“Good Steak”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #44 of 1,182 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, the City Grill is the oldest steakhouse in the V&A Waterfront. We invite you to discover a truly South African experience… so gather family and friends for a feast of flavour at the City Grill! A place where food has substance, big appetites are essential and South Africa is the flavour of the month, every month!
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went here on the first night in Cape Town, good steak and wine, and not over expensive based on it's location in the waterfront area.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We arrived in Cape Town on 8 October, 2012, after an amazing safari experience in Kruger Park.

On our first day, a while after checking into the Wilton Manor Guest House in Green Point, we wandered down to the V&A Waterfront and acquainted ourselves.

Soon enough, it was time for dinner, and we meandered around, before being warmly greeted by the hostess outside City Grill.

She told us that zebra, an uncommon dish in South Africa, was on the specials menu that night.

We decided to head in. We wanted something African, rather than something we can easily get at home.

We were soon seated, and presented with menus and the wine list.

The wine list was huge, and I spent quite a few minutes flipping back and forth. Wine lovers we are, but we were spoilt for choice, and undecided.

One of the female staff noticed me agonising over the wine list, and offered to send the sommelier over to render some assistance.

I was soon greeted by Barry, with whom we very quickly became friendly as we discussed wine, the types of wines we like and the experience we'd had in South Africa so far.

Barry recommended a few wines to us, including the Meerlust Rubicon (2007 vintage), which we ordered. It was a very pleasant red, and went well with our meals.

The service we experienced at City Grill on our first night was excellent, and the passion exhibited by Barry, as well as the personal service he gave us, made us want to return.

And that we did -- we returned the following night, where we were again greeted by Barry.

We again sought his excellent advice, and after expressing interest in a good pinotage, ordered the Simonsig Redhill pinotage (2009 vintage). Upon tasting it, I uttered "wow". It was a stunning wine, and one I'd rate with the best of Australian reds -- somewhere between Penfolds Bin 389 and Penfolds Grange. It was that good.

Barry spent a lot of time with us that night, discussing wine, and even opening bottles on his account, merely for us to try. He did all but actually eat dinner with us, and we spent a very pleasant evening in conversation about wine, Africa and all manner of subjects. Soon enough, I decided that we needed another bottle of Simonsig Redhill, so out it came, and we continued on, being the last guests to depart the restaurant late that night.

The service Barry offered us with superb, and his passion and level of service made our time in Cape Town infinitely more special. He also recommended wineries for us to visit, as we were heading to Stellenbosch the next day. Simonsig was number one on my list, and we were fortunate enough to buy the last four bottles of the 2006 vintage of the Redhill pinotage.

So impressed were we by Barry's service, that I told him I'd send him a bottle of one of my favourite Australian wines: Kaesler Vineyards' "The Bogan" 2008 shiraz. And that I did. I am looking forward to hearing Barry's views about it, and we remain in contact.

All of the staff did an excellent job of serving us during both of our visits to City Grill. It is a restaurant which has a family-oriented feel with a name, dishes and prices to suit, but with a service level of a much more premium restaurant. The food was very enojoyable and of a high standard.

We thoroughly enjoyed both of our visits to City Grill, and highly recommend Barry. He was an excellent host, and brought us into contact with some stunning wine.

We will definitely return to City Grill the next time we're in Cape Town.

For a really good night with excellent food, presented very nicely and served very well by staff who care about service, be sure to drop into City Grill on the V&A Waterfront.

1  Thank Xenedis
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

The best thing about this restaurant is the guy at the door telling you how good it is. Bad service, average food. Would not recommend it to anybody. Walk past and make a better choice!

1  Thank Nupower01
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this site. We value all input, whether positive or negative. We have been trading for the past 13 years in the V&A Waterfront and have established ourselves to be one of the top steakhouses in Cape Town.

We are extremely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your evening with us. We would be very grateful if you could share the details of your disappointment with us by mailing me at info@citygrill.co.za in order for me to investigate this fully. We take any feedback constructively as we strive for excellence in all departments.

Many thanks for your feedback and i look forward to hear from you.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I know you are supposed to try the steak here, but being from Australia where we already have great steaks, we went there to try African game. We had kudu and spring bok and though we do still prefer beef, it was definitely worth a try, and where else to do so than in Cape Town. The game meat was thinly sliced, and served with pepper sauce for the kudu.
We had a glass of house red from the region and it was nice, though you can tell I am no wine connoisseur!
My son had the fillet steak and he said it was good, and he definitely knows his steak like any true Aussie.
So I think it was a worthwhile choice at the V&A especially if you are game for game!
Servers were polite and cost was moderate considering this is after all a top tourist destination.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at this waterfront restaurant this week after reading reviews on TA. Possibly the best steaks we have eaten, bar South America. I had a new fillet on the menu which was delicious, succulent and my husband had the rib-eye which he thoroughly enjoyed too! A lovely ambience and well trained staff, make this a must visit restaurant when visiting the mother city!

barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review for us. We appreciate the kind words. We strive for excellence and it is always great to hear such wonderful words. Many thanks and we hope to see you back here soon. Regards