“Fabulous oysters & mussels in Mojo Market ”

The Mussel Monger & Oyster Bar
Ranked #132 of 1,323 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Neighborhood: City Bowl
Description: From farm to fork, the Mussel Monger & Oyster Bar’s ethos is to work directly with our sustainable sources, based within the rich waters of the Saldanha Bay. We offer two of the worlds most sustainable seafoods and most importantly, we handle them correctly by housing our produce within our custom built sea water tanks flushed with water from Saldanha. We honestly believe that we serve the best Oysters & Mussels in South Africa and we're aiming on becoming the number 1 supplier of this incredible product to the retail market.
Reviewed January 2, 2019 via mobile

Just visited this cute bar at the back of the Mojo Market. Very reasonable prices (USD) and even better - fabulous food and rosé! Let me preface this review by saying I’m pretty particular with my oysters - or any seafood (a bad batch can ruin your vacay!). The large oysters were fresh, firm, and briney. The cooked mussels - perfectly plump, served with a light, doughy fried accoutrement to dip in the delicious sauce of onion with a touch of cream. Highly recommend the oysters and mussels - I’d say the mussels slightly edge out over the oysters. I’d come back again, which is a rarity on these types of trips. So tasty and a must visit in the Market!!!

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed December 27, 2018 via mobile

These guys serve only 2 things, but they are both excellent! We stopped only for a taste but ended up ordering extra oysters. We’ll visit them as often as possible till the end of our trip.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 23, 2018 via mobile

I have become such a addict to the Mussel monger and support them weekly for my fix. Best mussels served with vetkoek and great oyster prizes. Every time I am blown away. Renovations look great. Capetown_girl will see you next week

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 11, 2018

I tried the mussels and they were outstanding. Cooked to perfection with Garlic and Lemon and lots of butter. They are served with a traditional South African bread that is deep fried, although very fattening, it was amazing.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 19, 2018 via mobile

Tatenda prepared some wonderful mussels for us which absolutely hit the spot!

The mussels were fresh, well prepared and presented but Tatenda was the real star of the show - so cheerful and helpful!

Good eating options in this good market but I strongly recommend this one.

Date of visit: November 2018
Myplacegroup, Owner at The Mussel Monger & Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2018

We've shared your positive feedback with Tatenda!, thanks for a wonderful review.