“Fantastic staff, amazing hotel!”
Review of One&Only Cape Town

One&Only Cape Town
Ranked #13 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed at the One & Only Cape Town in October 2010 for our honeymoon. Having stayed at O&O Dubai and Mauritius I can say that this hotel has exactly the same high level of service and attention to detail that you would expect.

The rooms are modern & spacious with large stone baths, his & hers sinks and all the mod cons. The food is outstanding with the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen in a hotel. The room where the breakfast is served also doubles up for lunch & dinner and if you fancy something a bit more then there is a Nobu onsite. The main cocktail bar over looking Table Mountain will take your breath away and is a must for pre dinner drinks.

The hotel is in a good location and is within easy walking distance to the waterfront which offers extensive shopping, bars, restaurants, sea-life centre etc.

As with all O&Os it is the staff who make the hotels what they are. We had an amazing time and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sparkyl
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town and for the incredibly kind words with regards to our service, appointment of our rooms and that of our culinary offerings. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our team is thrilled that they were able to provide you with genuine service excellence to create fond memories.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 9, 2011

While in SA I was assulted and robbed. The Hotel staff offered great support and having to leave before the case was resolved was a concern but the hotel offered to continue to chase to get it resolved, If they hadn't I beleive the case would be forgotten.
My great thanks go to Bentley Jeftha Head of Security at the One & Only who has been exceptional. Its through him I hope to see the culprits brought to Justice.

Thank you One & Only I will be back to thank you in person and it hasnt put me off yout beautiful country

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town and for the incredibly kind words with regards to our service, and that especially from our Security manager, Bentley Jeftha. On behalf of the team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your positive feedback with the team.
We are delighted to hear that your love for our country has not been spoilt by this an undesirable incident.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 9, 2011

We had my daughter's wedding at the One & Only in Feb 2011. Our guests, many from the UK, America and Australia and all over South Africa, said that it was the best wedding ever and so was the venue. Everything went according to plan, thanks to Adele Bennett, the Hotel's wedding Consultant. We had the ceremony up in the penthouse, which has 360 degree views of Cape Town and Table Mountain and the Brunch reception in the Ballroom. The buffet was fantastic and everyone enjoyed it.
The rooms are lovely, the beds so comfortable and the honeymoon suite was beautifully decorated with rose petals, champagne and chocolates.
The Hotel is a fantastic venue for an unforgettable Wedding. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Greeting from the One&Only and the beautiful city of Cape Town.
We would like to extend our sincerest thanks for allowing us to be part of your daughter’s special occasion and sharing your experiences with us.
Thank you for your kind words regarding to our venue and the appointment of our rooms. I am thrilled that you and your guests had a fantastic dining experience and will forward your compliments to the team members.
I will share your positive feedback with the team, especially Mrs. Adele Bennett, whom you have spoken so highly of, and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

Truly a One and Only! From the greeting at the door to the luxurious accommodations, from the expansive breakfast buffet to the delightful afternoon tea - the hotel lived up to expectations. The staff were welcoming and dutiful. The 7 Course Tasting Menu at Nobu was over the top! Loved the whole experience and can't wait to come back! Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town. On behalf of the team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our team in Nobu are thrilled you enjoyed their cuisine and service. I will share your positive feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2011

Overall, I thought the One & Only was a very impressive property.

First the pluses:
-The rooms are large and gorgeous, luxurious. The bathrooms were bigger than certain hotel rooms in NYC where I live.
-- The breakfast buffet was amazing. Great way to start the day.
-- The service was top notch except for at the pool (see note below). The concierges in particular were really helpful with recommendations, directions, etc. I am surprised to hear a couple people raise safety concerns, I could not have felt safer at the hotel if it was in Orlando. But then again, I'm a city boy.

The cons:
-The achilles heal of so many luxury places for some reason-- service at the pool--it wasn't terribly busy and no one approached us to ask for drink order, etc.; we had to ask for towels. I think this is one area where they really could concretely improve with just a little effort. It is a gorgeous pool though.
-For some the location will be a huge plus. If you have kids, or are a little nervous about being in a third world country, then you will probably really like the surrounding area. It is walking distance to the aquarium, shopping area, etc. For me though, it was a little too generic and touristy. Kind of like staying at Quincy Market /Fanueil Hall in Boston or the Grove in LA. I think I might opt to stay on Kloof Street next time in Cape Town, just to feel like I was somewhat in the real part of Cape Town, not a tourist development. Of course, it was just a quick inexpensive taxi ride to get to any other part of town.

That said, if you really just want luxurious, pleasant surroundings; if you feel you will get your adventure on safari, and just want creature comforts, you will love The One & Only.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stintino55

We would like to extend our sincere gratitude for choosing to stay at One&Only Cape Town and sharing your experiences with us. I am delighted to hear that you have had a lovely stay.
Thank you for your kind words regarding to our appointment of our rooms, the breakfast buffet and the service received It is a pity that your experience at the pool was not of the level we strive to achieve and would like to reassure you that we have improved the service in this area to prevent similar incidents from happening in future.
I will share your positive feedback with the team, and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Spent 4 nights at hotel, and on the first day my electric razor was stolen from the room. I reported the theft to the reception desk immeadiately, and was told "when this happens we always follow up with a note left in your room later in the day". That was not too reassuring, and made me think this is a common event. But sure enough I got a note in my room that evening saying that they would investigate and get back in due course. But I never heard back, and the same staff serviced my room. I felt compelled to lock up my belongings in my suitcase since, unfortunately, the room safe was not big enought for my valuables and my toiletries. On the last evening I went back to the desk and complained to the manager. He was unaware of the theft, and put me on the phone with the security director who told me he was told I had checked out several days earlier. They were both blaming other people, and were not on top of the situation. The manager also would not reimbure me for the electric razor, which amazed me given that I was paying over $1500 a night for our suite. The hotel was beautiful, and the room just fantastic. Service and food was okay, but not great. I did not feel safe and secure in the hotel, and the management seemed little concerned.

1  Thank MUSC1

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the One&Only Cape Town. Further our telephonic conversation, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies in this format.
We continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

We decided to celebrate an anniversary at the One and Only hotel Cape Town. The reception upon arrival was efficient, unobtrusive and extremely professional. The Island room we stayed in comes highly recommended- the 75 sq metre room is idyllic with a little patio overlooking the waterway. the manager had arranged a tray of treat to welcome us and celebrate our special occasion. the iced beverage was non alcoholic- truly impressive as we don't drink alcohol but did not disclose this and are often presented with sparkling wine/champagne. the butler service and turndown amenities were brilliant. we had the pleasure of booking a spa treatment the next day. the service from marlise was amazing and the couple treatment room a must do.

unfortunately, for breakfast, we had an awful experience which left me with little appetite and tainted what was a perfect weekend. we requested a table on the veranda. the hostess assured us this could be arranged and advised us to select some items from the buffet area while they set the table. about 10 min later we made our way outside only to be told very curtly " you took too long. we gave the table to somebody else." no apology and no alternative was offered. instead we were seated at an unset table and then moved once i complained. the newly 'set' table was also devoid of key items of cutlery and waitrons were virtually non existent.

having stayed at several hotels worldwide and being on the receiving end of sometimes average service- this was appalling for a hotel which claims to have "6 star" calibre. the rooms and the rest of the hotel's service definitely lived up and exceeded expectations. however, the trick lies in a comprehensively superior experience. one which the one and only failed to deliver.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

We would like to extend our sincerest thanks for your recent stay and sharing your anniversary with us.

Thank you for your kind words regarding to our appointment of our rooms and am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation in the welcoming received. I will share your positive feedback with the team, especially Marilise who you have spoken so highly of.

With regards to your comments about the poor service you received at breakfast, I assure you that your comments have been taken in the most serious light. Having reviewed your comments in detail, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the service shortfall that you experienced, as it is most definitely not the standard of service we strive to achieve. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as it is through such feedback that we are able to rectify and improve our standards of service. I have also passed on your feedback to relevant Head of department in order for us to prevent a similar incident from occurring in future.

I sincere hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our Hotel in the not too distant future.

Gerhard