“Comfy and affordable in a great location.”

Cape Town Backpackers
“Comfy and affordable in a great location.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here in April, at the end of the busy summer season. Enjoyed Cape Town as a whole, but it was good to have a solid base to work from. Booking on HostelWorld was easy, checking in didn't take long and found service throughout to be good. Stayed in a room with the nicest sheets I've had at any backpackers. Was surprised the internet was free, not the case in other backpackers here. Food's also cheap and decent, good to start with a fry up before setting off. Staff great setting up tours and giving advice. Hot German bartender!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ba346
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi, thanks for the review. I'll make sure our German barman sees this, you'll make his day :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We loved this place. It Has a good mix of people, there is always someone at the bar to chat with and party if you want. we had a super clean room, good value food and a good location. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Tomsworld2013
Hi, thanks for reviewing us. All comments are really appreciated and the good ones mean a lot to all the team. Thank you :)
Camano Island, Washington
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I love Cape Town Backpackers!!  I originally booked for 3 days but landed up staying for 3 months!  Rooms are clean, and it's close to everything you need including Long street (without actually being on Long street which means its much quieter and safer).  It really has a vibe to suit anyone.  If your looking for a party, the bar has such a nice atmosphere, and they do theme parties on occasion.  If your more keen to have a quiet and relaxing time then the rooms, balconies, and tv room is just for you.

The staff was amazing, the bar men took me out at night, and even the cleaning ladies arranged a good time out at Mzolis.  The owner himself sat down and helped me plan my trip all the way from Cape Town to Kruger with suggestions on accommodation and places to stop and see.  Even on Christmas when I was homesick the staff organized a braai.  I have backpacked through 36 countries and never have I stayed at such a warm and welcoming environment.

The rooms are nicer then most hotels I have stayed in (especially in Africa), very lovely, some even with private balconies with amazing views of Table Mountain.  I went shark diving and wine tasting and they planned everything for me.  I have no complaints...

On that note, when I read that some people rated this place as "poor" I read what they wrote and nearly laughed out loud!  This is a backpackers!  If you want privacy - don't book into a 10 bed dorm,  if you don't want the manager to ask you for money - pay for your room,  if you don't want your car to get broken into - park in the secure parking lot, etc etc etc.   I guess I have half a brain so my stay was amazing.

Highly recommended, and I will definitely stay here again when I return to Cape Town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lacey D
AndyCTBP, Owner at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for the review.We couldn't agree with you more :)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Between Hotel and Backpackers you have both here , the staff the management are on the button for anything you need. You need to go no farther than this place, its location and closeness to the city and mountains you could not ask for more. Everything is on foot and I mean it , restaurants pubs and clubs and mountains , honestly you could not go wrong. The people you might meet and enjoy all I can say is , it's cosmopolitanism personified and that's the truth so go and enjoy because I did 110%.

Thanks Andy

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DouglasBB70
AndyCTBP, Owner at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
It was a pleasure having you stay! The kitchen still looks good BTW.. hopefully you'll head this way again soon. Andy
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Cape Town back packers is one of best central city based travelling lodges I have stayed in, throughout Africa. I stayed at the other one in central CT for a night and checked out - it was awful. I know most people like to be near the action, but when it is on top of you 24/7 then it gets a bit much. CTBP was just 10 mins walk away in a safe and attractive suburb so you got the best of both worlds, plus my room when you opened the shutters was at the base of Table mountain - just perfect.

food is cheap and tasty. Rooms are clean and functional. the cleaning girls and bar staff always had a smile. Met up with some great people and Andy (Who is a terrible Ginger mimicker of Michael Caine in Zulu) really helped with planning our time whilst in CT. I gave it a 5 out 5 for fitness centre, not because they had one, but I run a lot and what better place can you have than running up to table mountain and Lions head from your digs - which I did on several occasions whilst at CTBP. Bliss. Made the time there.

The place is so good - I am going back, but with my young family. I am more than happy that the place will accommodate us as a family and I would rather be with like minded travellers than pay £200 a night for a posh and over priced hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FranJones73
Thanks for the review, it's always nice when guests take the time to say good things :) looking forward to your next visit. CTBP
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed for a week at Cape Town Backpackers. The staff were fantastic -- if you stay for a few days like I did, you'll have a chance to meet all sorts of cool people at the (modestly priced) bar every night. The management keeps the place reasonably quiet at night; just head down the street to any number of fantastic restaurants or bars in the Kloof Street area. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and there seem to be a range of private and shared options. The internet worked well, and there are a couple of shared computers if you need one. The staff provided a great recommendation for a wine tour. It was the highlight of my trip! I highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Some really nice private rooms with balconies facing table mountain. In any event, book early, as t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank woof-woof-arf
Thanks for the review, we'll try to make sure you get your table mountain view next time!
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Me & my new husband started our backpacking honeymoon here and the people who owned & ran it were fantastic! Really helpful & friendly. We stayed in a private room rather than dorms (understandably!) and we're given a lovely ensuite room with a balcony & view of table mountain :)
We went on an amazing wine tour recomended by the staff, they helped us find great onward accomodation and gave good advice about booking trips to Robben Island etc. Our last night at the bar was a great introduction to South African partying (and left me just a little rough for my long train journey to Johannesburg the next morning!)
6 weeks later we chose to stay with Cape Town Backpackers on our way out of South Africa. This time we were given a different private ensuite room with balcony ...which was even nicer!!
Defenetly recomend!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank LuYork
Hi, thanks for the review. The train journey wasn't to bad! Hopefully we'll see you guys again when you relive the honeymoon. Hope your enjoying married life and see you soon :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Town Central
Once in Cape Town
#9 of 128 in Cape Town Central
The Backpackers in Green Point
#1 of 128 in Cape Town Central

Been to Cape Town Backpackers? Share your experiences!