attention to detail.

Immaculate property, exquisite rooms, sumptuous breakfasts, friendly and efficient staff.

Nothing is too much to ask for, Jeff will make it happen!

Where in the modern world do you still find an "honesty" bar? Well HSL has one!

I am always reminded of the TV show about the local bar "Cheers" - "Where everyone knows your name!" - Well that sums up HSL!

Jeff, always a pleasure!
BarryB

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

It is so rewarding for us at Head South to receive reviews such as this. Thanks BezzieB.
I am pleased that we can still be of good service to guests and that they can be so grateful for what we are all about.
Thanks for complimenting our trusting nature. People often say that what you give out you will receive.
We look forward to your next visit to Head South Lodge.
Cheers
Jeff, Ramona, Meggan and Roxy

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having spent a couple of weeks travelling around South Africa and staying in guest houses in the middle of nowhere, we decided to make Cape Town our City Break, and wanted a friendly hotel rather than another guest house. This is exactly what we got. We were up-graded (Thank you Geoff) for our five niight stay and the room was large and airy and the bed comformatble.
There appeared to be a large double bed, but actually it was two twins put together, which I found odd for a large room.
Watch out for the heated towel rail. It was beside the sink in our room, and I accidently fell against it badly burning my arm and back.
Breakfast was ok. Lots of choice of cereals and youghurt and cheese etc. Three heated bowls as well, one of bacon, one of mushrooms and one of scrambled egg.
Tea and coffee on tap 24hours a day in the dining area, which is a lovely touch, as well as soft drinks chargable to the room by means of an honesty system. This is the same as the alcohol, located at the entrance to the hotel. Geoff and the staff were lovely and could not have been more helpful. They spent time giving us advice on what to do on various days. It was my birthday and we wanted to go somewhere special for dinner, so Geoff and co thought about it and booked the perfect place for us. Once again, thank you!
This is unpretentious, close enough to V&A and town without being right on top of it. Local amenities as well including a 24 hour internet place and laundrettes etc all within 5 min walk. Good value for money too.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel. I found it quiet, although if it's raining you have to d...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thanks for the review guys.
I prefer a king or queen size bed but many guests travel with a partner whom they don't want to sleep close to, hence we have more singles than we would like. It is market demand.
I will see why the heated towel rail was so hot that it burnt you, and make sure that the warning sign is still in place. This is unacceptable.
It was great having you with us and hopefully you will be back in rugby season so you can attend a game at Newlands.
Kind regards and happy travels
Jeff

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Friendly staff, a great honesty bar system, really interesting and friendly fellow guests (on all occassions) and close to good restaurants a dnt he sea and V&A Waterfront.
The staff are really great and make you feel at home and very special. I have stayed by myslef and with European colleagues - always a pleasure. They really seem to go the extra mile for you - whether it is organising some emergency laundry services over the weekend, arranging a wine farm tour - or ensuring the internet connection is sorted out.
Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: At the back - as you get a mountain view and are away from the street. But up front you can look ove...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

We notice you have taken the time to do many reviews and as such we value the effort. A big thanks for your generous review. It is very helpful to us and we know it will be so for future travelers to Cape Town.
We will certainly try and keep up the standard that you and others have mentioned here.
Jeff

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently had my first business trip to cape town and the Head South Lodge was the chosen accomodation. I am an individual who travel's internationally on business more than I am at home, I have stayed in everything from a tent to the grandest hotels in the country. That being said, I have never felt as welcome as I did at the Head South Lodge. The rooms were comfortable and not lacking anything. The staff was warm and attentive to any needs, everything done with a smile. The lodge itself is in a convenient location near the waterfront so entertainment is only a few minutes away. I highly recommend this Lodge to anybody travelling to Cape Town.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Hi Robin,
This is a very powerful endorsement you have given here and we thank you for it. We certainly do try and make a difference. Obviously we won't be as suitable by others, and this we accept for all the obvious reasons.
Please remember that Cape Town is a great city for a holiday. We hope you will spoil yourself and we will be happy to guide you through that (or any other) chosen stay, just as we do with our tourist/holiday guests.
Jeff....Ramona & Meggan

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My wife booked us in at Head South for my 30th birthday and we were pleasantly surprised when we checked in. The large modern rooms, well light passages and the nifty cash tuck shop for your midnight snacks. The beach is just across the road for that morning run or evening stroll. Our host at Head South, Megan really out did herself and helped with the surprise that awaited me on my birthday. I would really recommend Head South Lodge if you looking for a nice relaxing time in Cape Town and value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012

Hi Iceman,
It is always great to get nice surprises and we are delighted to have been the provider. Of course much credit goes to your wife who made the choice. We look forward to the next birthday celebration at Head South Lodge.
Kind regards
Jeff.....and Ramona and Meggan.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here for a longer period (2 months) and had in advance made a quite good deal that was suitable for young people travelling. The deal included a lighter breakfast and other than that the same service as the rest of the customers. I really liked the area that was close to the ocean and quite easy to move around/be active. I found the local staff and the receptionists very helpful and friendly. They would prepare homemade soup at night and tidy our room very nicely. Unfortunately the hotel manager was very manipulative and I do therefor not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. He withdrawed our breakfast offer and made us pay. He withdrawed the room service on weekends and charged us for use of internet without informing us properly. The rates were ridiculous high! The worst part was that he tretend to physical hold us back when we were going to a trip, until we paid all the charges listed previous. This payment was demanded a week before previous payments and we were to afraid to refuse to pay. I hope this information is found useful. We have e-mails to prove the statements of this review. Travel safe!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

This is the third malicious review we have had from the group of students that we hosted for 2 months(the first one was removed by Tripadvisor). The original contract was for 88 days and the incredibly low rate of approx R200 per person per day was agreed upon for that period. Breakfast was included at a higher rate and the email to prove it was shown to the student representative who negotiated and settled the final account with me. So on that fact this reviewer is totally incorrect. Pity. The internet use in SA is very expensive and we have a limited Gig allocation which the students were told about. The fact is that they skyped daily to Norway and used up excessive available Gig. The students were told that anything above what we subsidized would have to be split by them. This they understood in the first month of stay. The cost charged was the exact same cost we had to pay the service provider.
Cleaning of rooms is a daily routine at Head South. We insist on this. Cleanliness is something we hold dear. The students got together and asked that we don't do so on weekends. This was not managements decision but their request.
Payment of accounts is always done before the 'stay'. This is accepted world wide. I allowed payment to be made at a later stage to suit them. When they decided to leave HSL and go out of SA for an excursion, I was told that some of the students would not settle their outstanding accounts. I am not sure why we should have allowed anyone to leave our hotel without paying. This really doesn't make sense to us, and nor does the accusation of being physically threatened. It is a blatant lie and I take exception to the accusation.
It is rather strange that the last three reviews from the students have been malicious and clouded with inaccuracies, while the prior reviews have been glowing. I have been told that there was a divisive student who was embarrassed by her errors and oversights and who gathered support from others and further took it on her own to attack me. It is a pity she was so naive but I have no doubt she will have learnt from this experience. If she had shared all the information on email with her colleagues maybe all of this wouldn't have happened. The points noted by this reviewer would certainly have been different.
The low rate of approx Euro20 per day was extremely generous on our part and to expect extras for free thereafter is unreasonable and unfair. Anyone who does their math can see that a daily rate of Euro 20 would not include the extras mentioned by the reviewer. I cannot imagine what experience they would have had elsewhere at that rate. I am pleased for their sake that they were safe and well housed at Head South. Their issue with me, the owner, is something that will pass in time. I am certainly pleased that some of the students showed decency and came back to Head South to say thank you and to tip the staff.
Of course all guests are entitled to give their opinion on this platform as long as it is truthful. Thankfully Tripadvisor allows a response from management and/or owner.
Having now done our annual Spring repaint of many rooms and public areas around Head South, we look forward to what is already looking like an awesome season. Bookings are way up on last season.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

The area is nice, close to the water and not too far from V & A Waterfront and Green Point area. The staff is also extremely nice and helpful, and truly went out of their way to make arrangements and make us feel at home. Unfortunately, the room that we stayed in had no heating, was cold and damp, no view and had mold inside the cabinet under the sink. There is no food serving in the evenings and not really too many nice restaurants within walking distance. There was also an incidence with the laundry service used by the hotel, who lost/stole an expensive shirt and a t-shirt.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank alipixiie
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

The guest is known to us. She was part of a group of Norwegian students (not Swedish) who stayed with us for 2.5 months at a very low negotiated rate.
We are delighted that she appreciated the staff on duty at Head South. It is a very important component of a visitor's enjoyment of Head South and Cape Town. We thank her for that.
With regards dinner, we don't advertise for evening meals. Notwithstanding,we do arrange such on request. In this case, because of budget, evening meals were never a consideration, but we did provide home made vegetable soup free of charge.
This guest was also given a room heater for her large room. Nevertheless, we have decide to fit that room with an air-conditioner with heating element. As much as we would love to, we cannot provide a view for all rooms. This particular room looked out onto the street and Signal Hill. I hope we compensate that drawback with our wonderful position.
If there was an incident with the laundry service then we would certainly follow it up and offer compensation. We have outsourced our laundry to the same laundry service for 10 years. A handful of similar laundry incidents have been dealt with before guests checkout, and hopefully most to the satisfaction of the guest.
Further, there is conflict in her comment about nearby restaurants and her review of Wakame restaurant which is walking distance from Head South Lodge.
It is a pity that in light of all the other super reviews we have had, that this review, with inaccuracies, should make its way onto this platform.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
Antrim Villa
#1 of 1 in Green Point
1 mi away
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape To...
#58 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Tow...
#32 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa
Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa
#7 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Head South Lodge? Share your experiences!