“A mountain view”

Ranked #77 of 1,223 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Established by the inimitable Freda, Cafè Paradiso immediately set the bar for local cuisine and, from its inception, introduced us to a variety of dishes and ingredients seldom before experienced locally. Loving the idyllic setting and the warm ambience, Capetonians eagerly tucked into exotic and ‘foreign’ fare such as tzatziki, dolmades and babaganoush as well as the delicious country-style dishes which emanated from Paradiso’s bustling kitchens. Joined by three more formidable women, Laurille, Lynn and Mapula, Frieda and her team remained the heart of city trading with a lineage of values forming the foundation of this amazing establishment.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We slogged up Kloof Street thinking that the Cafe Paradiso was not at the top - it was! But what a fabulous location when we got there, with Table Mountain in the background - we sat in the lovely garden under an umbrella, just gazing upwards.
We both had the free range rosemary chicken covered in a delicious herbed salad, served with quinoa tomatoes and feta, and of course chips.
Delicious local white wine and foamy coffee to finish.
All in all a delightful restaurant with fresh good food, and we will come again, but might take a taxi up next time!!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I went to Paradiso with some friends a few weeks back and was impressed with everything except for the fact that some of the items on the menu seem weirdly overpriced and one 1 of our 5 meals was well below average. That's not to say the food isn't good, the other 4 of us loved our meals. But anyway, I would definitely recommend the place and I would go back, especially to sit outside in the gardens. I would just be careful of what I order.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

It is such a pity that I have to write this mail as Paradiso is one of my favourite restaurants. I mailed Paradiso on Monday to make a reservation for 4 pax – never got a reply. Called on Tuesday to increase the table to 6pax, was greeted by a very helpful lady. On Wednesday, I called to inform the restaurant that the table will be back to only 4 pax as two friends could not make it.

When I arrived at 7.45pm last night, the waiter had to consult with what seemed to be the Manager for our table. I requested in my mail that we be seated to the right of the restaurant, instead we were seated at the 6 seater table at the back door. I then asked the waiter if it would be possible to please take the extra two settings away. This seemed like a huge inconvenience to him and was very noticeable in his body language. He then took the two settings away, leaving the table a mess. About five minutes later, I had to call him offer again and asked if he could possible get someone to remove the other two chairs also, which he did. My friends arrived shortly thereafter.

After about 20mins, we eventually managed to get the waiter's attention to order some drinks. We ordered from a girl (very helpful, not our waiter). After probably around 40mins, with no waiter in sight we then had to ask the table opposite us if they could please call our waiter – he was standing at the back till, with his back to the restaurant, having a great chat to some colleagues. We managed to get him to our table and he informed us that we had to order soon as the kitchen will be closing in half an hour. Again, he disappeared. We then managed to get his attention again and asked if he minded to please take us through the specials. It seemed that he'd rather be somewhere else than attend to our table, or work at all that night. He then took out his notebook and started reading off the special – could not even read it properly and didn't even know the prices to some of the specials. We then ordered and had a great meal. Food, fantastic as always. Shortly after we finished our meal, he came back to our table and asked if we'd like to order another round of drinks as the restaurant will be closing in five minutes. At this stage around 10.30pm. We asked for the bill and again he disappeared. Unable to get him to bring the machine to make payment, we got up and asked the manager at the front desk to please send someone to attend to payment.

I have never had such a disregard from a waiter to the experience he was offering to his guests – needless to say on a bill of just over R700, he got a ZERO tip…and it actually didn't look like he minded at all!

It is such a pity that such disinterested staff is bring down the great reputation that Paradiso is known for – he certainly has left me with very little desire to return to one of my favourite restaurants in the near future!

PS: Nobody has bothered to respond or comment on my email or Facebook communication, hence me posting on this platform...wishing you best of luck, clearly don't mind losing business!

3  Thank Morné Christian S
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had dinner here 2x...love it and the staff. Very close to our hotel, just a few blocks. GOOD FOOD GOOD WINE

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We dropped in here for dinner one evening. It turns out that they were booked with reservations, but they were able to squeeze us into a table as long as we finished in an hour. We were in a hurry anyhow so this worked out fine. The food was good and we enjoyed our quick meal.