“Good choice in the Waterfront”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #47 of 1,163 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, the City Grill is the oldest steakhouse in the V&A Waterfront. We invite you to discover a truly South African experience… so gather family and friends for a feast of flavour at the City Grill! A place where food has substance, big appetites are essential and South Africa is the flavour of the month, every month!
Germany
“Good choice in the Waterfront”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner with a friend in this restaurant on my last night in Cape Town. The service was great and the food was really good. I had an excellent sirloin steak with salad. My friend had the zebra, which was also good, but i preferred my delicious beef actually! We accompanied them with a wonderful rosé wine from the region. Prices are normal for the Waterfront, and considering the exchange rate euro-rand it was a great value.

barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are delighted to hear that you had a good experience and that the beef and zebra was to your satisfaction.

Many thanks

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The atmosphere was very enjoyable. The waiter was fantastic. The manager even came by and checked on our dining experince. We would definately go back.

• Visited June 2013
Hi

Thank you for writing review.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the evening with us and that the manager checked up that all was good during your meal.

Regards
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
“Cated for our large group”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our group of 12 were well catered for (and they had a TV so one member could watch Arsenal play Wigan ... )

As to my meal
We started with some biltong for the table ... OK ... not a biltong lover, but the olives and bread were tasty ...
Then I had salt and pepper calamari ... Calamari was fleshy and certainly not battered as much as some, but not great ... They were meant to be served with rice which I declined (you end up eating to much when travelling) ... and there was nothing else on the plate, not a sprig of greenery.

Main course I ordered the Kingklip ... OK for fish ... nothing special.

However, the South Africans in the party all liked their steaks and other members said the steaks were excellent ... So the moral of the story ... eat steak ...

Drinks were reasonable, but overall I think we paid a premium for Waterside ... which is OK as the setting was very good.

• Visited May 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are used to dealing with large groups and we are happy we were able to accommodate your group. I am disappointed to read your comments and wished that you brought your dissatisfaction of your meal to our attention on the night, so that we would have been able to address immediately.

I do however like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will most definitely investigate this thoroughly.

Kind Regards
The Hague, The Netherlands
“The best steak ever”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We weren't expecting such quality on the very busy/touristy Waterfront. The beef filet with wine/cognac/mushroom sauce is awesome. Great service as well. Must go!

Coxim, MS
“Good for a mall”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant is inside of the V&A Waterfront. Perfect view of the table montain while you eat. Food was good and prices aren't high for the point. Service is not good, but not so bad. It's a good option if you want to eat inside de mall.

• Visited May 2013