“The Name Says it All”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Issaquah, Washington
“The Name Says it All”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Situated near the V&A Waterfront is Sol Kernzner’s, One & Only Cape Town. I knew that the One and Only properties have a reputation for being ultra luxurious, and I was not disappointed. From the moment I walked in the front doors I was wowed. Beyond the massive lobby sits a centrally located sitting area and bar - and behind the bar was a wall of glass framing Cape Town’s iconic Table Mountain spectacularly. To the right I spied Nobu, one of the world’s most recognized Japanese restaurants. To the left Reuben’s Restaurant (formerly Gordon Ramsey’s place). As I checked in at the front desk I was informed that I had been upgraded to an Island Suite. Walking (you may travel by golf cart if you wish) out of the back of the hotel you come upon a series of canals that break the main hotel from the Island Suites. I crossed the bridge to where my room was located and the first thing I noticed was one of the largest, most elegant swimming pools I had ever seen. The setting was beyond serene, facing the pool you could see the top of Table Mountain blanketed with clouds (referred to by many as the Table Cloth). I found my room at the far side of the Island and inserted the key. Upon opening the door and gasped with excitement - the room was literally breathtaking. To my left I noticed an espresso machine. To my right, a huge, comfortable looking bed. There was a couch and on the coffee table there was a selection of fresh fruits, candies, and dried meats. Beyond the bed were 2 large sliding glass doors, which led out to a canalside patio. Straight in front of me was an elegant desk, set up for Internet, phone and fax access. The wonderfully spacious bathroom had a stand alone shower to the left, a free standing bath tub in the center and a toilet conveniently placed behind a door to the right. After a full recon there was a knock on my door. It was the housekeeper who asked me if there was anything I needed. She refreshed my fruit and snacks, and left a few more bottles of water. She left and I thought to myself “Strange, I told her I didn’t need anything, but she gave me things I didn’t even know I needed! That is great service.” I threw on some swimming trunks and went for swim - the water was the perfect temperature. The sun was setting and the clouds had lifted from the top of Table Mountain. The setting was from a travel brochure. Back in my room I filled the tub, turned on some music and soaked for an hour. Feeling relaxed, yet refreshed, I walked over and laid down on my bed, and turned the television on. I looked over to the nightstand and noticed a piece of paper that I hadn’t seen before. It was titled, “Scent Menu”. I thought to myself, “How incredible - I can literally choose how I want my room to smell…Amazing.” I looked back at the television and began and stumbled across a setting that allowed me to pick the type of programs that I like and it built a television channel for me. I remember saying out loud to myself “It’s the Pandora of television” (for those of you that don’t know Pandora is a internet site that allows you to create your own radio station – sort of). As cool as all the bells and whistles in my room were, I was not in Cape Town to spend my nights watching television and perusing the scent menu, so I threw on some nice clothes and walked to the front desk. I asked where I could go for dinner if I didn’t want to eat at the hotel. She wrote down a list of her 5 favorite restaurants within walking distance. I thanked her and walked out of the hotel toward the waterfront - Cape Town is a truly a beautiful place. I stopped near the water and people watched . Cape Town has some of the most beautiful, trendiest, people I’ve ever seen. And everyone seems to be in shape. I passed by a few of the restaurants that were on the list and finally decided upon one called Belthazar. The place was packed with young, fashionable people and I had a hunch that it would be good. I sat on the patio, and although very windy, the food was exceptional and the service was stellar. I left the restaurant pleased! I made my way through the waterfront and back to the One & Only. My room had been turned down and everything refreshed. I immediately went to bed and had some of the deepest sleep that I’ve ever had. I woke up early, I called the front desk, and they sent someone to grab my bags. While checking out, the woman at the front desk (who knew that I was playing golf this day) handed me a takeaway breakfast. Nice touch! Overall the One & Only blew me away. It was the nicest room I had during my entire stay in Cape Town. The amenities were unrivalled, the location is superb, the staff went above and beyond to make me feel important, and I truly did not want to leave. I would recommend this property to anyone travelling to Cape Town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Safari_Tim
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Wow, we cannot wait for your next review! Our team is delighted that you have so many amazing experiences and special encounters in such a short time - true One&Only moments! We are looking forward to create more memories with you.

Training and Quality Assurance Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday as well as our Anniversary during our week long stay at the One&Only Cape Town. It was the perfect vacation which began before we arrived with the help of the Concierge staff. Madnee advised us to go to Sanbona Wildlife Reserve for a few days, which was spectacular. Upon arrival, two bottles of sparkling wine awaited us in our room along with a box of macaroons for our daughter. They were also helpful with planning our day trips: a private tour around the Cape, Robben's Island, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, and Ulani purchased our tickets for Table Mountain for us in advance. They reserved our rental car prior to arrival, and Alex (Reception) went above and beyond to make our stay perfect including having our car picked up from the hotel.

On our anniversary, they decorated our room beautifully and gave us small gifts. One of the most exceptional aspects of the resort is the Kids Only Club. Michelle and Phumela made certain our kids had just as incredible a time as we did. Our kids (6 and 4) enjoyed playing games, arts & crafts, and they even had a trip to the Two Oceans Aquarium. It made our trip to Stellenbosch and Franschoek that much more enjoyable knowing they were well taken care of and having a great time. Setting up babysitting for our Anniversary dinner was a breeze as well, Jazel was fantastic.

Dinner at Reuben's was perfect (excellent Filet) and topped off with a birthday cupcake for our daughter. Breakfast daily was superb with hot and cold options. Nobu was great as always, with complimentary glasses of Champagne for our Anniversary.

The hotel was exactly what our family needed. The room was a nice size & immaculate. The balcony on the first floor of the Mountain View room was huge. Great for our kids to run around and play. The location is a five minute walk to the V & A Waterfront and the ferry. The Waterfront had great restaurants and shops. The staff, beginning with the doormen made it really difficult to leave. Really hope we have a chance to return one day!

My first review (ever!) and I can't say enough!

Room Tip: Mountain View Rooms on the 1st floor have a very large balcony with a spectacular view of Table Moun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L0veT0Travel65
Thank you for choosing One&Only Cape Town for your special family holiday and we are thrilled that we were able to contribute to make all the special occasions during your visit so memorable. We love to spoil our guests and the small details and special touches is how we believe we make a difference between an average and exceptional experience for our valued customers. We look forward to see a lot more positive reviews and thus a lot more visits from you!

dublin
Reviewed April 22, 2013

On our way to a wedding in Montagu we spent our first night in Capetown night in the hotel. The room was fabulous with views of both Table mountain and the Marina which the hotel is part of. Right beside the biggest and classiest shopping centre you could imagine the One and Only was perfect for us. The hop on hop off tour bus stops right beside the hotel and is a must for any visitor. We really enjoyed the tour. We dined that evening in NOBU (a part of the hotel ) which speaks for itself - the food was simply out of this world. It is expensive but you get what you pay for here. From the moment you arrive staff are busy cosseting you. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
How wonderful that we could set the tone for a special journey and occasion for you! We are pleased that you had the opportunity to experience the only Nobu Restaurant in Africa. We are proud to have such a renowned and unique brand represented within our resort. Their amazing selection of dishes and the quirky South American flavor infusions allows for a taste journey second to none. Thank you for your positive review!

Sydney
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband chose the One & Only over the Cape Grace Hotel because of the circular bar and we were delighted with our choice. A very modern hotel with great rooms and service making us feel like we were the only people there. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite with fresh fruit provided every day and the room was spotless. We ate at Rubens for dinner our first night where the food was fine but chose to have dinner outside the hotel on other nights as it was within walking distance of the V&A Waterfront. Emanuel made us very welcome at breakfast and we ensured we were in his section of the restaurant for the 5 mornings we stayed. We both had a great massage with Jason in their award winning spa which helped with the jet lag. Overall a wonderful stay with special thanks to Ulani on reception, Nigel the concierge and Diana in guest relations

Room Tip: The views of Table Mountain from your balcony are great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Our Vista Bar Team is thrilled that their beautiful venue at the heart of the resort is what attracted you to our beautiful resort. With a fantastic two story high view of the iconic Table Mountain, the mouthwatering menu and playful cocktail journey Vista is the place to be in Cape Town. Thank you for highlighting the names of the employees who impacted your experience with their personal touches and attention. Your One&Only family cannot wait to welcome you back!

Warm regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my 2nd visit and I loved it even more the 2nd time round.
This time I stayed in a Marina Mountain View King bedroom on the 5th floor with magnificent view of Table Mountain from our room/balcony/bed.
On arrival we were greeted with champagne not sparkling wine while checking into our room which went very smoothly and efficiently.
The flowers and red wine which I had organized were in the room as promised.
The room is smaller than the Island Superior King Room but instead of looking at the opposite apartments, you have a view of the mountain.
The king size bed was firm, the pillows ample, the duvet nice and large for the 2 of us.
Fully stock mini bar which is replenished daily.
Nice selection of various strengths of coffee in the Nespresso machine.
Room service was quick and efficient.
Plenty bath amenities which are replaced daily.
Bath, separate shower with a stool in the corner, and separate toilet.
Curtains black out at night, so nice and dark.
No noise when the balcony door is closed.
Breakfast in Reubens, with a wide choice of hot and cold spread, was tasty. Service was excellent and fast. Their Eggs Benedict I can highly recommend.
Dinner at Nobu was outstanding. It was full but we had excellent service from our waitron.
I especially liked the way she took interest in our choices and recommended dishes for us to try. It is pricey but worth a special treat if you like Japanese cuisine. Sushi was very good.
What I like about this hotel, is that you can take a short stroll and you are on the Waterfront.
Used the spa facilities and had a treatment done.
The beauticians were professional and friendly and performed their treatment perfectly.
The facilities such as sauna, steam bath, vitality pool were perfect, just what I needed. The facility is clean, spot less, with someone cleaning up the used towels, moping floors etc on a constant basis.
The pool which is situated near the Island, is warm and a pleasure to swim in. I especially loved the two corners of the pool where you can have a "whirlpool" effect and get a great water message.
This was a tremendous experience from beginning to end ie from the woman at reservations, whom I dealt with extensively to the service from the individual hotel staff.
I shall be back yet again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor with a view of Table Mountain
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It is such a pleasure for us to spoil our discerning guests when they are celebrating special occasions with us. We are thrilled that our efforts played a part in making this a truly memorable experience for you. We pride ourselves in the small details we can add to create everlasting memories for our guests and we are awaiting your next visit with anticipation.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was where we absorbed our jet lag after a very long plane right from New York. They knew we would be very tired and immediately put us at ease with a cool beverage and some warm, moist towels to refresh us. This set the tone of a very lovely say on the V&A Waterfront and our first experience in Africa. All of the staff took great care of us and seemed to really care about our comfort and happiness. We were always asked by the management about our sleep and our room during breakfast. And I have to comment on the breakfast buffet. Normally I hate buffets but this was truly lovely and everything was impeccably fresh and tasty. We stayed several days, touring the city with our A&K guide and always felt like we were especially welcomed and greeted upon our return. I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if traveling with a family, because the location is especially beautiful and safe.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
We certainly hope that this will not be your only visit to Cape Town and you will return to us very soon! It is encouraging to know that our management team were available to you and contributed to your experience. Our team eagerly awaits your return this year!

Warm regards,

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is for me the best Hotel in Capetown.

Excellent service, best rooms, perfect Spa and a really perfect breakfast plus a Concierge Service which gave us best recommendations for trips inside / outside the city at attractive rates (which you normally dont have at 5 star Hotels)

Lasst but not least, the V+A Waterfrontz with a lot of shopping and a big big variety of restaurants is just a five minutes walk away.

Even at night one can walk this distance without crime

Room Tip: take the table mountain view room - this is perfect
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hendrik S
Thank you for taking the time to write about your amazing experience with us. Your One&Only family eagerly await your return!