I was hoping not to write this as I have waited two days for a response to a letter to One&Only's management. We spoke many times with Dianne and Robyn while my husband and I were staying there but the two kind women were nowhere to be seen when we checked out. And now no one has answered our letter. I am sure there will be a creative response to this review. Upon checkout we were given the wrong bill at first, then paid thousands of dollars for the worst "high end" hotel experience of our lives.
If you are looking for a five star boutique design hotel do not book here. The spa meets the criteria (aside from flooding showers and squeaking doors) but the rest of the hotel is dated, scuffed, feels corporate and worn down for the high prices.
First - credit to Dianne and Robyn plus concierges Madnee, Linda, Nigel, so many more, who tried to make things right. It simply wasn't enough given the hotel's advertised class. They are five star people working in a crazy place. After a string of mishaps and then having been given the wrong bill, I left in tears! Unbelievable. My husband and I spent much of our vacation feeling stressed over mistakes made and what would be yet to come. The mistakes always arrived just after we would begin to feel calm.
We paid about $700 USD/night average (7 nights) for an Island King Superior room. If superior means a flooded shower, broken appliances and a tranquil view of circling red tour line boats, a terrace facing a portable toilet and nearby construction, then it was indeed superior. When we voiced concern regarding the shower and noise level the friendly and warm staff instantly responded - there were no comparable rooms, just a suite in the main building. After a 12 hour flight we saw the suite with views of the mountain. In some sort of insane state we were talked into paying an extra supplement, a huge amount, to have the suite. It was my fault for agreeing. The hotel graciously worked with us on that, waiving the fee in the end due to constant mix-ups and blunders. Never in my life have I been asked to pay for an unsolicited upgrade. And like many of us here on TripAdvisor I have had the pleasure in staying in some of the world's top hotels (but I'm really bad about remembering to review! I'll do my best from now on)
Here are the only reasons to stay with this hotel: free stays, weddings, conferences, strong desire to spend most of your time at the V&A Waterfront. If you get $100 USD room facing the mountain, go for it. Otherwise I strongly disagree with the glowing reviews - so much in fact I've wondered if they're fake.
Rather than go through all the daily drama I will add some photos from our room. This was a huge one bedroom suite with sitting room - this category may cost around $1200 USD or more. The mountain was beautiful. The view was kind of like Orlando but with the stunning Table Mountain over it. Inside we had squeaky doors, scratches everywhere, stained curtains, housekeepers leaving the front door open to the hallways with our belongings on the dining table while they were in the back room, etc. The list is just too long to share. And I hate to say it because the staff is well-meaning, efficient with many tasks and they were always friendly to us.
I believe the hotel's upper management and especially owners need to look closely at their pricing and advertising. It simply isn't right. So the restaurants are good and the pool is pretty? Not enough. The best thing about the hotel was their alliance with Jarat tours - who got us OUT of that room for a couple of days.
The photos I'm adding tell some of our tale. I do thank the people who tried to help us at the One&Only. But I can't believe I'm regretful enough of a hotel stay that I cringe when I think of it's name. A sad trip...but one we will certainly not forget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One&Only Cape Town, one of the finest resorts in South Africa. This urban chic resort brings an unprecedented level of luxury to Cape Town, one of the world's most fascinating cities.With captivating views of Table Mountain from its enviable location in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, the resort is a destination unto itself. Discerning travellers are invited to discover the celebrated cuisines of Nobuyuki “Nobu” Matsuhisa and Reuben Riffel, socialise in the high-energy vibe of Vista Bar & Lounge and sample rare and undiscovered vintages at the stunning Wine Loft. The sublime calm of the city's most expansive and sophisticated spa offers an indulgent escape, while NEO Boutique debuts an enviable collection of designer fashions, some available for the first time in South Africa.As the first luxury hotel to open in Cape Town in nearly a decade, the resort is designed to celebrate the city's wine, art, design and spirit, balancing contemporary glamour with an authentic South African style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your One&Only Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- One And Only Cape Town
- One&Only Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- One&Only Cape Town South Africa