“Disappointed”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #45 of 1,163 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, the City Grill is the oldest steakhouse in the V&A Waterfront. We invite you to discover a truly South African experience… so gather family and friends for a feast of flavour at the City Grill! A place where food has substance, big appetites are essential and South Africa is the flavour of the month, every month!
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Having booked City Grill before we left London on the recommendation of many TA reviwers we were disappointed in the meal overall.
A starter of avocado salad with grilled hallumi cheese was served with the cheese cold and hard. I had assumed that when the menu said 'grilled' it would be hot - my mistake obviously. I ordered a ribeye steak medium to well done, making particularly clear, so I thought , to the waiter that I wanted my steak pink but not bloody. It arrived very underdone. I had to ask for it to be cooked again - on it's return it was better but not much. I really didnt want to send it back again as by this time my husband had nearly finished his food. So I ate some of the oitside of the steak which was cooked more thoroughly.
I did speak to one of the managerial staff about this after the meal. My husband enjoyed his kebab of warthog however.

Overall a disappointment.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank princesspentium
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience to the fullest at City Grill Steakhouse. We generally get fantastic feedback on the salad, but we take your concerns and will investigate this.

Regarding the underdone steak, I can only humbly apologize that it was not done to perfection. We pride ourselves in the quality and the preparation of our steaks and it is disappointing to hear that it did not live up to your expectations. We will definitely investigate and make the necessary adjustments to ensure that we rectify any shortcomings.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and we hope to see you back here soon. Please ask for me on your next visit as I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss the shortcomings with you.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cape Town
“Great Food and service, atmosphere not so much.”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

On 05- Sept we decided to check out City Grill before returning to Germany, this was based on the positive reviews on this website. the food and service was great but the atmosphere however made me a bit uneasy. A lady who is part of management was working on a broken leg. She tried to smile and be pleasant but she looked like she was struggling a lot. As someone in the hospitality industry it made whoever is running the establishment look harsh and heartless. it really dampened my mood and made the dining experience terrible.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank lisa v
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Hi

Thank you for writing a review for City Grill.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and service. Thank you for your concern over one of our managers with her broken foot. I just want to clarify that she is on administration duty after being off work for a number of weeks. We are in consultation with her doctor and on his recommendation that she remains active to keep good circulation in the foot, we have put her on shortened administration shifts. We care a great deal for our staff and would never put them under any unnecessary discomfort.

We value your input and thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Kind Regards
“**OUTSTANDING**”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

On our last week in Cape Town my business partner and I tried City Grill , we were seated inside as it was a cold night,
The atmosphere was great and after looking at the menu we were under sure of what to choose, so we asked our waiter Quentin about his recommendation, he advised on the venison variety for both of us, we asked him to bring a wine with our mains, The Meat was lovely. Best venison option in the country. The wine he brought was out of this world, Sadly we forgot the pinotage's name but was pricey but way worth it, both me and my colleague were both impressed by the means in which the manager removed our skewer and held the menu to show us what we eating, I just want to say thank you and i will surely recommend the restaurant to any meat lover and if there is any way for the restaurant too find out the name of our wine ?

• Visited July 2013
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hi

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us. We are very proud of our food and it is really wonderful to hear such wonderful comments. The wine you guys enjoyed was the Simonsig Redhill Pinotage.

Many thanks and we look forward to your next visit.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Typical South African Cuisine”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A memorable experience enjoyed on a sunny winters day. Situated at the V&A Waterfront this restaurant offers great views of the waterfront, Table Mountain & Signal Hill. The dishes, comprising of a selection of exotic meats and African dishes, were well presented and simply delicious! A great selection of Solms Delta wines (from Franschhoek) are available to choose from. Wine and food pairing can also be enjoyed here. Restaurant is halaal friendly.

• Visited August 2013
Thank Chalan Africa T... C
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you had a great time with us. See you again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fantastic evening”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had a wonderful evening at the City Grill last Friday, well not just last Friday whenever I go to City Grill I have a great time. The food is always well prepared and they have a wide selection of brilliant wines to choose from. Should you have a problem selecting a wine, the General Manager, Barry Nieuwoudt, is always more than competent and willing to assist you. Always pleased with the service I get at City Grill. a big thumbs up!!!

• Visited August 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us and we most definitely look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards