“Wow!”
Review of One&Only Cape Town

One&Only Cape Town
Ranked #12 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of a South Africa Tour. This place does not miss a beat. Great service, Great food, and spectacular rooms. We had room service for dinner, and even though we were a decent distance from the kitchen, the food arrived HOT (by golf cart). The spa is really something else! It is ... shall I say ... pricey

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MvanLill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

We pride ourselves in complementing our world class facilities with superb service and our Room Service team is thrilled that they contributed so positively to your experience! Our award winning spa has the most extensive facilities and variety of unique products and treatments available in Cape Town and our Espa products and Bastien Gonzalez Mani:Pedi:Cure studio allows our guests to have the benefit of these treatments exclusively at our resort and nowhere else in South Africa. We are thrilled that you were able to experience this wonderful facility during your stay.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We spent four nights here. We used the outdoor steps to go to dinner. It was very dark and not safe. They later told us they forgot to turn the lights on. The hotel had large groups that were very noisy both in the public areas as well as in the rooms. The kicker was when i went to bed, my wife reminded me I needed to check out as we would be leaving very early. So I got up and got dressed and went down to the desk. He told me I couldn't check out without returning the voltage regulator. So I had to go back to the room, turn on the lights and wake up my wife to find it.
What next return the bathrobe and the towels?
Physically it is a marvelous hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chuck_and_trudy
MvanLill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

We appreciate your honest feedback and your comments have been forwarded to the relevant management for investigation and action. We apologize if you experienced inconvenience with the check-out process and assure you that this is not our standard procedure. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is the last hotel on our South African Tour, so we picked (actually a very knowledgable lady from Kuoni did) a very special hotel known for it's location on it's own island on the V&A waterfront in Cape Town, it's also famous for modern opulent architecture, high end luxury and fine dining.
Ok this is not a budget hotel but when you want to push the boat out ,it's wonderful to not only get what you dream of but much more.
As soon as you pull up the long curved driveway into the entrance, your experience starts, a lovely doorman in tophat greets you , says leave every thing to him just go through to reception and check in. The car is parked for you and when you get to the room the luggage appears, no hassle.
As soon as the hotel realised that this was a 25 year anniversary celebration champagne was offered and an upgrade to one of the hotels famous Island Suites organised, even though the hotel was very full.
A wonderful lady called Diana Romburgh made us feel so welcome and when we got to our room she had arranged champagne and gorgeous choclates , plus a very nice card with best wishes from the hotel.
I cannot begin to say how fantastic the rooms are in the One and Only , suffice to say they are regal in size and designed with comfort and luxury to the highest degree. The facilities would take forever to list but a infinity swimming pool which is naturally oxygenated, Spa, fitness rooms, just to name a few offerings, oh and two world class restaurants.
We will always remember the One and Only Cape Town for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: Main hotel corner rooms enjoy harbour and mountain views, the Island rooms are to die for
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that you chose to celebrate this momentous occasion with us! Through living our brand value of sincere and genuine hospitality we have assisted you to created everlasting memories and we cannot wait for your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was hoping not to write this as I have waited two days for a response to a letter to One&Only's management. We spoke many times with Dianne and Robyn while my husband and I were staying there but the two kind women were nowhere to be seen when we checked out. And now no one has answered our letter. I am sure there will be a creative response to this review. Upon checkout we were given the wrong bill at first, then paid thousands of dollars for the worst "high end" hotel experience of our lives.

If you are looking for a five star boutique design hotel do not book here. The spa meets the criteria (aside from flooding showers and squeaking doors) but the rest of the hotel is dated, scuffed, feels corporate and worn down for the high prices.

First - credit to Dianne and Robyn plus concierges Madnee, Linda, Nigel, so many more, who tried to make things right. It simply wasn't enough given the hotel's advertised class. They are five star people working in a crazy place. After a string of mishaps and then having been given the wrong bill, I left in tears! Unbelievable. My husband and I spent much of our vacation feeling stressed over mistakes made and what would be yet to come. The mistakes always arrived just after we would begin to feel calm.

We paid about $700 USD/night average (7 nights) for an Island King Superior room. If superior means a flooded shower, broken appliances and a tranquil view of circling red tour line boats, a terrace facing a portable toilet and nearby construction, then it was indeed superior. When we voiced concern regarding the shower and noise level the friendly and warm staff instantly responded - there were no comparable rooms, just a suite in the main building. After a 12 hour flight we saw the suite with views of the mountain. In some sort of insane state we were talked into paying an extra supplement, a huge amount, to have the suite. It was my fault for agreeing. The hotel graciously worked with us on that, waiving the fee in the end due to constant mix-ups and blunders. Never in my life have I been asked to pay for an unsolicited upgrade. And like many of us here on TripAdvisor I have had the pleasure in staying in some of the world's top hotels (but I'm really bad about remembering to review! I'll do my best from now on)

Here are the only reasons to stay with this hotel: free stays, weddings, conferences, strong desire to spend most of your time at the V&A Waterfront. If you get $100 USD room facing the mountain, go for it. Otherwise I strongly disagree with the glowing reviews - so much in fact I've wondered if they're fake.

Rather than go through all the daily drama I will add some photos from our room. This was a huge one bedroom suite with sitting room - this category may cost around $1200 USD or more. The mountain was beautiful. The view was kind of like Orlando but with the stunning Table Mountain over it. Inside we had squeaky doors, scratches everywhere, stained curtains, housekeepers leaving the front door open to the hallways with our belongings on the dining table while they were in the back room, etc. The list is just too long to share. And I hate to say it because the staff is well-meaning, efficient with many tasks and they were always friendly to us.

I believe the hotel's upper management and especially owners need to look closely at their pricing and advertising. It simply isn't right. So the restaurants are good and the pool is pretty? Not enough. The best thing about the hotel was their alliance with Jarat tours - who got us OUT of that room for a couple of days.

The photos I'm adding tell some of our tale. I do thank the people who tried to help us at the One&Only. But I can't believe I'm regretful enough of a hotel stay that I cringe when I think of it's name. A sad trip...but one we will certainly not forget.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Amy C
MvanLill, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Naturally we were very disappointed to read of your comments above, particularly as we receive so much positive feedback and we are very sorry that you did not experience the usual high service standards that we pride ourselves in.

On receipt of your e-mail received on the 14th of October 2013, we had attempted to reach you personally to take the opportunity to thank you for your comments and photographs received from your e-mail and to personally assure you that all of the issues highlighted are being regarded in the most serious light and that each issue had been raised with the relevant head of department for review in the particular areas in order to ensure that your experience is never repeated.

Again, we so appreciate the time you have taken to make us aware of the raised issues, it is through such feedback that we are able to rectify, improve and maintain the standards we have set.

We are sorry that we have not been able to reach you and will continue to try and reach out to you so that we are able to give you our personal assurances.

Bridgit Pautz
Executive Manager – Human Resources

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The place is no doubt lovely and at a great location, however I didn't find it worth all the money I paid to stay there for a night. Thankfully it was a Google conference that I needed to attend and the company paid for the hotel, otherwise I would rather stay at other hotels with same amenities (if not better) at a much lower price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shahzad K

We appreciate your honest review and thank you for your constructive feedback. We do hope to that you will be back in the not too distant future to enjoy all that our beautiful resort has to offer.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for 4nights on our honeymoon and was without a doubt the best service we have ever experienced in any hotel! Great afternoon tea, great breakfast, the staff were great and really welcoming and professional! Would recommend to
anyone and would like certainty go back.

• Stayed: September 2013

Our team is thrilled that they played a part in making this momentous holiday a trip filled with everlasting memories. We are definitely the hot spot for the perfect romantic getaway with your loved one. Our tranquil private islands, oversized heated pool, award winning spa and dynamic dining options makes for the ideal setting to celebrate your special moments!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our trip to South Africa and stayed in some marvelous places, but our final destination the One&Only in Cape Town beat them all. It is a great location, excellent rooms, the most amazing helpful and friendly staff. It is discreet and at the same time very elegant. Not to be missed for whatever reason you travel to Cape Town be it on honeymoon, family travel of a business trip.

Room Tip: If you like a view book a room with a view to the Table Mountain, if you like your privacy and quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
MvanLill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

How fitting that we could spoil you as the grand finale of you visit to Cape Town! Our commitment to barefoot luxury has ensured that you had an amazing experience and as you mentioned we are the perfect destination for a family vacation, special celebration or business trip. We hope to see you visit us again for any one of these occasions.