Situated near the V&A Waterfront is Sol Kernzner’s, One & Only Cape Town. I knew that the One and Only properties have a reputation for being ultra luxurious, and I was not disappointed. From the moment I walked in the front doors I was wowed. Beyond the massive lobby sits a centrally located sitting area and bar - and behind the bar was a wall of glass framing Cape Town’s iconic Table Mountain spectacularly. To the right I spied Nobu, one of the world’s most recognized Japanese restaurants. To the left Reuben’s Restaurant (formerly Gordon Ramsey’s place). As I checked in at the front desk I was informed that I had been upgraded to an Island Suite. Walking (you may travel by golf cart if you wish) out of the back of the hotel you come upon a series of canals that break the main hotel from the Island Suites. I crossed the bridge to where my room was located and the first thing I noticed was one of the largest, most elegant swimming pools I had ever seen. The setting was beyond serene, facing the pool you could see the top of Table Mountain blanketed with clouds (referred to by many as the Table Cloth). I found my room at the far side of the Island and inserted the key. Upon opening the door and gasped with excitement - the room was literally breathtaking. To my left I noticed an espresso machine. To my right, a huge, comfortable looking bed. There was a couch and on the coffee table there was a selection of fresh fruits, candies, and dried meats. Beyond the bed were 2 large sliding glass doors, which led out to a canalside patio. Straight in front of me was an elegant desk, set up for Internet, phone and fax access. The wonderfully spacious bathroom had a stand alone shower to the left, a free standing bath tub in the center and a toilet conveniently placed behind a door to the right. After a full recon there was a knock on my door. It was the housekeeper who asked me if there was anything I needed. She refreshed my fruit and snacks, and left a few more bottles of water. She left and I thought to myself “Strange, I told her I didn’t need anything, but she gave me things I didn’t even know I needed! That is great service.” I threw on some swimming trunks and went for swim - the water was the perfect temperature. The sun was setting and the clouds had lifted from the top of Table Mountain. The setting was from a travel brochure. Back in my room I filled the tub, turned on some music and soaked for an hour. Feeling relaxed, yet refreshed, I walked over and laid down on my bed, and turned the television on. I looked over to the nightstand and noticed a piece of paper that I hadn’t seen before. It was titled, “Scent Menu”. I thought to myself, “How incredible - I can literally choose how I want my room to smell…Amazing.” I looked back at the television and began and stumbled across a setting that allowed me to pick the type of programs that I like and it built a television channel for me. I remember saying out loud to myself “It’s the Pandora of television” (for those of you that don’t know Pandora is a internet site that allows you to create your own radio station – sort of). As cool as all the bells and whistles in my room were, I was not in Cape Town to spend my nights watching television and perusing the scent menu, so I threw on some nice clothes and walked to the front desk. I asked where I could go for dinner if I didn’t want to eat at the hotel. She wrote down a list of her 5 favorite restaurants within walking distance. I thanked her and walked out of the hotel toward the waterfront - Cape Town is a truly a beautiful place. I stopped near the water and people watched . Cape Town has some of the most beautiful, trendiest, people I’ve ever seen. And everyone seems to be in shape. I passed by a few of the restaurants that were on the list and finally decided upon one called Belthazar. The place was packed with young, fashionable people and I had a hunch that it would be good. I sat on the patio, and although very windy, the food was exceptional and the service was stellar. I left the restaurant pleased! I made my way through the waterfront and back to the One & Only. My room had been turned down and everything refreshed. I immediately went to bed and had some of the deepest sleep that I’ve ever had. I woke up early, I called the front desk, and they sent someone to grab my bags. While checking out, the woman at the front desk (who knew that I was playing golf this day) handed me a takeaway breakfast. Nice touch! Overall the One & Only blew me away. It was the nicest room I had during my entire stay in Cape Town. The amenities were unrivalled, the location is superb, the staff went above and beyond to make me feel important, and I truly did not want to leave. I would recommend this property to anyone travelling to Cape Town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One&Only Cape Town, one of the finest resorts in South Africa. This urban chic resort brings an unprecedented level of luxury to Cape Town, one of the world's most fascinating cities.With captivating views of Table Mountain from its enviable location in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, the resort is a destination unto itself. Discerning travellers are invited to discover the celebrated cuisines of Nobuyuki “Nobu” Matsuhisa and Reuben Riffel, socialise in the high-energy vibe of Vista Bar & Lounge and sample rare and undiscovered vintages at the stunning Wine Loft. The sublime calm of the city's most expansive and sophisticated spa offers an indulgent escape, while NEO Boutique debuts an enviable collection of designer fashions, some available for the first time in South Africa.As the first luxury hotel to open in Cape Town in nearly a decade, the resort is designed to celebrate the city's wine, art, design and spirit, balancing contemporary glamour with an authentic South African style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Priceline and HRS so you can book your One&Only Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- One&Only Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- One And Only Cape Town
- One&Only Cape Town South Africa