“Highly recommended”

Cape Town Backpackers
London
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We ended our African journey here and we are glad we chose it. We were recommended by its sister hostel in Lusaka. They seem to understand overland travel people, like Lusaka they have a large secure and (seemingly unusual for central Cape Town) totally free car park. And because they have proper free Internet with no restrictions we are able to sit here and give them a review! Thanks to everyone here for making our stay so much fun.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a great view of Table Mountain!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil S
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi Neil, thanks for the review. We know it sounds silly but we've spent enough time trying to find car parks that our own Landys will fit in to know how important it is! Thanks for the review and enjoy your , er, little drive home!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here back in january for just under a week and have been travelling in different areas of the world and can honestly say this is the best hostel I have stayed in, Andy has done a great job and all the staff and guests were really friendly. The atmosphere was great, food and drinks were cheap and its close to everything. Had a great time and I will most definitely be back the next time I'm in CT!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
AndyCTBP, Owner at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hey Greg, thanks for taking the time to do the review, really appreciate it. I hope you are both enjoying life down under :) Andy
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Location: great, a little quieter than Long Street but only a few blocks away.
Staff: super friendly.
Private rooms: quite expensive for very basic, but old building charm.
Dorms: ok - bunk beds are actual bunks, not two beds stacked, but it could have been cleaner.
Kitchen: ok - hot plates suck to cook on and cooking oil not always provided, small fridges
Cleaning staff: someone stole money from a private room, then tried again to get into my locked bag when I was in a dorm (guaranteed it wasn't the family of four who were out all day).
Overall...not bad, a little pricey (esp. private rooms), they really need to do something about their staff stealing cash.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Kuruma135
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi, We're really glad you liked our location and us. We do try to be super friendly, even on Sunday mornings :) To reply to your other points. You room was more expensive as you know because you decided to stay in a double room on your own not a single room. However I'm most upset and suprised by the stealing accusations, we take this very seriously and the staff (the super friendly ones remember) are very proud of the hostel and its reputation. I just wish you had mentioned this to us whilst you were here so we could have reacted to it instead of posting it all over the web after you left. Oh well, I guess it wasn't to much of a concern to you as you stayed with us twice and didn't use the room safe! But thanks for the feedback anyway, its always nice to be told we're super friendly !!!
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have backpacked for 2 years and this has to be one of the best hostels we have stayed in.
The staff could not have been more helpful. We had a lower ground floor room with ensuite and a fantastic private garden which we sat in every evening with friends.
The hostel was close to Long street but still quiet with many restaurants and bars within walking distance as well as 2 supermarkets.
They have a well stocked bar with great happy hour deals but it is not noisy.
Kitchen was well equipped but oven/hobs were poor, however we still managed to cook a meal.
We stayed for 10 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having seen friends hostels at a similar and higher price we can safely say this is also great value for money.
We would not hesitate to stay here again it was truly a home from home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank eblair80
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look at the hobs and we'll see you guys next time your in Cape Town. Thanks again CTBP
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here in April, at the end of the busy summer season. Enjoyed Cape Town as a whole, but it was good to have a solid base to work from. Booking on HostelWorld was easy, checking in didn't take long and found service throughout to be good. Stayed in a room with the nicest sheets I've had at any backpackers. Was surprised the internet was free, not the case in other backpackers here. Food's also cheap and decent, good to start with a fry up before setting off. Staff great setting up tours and giving advice. Hot German bartender!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ba346
Hi, thanks for the review. I'll make sure our German barman sees this, you'll make his day :)
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We loved this place. It Has a good mix of people, there is always someone at the bar to chat with and party if you want. we had a super clean room, good value food and a good location. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tomsworld2013
Hi, thanks for reviewing us. All comments are really appreciated and the good ones mean a lot to all the team. Thank you :)
Camano Island, Washington
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I love Cape Town Backpackers!!  I originally booked for 3 days but landed up staying for 3 months!  Rooms are clean, and it's close to everything you need including Long street (without actually being on Long street which means its much quieter and safer).  It really has a vibe to suit anyone.  If your looking for a party, the bar has such a nice atmosphere, and they do theme parties on occasion.  If your more keen to have a quiet and relaxing time then the rooms, balconies, and tv room is just for you.

The staff was amazing, the bar men took me out at night, and even the cleaning ladies arranged a good time out at Mzolis.  The owner himself sat down and helped me plan my trip all the way from Cape Town to Kruger with suggestions on accommodation and places to stop and see.  Even on Christmas when I was homesick the staff organized a braai.  I have backpacked through 36 countries and never have I stayed at such a warm and welcoming environment.

The rooms are nicer then most hotels I have stayed in (especially in Africa), very lovely, some even with private balconies with amazing views of Table Mountain.  I went shark diving and wine tasting and they planned everything for me.  I have no complaints...

On that note, when I read that some people rated this place as "poor" I read what they wrote and nearly laughed out loud!  This is a backpackers!  If you want privacy - don't book into a 10 bed dorm,  if you don't want the manager to ask you for money - pay for your room,  if you don't want your car to get broken into - park in the secure parking lot, etc etc etc.   I guess I have half a brain so my stay was amazing.

Highly recommended, and I will definitely stay here again when I return to Cape Town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lacey D
AndyCTBP, Owner at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for the review.We couldn't agree with you more :)