We were met promptly on exiting arrivals by two hotel representatives and taken to the helicopter transfer area a short drive away. As this was on the tail end of our first SA adventure and we were only staying for 4 nights so, with time not on our side, wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a birds-eye view of the VA area and Table mountain from the air. The helicopter landed near the waterfront (not on-site) and then the same chauffeur picked us up and transported us to the hotel which was barely 5 mins away. Arrival was swift and painless with reception and greeting by name from the doorman through to concierge well coordinated. Perhaps it would have been nice to do the full check-in process in suite, but reception was quiet so no problems there.
Escorted by a concierge, we took a buggy to the island and our One Bedroom Suite which was simply stunning. In blocks of 4, 2 suites per floor these really are well appointed. 2 bathrooms, decent entrance area with a proper well stocked bar, dedicated butler, on demand RC gas fire place, well sized terrace, 2x 50” plasmas, complementary internet, decent range of Nespressos, fabulous main bathroom and ‘ample’ storage space.
Concierge and butler worked overtime to find solutions to some unusual requirements, but all very efficiently. Good turn down service with Belgian chocs, mood lighting, fire place set, evening flowers, petal bath and a wonderful set of candles.
Thoroughly impressed with breakfast at Maze which offered a wonderful spread catering to most tastes. Nobu is far better than in Atlantis, but lacked atmosphere on the evening we were there…. Saying that, the Oysters and Steak were very good.
Pool was heated and pleasant with lots of personnel to assist with towels, beds etc. Plenty of security all round to make you feel safe and exclusive without over imposing.
The Spa deserves special commendation. E-Spa caters to both men and women and the staff were exceptional. Handpicked from all over southern Africa each treatment far exceeded any treatment either of us had had at the Ritz, Conrad, Banyan Tree Bangkok, MO or Four Seasons. This is not to say that the other hotels were bad, far from it – just to say the therapists here were exceptional.
Not too sure why some reviews complain about the distance from the island to reception. We were at the furthest end of the island and could order one of the many carts which take under a minute to reach Maze and a only a couple to reception, but the walk only takes 3-4 mins even with wifey in 14cm GL heels…
Made good use of the hotel transport which was readily available as a fleet of S-Classes and Bentleys at a very reasonable rate.
Perhaps a niggly issue was that the “Island” is surrounded by luxury apartments which are taller and look over the suites ensuring a fishbowl sensation….but hey, just close the curtains. Or leave them open depending on your mood…..
This is a wonderful, classy and glitzy city hotel situated in a second-to-none location at the base of Table mountain with a powerful/celebrity clientele. And, to be fair, I felt that some of the initial reviews were based on people who didn’t actually stay at the hotel or were unlucky enough to witness opening some of the initial opening teething problems which would plague most establishment opening with such fanfare and, let’s face it, ridiculous level of expectation.
Although not cheap, this hotel aims at a certain clientele and value for money is very good for the level of service you receive.
Arrived at this hotel expecting very little and left knowing that there is only one hotel for us in Cape Town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One&Only Cape Town, one of the finest resorts in South Africa. This urban chic resort brings an unprecedented level of luxury to Cape Town, one of the world's most fascinating cities.With captivating views of Table Mountain from its enviable location in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, the resort is a destination unto itself. Discerning travellers are invited to discover the celebrated cuisines of Nobuyuki “Nobu” Matsuhisa and Reuben Riffel, socialise in the high-energy vibe of Vista Bar & Lounge and sample rare and undiscovered vintages at the stunning Wine Loft. The sublime calm of the city's most expansive and sophisticated spa offers an indulgent escape, while NEO Boutique debuts an enviable collection of designer fashions, some available for the first time in South Africa.As the first luxury hotel to open in Cape Town in nearly a decade, the resort is designed to celebrate the city's wine, art, design and spirit, balancing contemporary glamour with an authentic South African style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your One&Only Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- One&Only Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- One And Only Cape Town
- One&Only Cape Town South Africa