Dock House Boutique Hotel
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$168
$146
Hotels.com
$155
$115
Protea Hotels
  • Restaurant
Cape Heritage Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$118
$110
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Cape Town City Centre(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$125
$114
Hilton
  • Pool
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$738
$418
$182
  • Pool
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$240
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
$653
  • Breakfast included
The Commodore(Cape Town Central)
$190
$150
Agoda.com
Cape Grace(Cape Town Central)
$538
$427
Agoda.com
All reviewsqueen victoriafirst floorsister hotelbeautifully decorated bedroomperfect breaksunbathing areabig wheelperfect locationspecial place to staybalcony overlookingbedside tabledash restaurantferris wheelcape wheelbreakfast roomour honeymoonhuge bathroom
Reviewed May 21, 2010

My partner and I just returned from our second trip to South Africa (this time to get married and have our honeymoon). We stayed for 4 nights at the Dock House, 3 nights at La Residence in Franschhoek (where we were married), 3 nights at the Plettenberg in Plettenberg Bay, 5 nights at Singita Boulders, 2 nights at the Saxon in Johannesburg, and 5 nights at Azura on Benguerra Island in Mozambique.

The Dock House was amazing, and the Suite there was particularly wonderful. We had previously stayed at one of the Penthouse Suites at the Cape Grace 6 years ago, but this time I opted for a more intimate setting in the Dock House...and it didn't disappoint. Our suite was lovely, sizeable, and well appointed, with a lovely sitting room, a reasonably sized bedroom, and a wonderful bath, as well as a cute outdoor sitting area outside the bedroom. Most of all, the service at the Dock House was, as every previous review here suggests, simply fantastic. We don't pay a lot for just a big room or suite--we pay more in the expectation for great service. And the Dock House delivered on all counts.

I also have to say that I was surprised how close the Dock House was to the V & A waterfront area. It was even easier to get to than it was from the Cape Grace. In fact, for 2 nights we had drinks at the Cape Grace's Whiskey Bar, and it was an easy 5 minute walk back to the Dock House. (Though we also were impressed with the renovated Cape Grace and Whiskey Bar--they did an outstanding job.)

Considering the Suite at the Dock House was considerably less expensive than the Penthouse at the Cape Grace, we feel like we really got quite the deal. The room was comparable, if lacking the rooftop view from the Penthouse, but that mattered much less to us. The service at the Dock House was easily comparable if not slightly better and more personable than what we recall from the Cape Grace, as well. I was concerned beforehand that the lack of restaurant would be a problem, but breakfast there was incredible, and the room service menu from the V&A hotel sufficed when I required a late night snack--and the convenience to the whole waterfront made not having a formal restaurant completely moot for us. Others requiring an in-hotel restaurant might better consider the Cape Grace or V & A, but for us, the Dock House was perfect.

In short, we know that we will absolutely return to the Dock House on our successive visits to Cape Town. It is my favorite city in the world, and the Dock House is now my favorite property in Cape Town. I recommend it to everyone with as much enthusiasm as I can muster.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bill R
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I can only reiterate what the other reviewers have said in as much as we too were up-graded on arrival and spent five glorious nights at this hotel. The staff at both the V & A (in which we were originally booked) and the Dock House were excellent. We thought the food first-rate and the service at the buffet breakfast at the V & A, which previous reviewers have critised for being slow, was not evident during our stay.Even if you stay at the Dock House you can still go the V & A for breakfast overlooking Table Mountain. I would thoroughly recommend the Dock House it you want to stay in a safe, peaceful and elegant hotel. Thank you Michelle and your staff for making our holiday in wonderful Cape Town so special.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leoSunnyDorset
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We got upgraded from the V&A hotel at the Waterfront to their sister-boutique hotel, Dock House, upon arrival in Cape Town.
The hotel is absolutely stunning!! We were greeted my Michelle, one of the very friendly managers, and she showed us around the room and hotel.

The bedroom and bathroom were impeccable: chandelier in the bedroom, the bedroom so big that you could easily host a party with all of your friends, the bathroom with double sinks, walk-in-shower (nearly as big as our whole bathroom in London), tub and again enough space to dance a tango in.

Every evening you get a little sweet goodie on your bedside table which is delicious and is a very nice touch. The breakfast is a la carte and the staff is happy to accommodate any special requests. The pancakes with blueberry compote and sweetened mascarpone are simply to die for! My partner was a fan of the eggs benedict wrapped in Ostrich carpaccio.
The staff is very friendly, eager to help and go about their duties in an unobtrusive manner. They give the whole hotel the feeling of a home.
The ground floor rooms open up onto the grass and pool outdoors and the upstairs rooms give you a nice view over the waterfront. The rooms are quiet which again is a plus over the Piazza facing rooms of the V&A where it can get a bit noisy at nights.

The pool, spa and gym facilities are shared with the V&A hotel but the benefit is definitely that while the V&A folks need to cross the street it's all right on your doorstep.

I can absolutely recommend this hotel - even better when you get upgraded!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carpediem010
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This is a beautiful boutique luxury hotel with only 6 rooms/mini suites. Like some other travellers, we were upgraded from the V&A hotel on the waterfront. The rooms & decor are fabulous, very well done and gives a feeling of decadence and indulgence. The actual location is also fantastic, on a height & a bit removed from all the hustle & bustle. My niggle is that it's almost too much so, the staff are that little bit too subservient for my Irish/Aussie tastes! However, overall, when I go back to Cape Town I probably will stay again! It is very romantic, and would be excellent for a honeymoon or romantic getaway.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank audreylou
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We stayed at Dock House for four nights in November and absolutely loved it! We wanted to stay in the waterfront area but didnt want one of the large hotels. Our travel agent suggested this one. I was a little nervous because it was new and had not even been reviewed on tripadvisor yet. When we arrived all of my worries went out the window. First off, this place is extremely luxurious. The staff was so friendly and very helpful. The rooms were big, beautiful, stylish and spotless. Our room had a balcony that had an awesome view of the waterfront. The location was perfect, just a short walk down the hill into the waterfront. It was very quiet and serene in the hotel. The breakfast was so good, as was the room service. If you want to stay at a luxury five star hotel in the waterfront, this is THE ONE! You will not be dissapointed. Staying at Dock House was one of our favorite things about Cape Town.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple