“Worst experience ever”

Cape Town Backpackers
Mechelen, Antwerpen, Belgium
“Worst experience ever”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you like bed bugs, dirty rooms and all night after party noice, then this is the place to be. The staff are '[--] volonteers' (their own words) from Europe and some of them are unfriendly. Never paid so much for such awful accommodation. I had to be treated for the numerous insect bites upon my return in Belgium.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi, I'm shocked by your review. Wow. I'm sorry we didn't upgrade your room as you requested but really? Well, as TA won't remove this review as blackmail as requested I shall respond. 1. bed bugs and dirty rooms. We do from time to time have insects in the building, this is Africa after all. We inline with most hostels and hotels in Africa deal with any issue quickly and easily and it s never an issue, I suggest that if you don't like insects maybe you should'avoid hot countries, maybe stay in Belgium. Dirty rooms, This wasn't serious enough for you to mention it whilst you were here and you stayed for 5 days. 2. The staff, we don't have volunteers, we have staff. If you found one with an odd sense of humour then good for you. I've worked here for 5 years, although sometimes I feel like im volunteering I happen to rather like it and I normally like the guests, there are exceptions. If we were unfriendly you never mentioned it whilst you were sat at the bar chatting with us, odd. 3. You've never paid so much. Oh, well I've checked our prices and on HW and can see we are cheaper than most so please let me know where else you have stayed, as they are so cheap I might go there on my next holiday. 3. Insect bites in Belgium. Shame that you got bitten when you got home, it can't have been nice happening after you got back from holiday but thanks for letting us know. So in conclusion I hope you enjoy staying somewhere else if you are ever back in Cape Town and maybe they will upgrade you so you don't have to review them again. Thanks for the feedback anyway, this has been fun. Andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at CT Backpackers following on from a safari trip just outside Kruger.

First problem occured after we had pre-booked an aiport pickup. The guy was about 20 minutes late (admittidly not the end of the world) but then tried to make us stay in the airport (it was 10.45pm) for another hour to wait for a later flight to arrive with some other guests to save him two trips! After arguing he eventually took us to the hostel but still a pain and not what you want after a long day travelling.

Second problem occured when we arrived and the guy checking us in was completely wasted. Appreciate it was late and that it is a fun backpacker hostel but still he tried to make us pay for a room twice and seemed more concerned in pushing a Mexican evening then actually getting us to our room. We then found a note on our door the next morning asking us to make sure we paid for the room before we left. I then went down to talk to them about this, spoke to the same guy as who had checked me in the night before and who then basically denied any knowledge of him checking us in (presumably because he couldn't remember doing it). A much more helpful member of staff eventually found my fully paid receipt stuffed behind the bar. I got no apology from the drunk one at all.

All being said the room was decent and tidy and you can't knock the place for the location. I would presume our stay would have been much more enjoyable if not for the above issues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hi, Thanks for the review and we're glad you seem to have liked the room and our location. I'm sorry you had an issue with your airport pick up company, If you let me know who it was I'll be sure to pass this on to them. We don't run airport pick ups so I think it's a bit unfair of you to go on about it on our review. Im glad that the issue with us taking payment for your room was sorted out as you say by a helpful member of staff. Thanks again. CTBP
Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a fantastic time at Cape Town backpackers, so much so that I found myself back there numerous times on my 7 month trip around Southern and Eastern Africa.

It has the perfect location in central Cape Town, very close to Long St, Table Mountain, Lions Head etc, but it's also far enough away from the bars etc to allow a quiet nights sleep.

Right from check in you can tell that the staff here are keen to please. They are friendly and keen to liven up the atmosphere, while also helping with travel bookings, orderingtours, cabs, (and even pizza!). Leah the manager is a wealth of knowledge on all things Cape Town, and if you happen to be travelling Africa overland in your own vehcile, Andy (the other manager), is the perfect bloke to ask for experienced advice.

The rooms and bathrooms are always clean, the breakfasts available are fantastic value, and the bar is about as good a place as any in Cape Town to let your hair down after a long day of hiking..........or shopping. They have a lot of off street secure parking if you hire or own a car, and 24 hour security, even though it seemed very safe the whole time I was there.

Absolutley 5 stars, was the best Backpackers I've found in Africa, I can't wait to get back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hitshard
AndyCTBP, Director of Beverage and light snack product marketing and sales (eastern end of the bar) at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Always a pleasure old boy, Always a pleasure :)
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Had an amazing time, thanks to all the staff. It was clean, the tours were the best. You have to go on their wine tour, bruce is a legend. I loved the bar, the prices are good and its a super friendly place. I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank gcworldtrip
AndyCTBP, Guest Relations Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Hi, Thanks for the great review! Don't forget if your travels take you to Zambia to come and see us at our place in Lusaka. See you soon, Andy
East London, South Africa
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Such a great place! I stayed there for about two weeks over Christmas and New Years. The staff were awesome, so friendly and super helpful! They knew everyone that was staying at the hostel, which made it comforting. There was always a great hat party that was going on! The people that stayed at the hostel all got along like a family. Breakfast was delicious! definitely a party hostel, but if you needed your down time it was good for that too! Loved every second of it!! Thanks for a helluva good time :)

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Amelia K
Hi, It was a great Christmas! A bit hot having the full dinner but you have to do it, it wouldnt be Christmas without crackers and stuffing. Don't forget if your travels take you to Zambia to come and see us at our place in Lusaka. See you soon, Andy
Hermanus
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Love the staff, very very helpful and patient. Leah answers the e-mails very quickly and efficiently.
En suit room was tidy, so was the bathroom. Liked the attached balcony so I could leave the door open at night for fresh air which I loved. Felt safe, too.

Only thing is the walls seem to be terribly thin.At some point I thought someone walks in my room until I realize the wooden floor just carries noise like that from next door.
Also kitchen noise carries up to the first floor where the rooms are. I don't think people realize that though so no offense.

The crowd itself was heavy on the partying side which was nice and good fun. Love the bar downstairs.
All in all repeatable :)

Room Tip: It might help to specially ask for a quiet room, not facing the inside yard as you hear people talki...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank globe_watching
Hi, Thanks for the feedback, Leah is super efficent on emails! We've been looking at new door seals to combat the echo in the building you were in, it'll be solved very soon. But glad you enjoyed your stay and would come back and don't forget if your travels take you to Zambia to come and see us at our place in Lusaka. See you soon, Andy
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Cape Town backpackers is terrific. The facility is clean & well maintained with great outdoor hangout space. The bar is fun and active. The cafe serves cheap breakfast till 1pm and they hook you up with free internet. But the staff really sets this place apart. Every single person I met who works there has a terrific attitude and genuinely wants to interact with you and make the place as fun as possible. Got great recommendations on tours, info on restaurants and basically the low down on anything I had a question about.

We booked a private twin with en suite bathroom and basically had all the comforts of a hotel with the huge social benefits of a really exceptional hostel. This place really enhanced our trip to Cape Town. Could have stayed there much longer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeff K
Thanks for the review Jeff, we're glad we found a room with high ceilings for you ! It was great having you stay with us and we hope you come back again very soon.